“Wonderful experience! ”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful experience! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at Bella's a total of 4 nights and absolutely loved it. The layout is great, the rooftop is a perfect place to hang out with fellow travelers and the people who work there are amazing. It fosters a great, chill, close knit community with fellow travelers. It's in a great location as well. We had a private room and it was lovely, and quickly felt like home. Could not recommend it enough!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beccamarjo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I wish I liked thus place but it was just bad. The pros - good wifi, big fridge, nice hang out spot on roof, kitchen with oven and utensils. Now the bad - there were BED BUGS! This made for a horrible 3 nights, the mattresses were horrible and the beds were mouldy or had termites. I wanted to take time in San Ignacio to chill out but there are lots of friends of the owner that come and hang out all day and you often have to wait hours to use the kitchen. These friends, although good hearted are not everyone's cup of tea and would never let you be in the communal areas. You had to either leave or talk to them. The family of the owner live at the end of the hostel so they always have to walk through the big form to go home, which did wake me once or twice, also they're quite loud in the mornings even when its 6am. There were only 4 lockers for approximately 10 people. The place wasn't clean, theory did mop up daily and cleaned the vathroom , but generally it felt quite dirty. There was ants everywhere in the kitchen so if you leave out food for 5 minutes its covered. I wouldn't stay here again because this hostel just doesn't deliver.

Room Tip: The big dorm room had wifi but was loud as the kitchen is just next to it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Den367
Natasha889, Owner at Bella's Backpackers, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
wow... I am really sorry you didn't tell us you were unhappy while you were here. I personally would not have stayed if I was being bitten by bed bugs for three days. I am friendly with my guest and people you saw where guest like yourself who have become friend too. I have lived in Belize for fifteen years and have both foreign and belizeans who come stay at Bella's. please next time you are unsatisfied give the proprietress a chance to make it right. we do have a new cleaning staff since this date and we are working out the kinks with passing thru the dorm and are now going around on the street.
Bogotá
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Formerly probably a nice Hostel but nowadays totally not recommendable! I am quite sure that the Hostel wasn't checked again for years and just left in LP.

Pro: good dinner from an Indian cook (but at average restaurant prices). Nice bathrooms.

Cons: super dirty with bad bugs that chased us off. Annoying guy (self declared Hostel manager) always hanging out in the common area giving people a speech about racism. All the Hostel loaded with garbage (like an old toilet or a rotten away Couch in the backyard). The few places to hang out were often occupied by the staff and their friends, what left us only the choice to go to our bedroom.
Worst part: we were kind of dragged into the fight of the former Hostel staff and the owner who both blamed the other party of different things.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MirEgal
I am truly sorry that you didn't enjoy Bella's. I am a little puzzled by the toilet and rotting couch you claim we have in the back yard. we have no toilet in the back yard ever and the couch is homemade of bamboo but isn't rotting? as a hostel owner you do your best when hiring people but it isn't always successful. unfortunately, you had to hear about the problems but I can assure you we are not discussing them or trying to involve you in our management problems. as owner of Bella's I can tell you that I take care of the bug issue personally when I find out and would taken care of this with you at the time if you had let us know. we have a new cleaning staff and I am trying to improve upon our services daily.
Taoyuan, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hostel has great private and dorm style beds and is really affordable. I stayed here and really enjoyed hanging out upstairs in the communal area playing board games and chatting with fellow travelers. Excellent spot to stay for a few days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MartinHendrikx
thanks so much for the review, I really appreciate when people take the time to put up their positive experiences.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We rented out the whole cabin up the stairs for a group of five of us, but we could have fitted two more to make the price even better. We paid $10 US each for our own huge cabin that included a loft with two beds, two beds in main room, and private bedroom with a queen. There's roof access with a great view, a communal kitchen (and they make GREAT dinners and breakfasts you can pay to enjoy) and the staff is really really great! The woman who owns it helped us figure out renting a canoe and having an adventure up the river, and the little girl, Bella, who runs around the place is delightful. It's in a great location by lots of great restaurants. We are recommending this place very highly.

Room Tip: Up the stairs past the kitchen is a fantastic guest house with roof access.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Natasha889, Owner at Bella's Backpackers, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thanks for the great review, we are working hard to keep you returning any time your close.
Natasha
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hostel was a suggestion from a previous stay over at a hostel in Belize City. After discussing the venue with it's owner Bella- she said that they had just been built and established six or so years ago. The building and amenities represented this, as everything was very well kept and there was a large kitchen and dorms. In addition, the upstairs patio areas were great for just hanging out with your fellow travelers or just having a few Belikin Stouts. Definitely recommend this as a base of operations for visiting the Mayan sites in Cayo.

Room Tip: The quality of these amenities seemed to be similar, however I would ask for the upstairs dorm as th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Glad to get you review, thanks for the encouragement.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed there one night. The price is very reasonable (20 Belize Dollars/10 US dollars for a dorm bed), from what I've seen around San Ignacio, it seems to be the cheapest option. The rooms are very clean, the sheets are clean and the beds are comfy. I stayed in a room with 9 bunk beds, but the room is so big (it's actually divided in two sections) and there's so much space, it doesn't feel cramped at all. There's no hot water, but it seems to be the case in every hostel/cheap guesthouse in Belize so I guess this is standard. The staff is very helpful and nice. What I liked most about the hostel is that it's about 5 mins walk from the main street with all the touristy restaurants/tour operators/bars etc. (this street is very loud with music and noises), so you can actually sleep well without hearing the music at Bella's Backpackers, whereas, most other hotels, which are located on the main street, would be less convenient because you would hear the music and noise all evening.

I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Natasha889, Owner at Bella's Backpackers, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you so much for the lovely review! We hope to see you again at Bella's Backpacker's, San Ignacio, Cayo District, or our sister property at Caye Caulker. We now now have laundry facilities for the guest and a new extended dorm going to a new garden chill out spot. in addition to the rooftop verandah chill out area where we have BBQ and star watching, you can enjoy your days at our jungle farm, with a canoe ride from downtown San Ignacio to the jungle, watching iguanas, flocks of parrots, and smelling the exotic tropical scent of the Macal River. Enjoy our private or dorms style family run accommodation. Ask for Tweety when you arrive and she can set you up with a clean, safe, a centrally located room in San Ignacio, Cayo District, Belize, Central America. You Betta Belize It!