We had a wonderful 4 night stay at Macal River camp at the end of May. The cabins were simple, tidy, and comfortable. The deck with its hammock and chairs was a great place to relax and listen to jungle sounds. We had some rain which I believe helped keep it a little cooler in the evening as there are no fans (no electricity). The shared showers and bathrooms were clean and very easily reached by a quick walk on a path.
The meals (breakfast and dinner are included) were delicious and plentiful. Our dietary needs were considered and we were even asked what we wanted to eat! We wanted local food/menus and were never disappointed They were very accommodating with meals times as well; for example, serving us breakfast later when we went on a bird walk. We also enjoyed conversations with Dosio and Richard.
Macal River Camp provides visitors with an opportunity to enjoy the grounds and facilities of Chaa Creek but in a more rustic setting. The walk to the main grounds is only 10 minutes on a pleasant path above the river, much appreciated after our big meals.
We ate lunch at the restaurant once. The service and food were excellent while prices were comparable to what would be expected eating a nice lunch in the US.
We were treated kindly by all staff. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
We travelled during off season which I highly recommend as any place we visited throughout Belize was quiet and not crowded.
While Macal River Camp may not appeal to everyone, it was a perfect match for our family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our guests say they appreciate Chaa Creek’s eco-friendly blend of pristine nature and a casually luxurious built environment, and enjoy the flexibility and choice we offer in accommodations, amenities, meals, tours and expeditions. Our wide range of accommodations allow guests to select lodgings that range from the rustic charm of the Macal River Camp to the unparalleled luxury of the new Ix Chel Luxury Rainforest Villas, whose stunning views, private Jacuzzis, plunge pools and amenities such as the attention of a personal butler have set new standards for excellence in a pristine natural environment. In addition, our infrastructure and nationwide network of colleagues enable us to offer a range of comprehensive, hassle-free tours and all-inclusive Belize vacation packages that cater to all ages, interests and levels of fitness. For example, our close relationships with premier Belizean reef and island resorts at Ambergris Caye, Placencia and other Caribbean vacation spots allow us ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your The Lodge at Chaa Creek reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Chaa Creek Hotel San Ignacio
- Hotel At Chaa Creek
- At Chaa Creek Hotel
- Chaa Creek
- The Lodge At Chaa Creek Belize/San Ignacio