“Great service, family owned”
Review of Rumors Resort

Rumors Resort
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in San Ignacio
New York, New York, United States
“Great service, family owned”
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I rented a room at this hotel for my boyfriend and I when we were in San Ignacio. The property itself is about a 5-8 minute drive from the city, which is perfect if you are looking for a more intimate setting or privacy.

The woman at the front desk was extremely helpful in providing us with restaurant suggestions, tour recommendations and general advice. She helped with re-scheduling our tour when weather caused some cancelations as well.

The room was basic: AC, refrigerator, closet and desk, and the bed was slightly too firm for my taste. My only grievance was that the water pressure in the shower was terrible. It made taking a shower a longer process than usual.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Summerfield, Florida
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Beautiful establishment! Nice and clean with everything you need. Our room appeared to be recently renovated. Beautiful tiles throughout and nice decor. We had a blow dryer, mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker in the room. Plus air conditioning and a king size comfy bed, and a balcony. Will definitely stay here again. I was very impressed and surprised at the beautiful setting. Friendly staff as well

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed 4 nights.First of all all e mails were answered promptly which is unusual for Belize.we were picked up from the airport on time by Fransisco himself.The girls greeted us with the best orange punch ever.The Premium rooms were worth the extra few $. every one got their own bed,very comfy bedding..Room decor was really nice,we even had our own balcony over looking the great view.Good quality towels and toilet supplies.good hot water showers.Having a mini fridge,micro ,coffee maker and safe was a plus.They will even do your laundry for 5 USD. Riding a taxi to town for 5 USD was convenient.Good food for a reasonable price. Rosie,and Roxanne went above and beyond to make us feel welcome.The only negatives I can think of are the limited restaurant hours and menu, of course being a family owned operation.Also hoping for a larger TV next time we return.

Room Tip: premium room would be better
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay at Rumors Resort Hotel.

Positives:
- Our host, Rosy, was super responsive and very helpful. She even helped us organize transportation in Belize after we had left the hotel. Great service and recommendations.
- Room was spacious and tidy
- Shower and bathroom were great
- Organized tours and transit through front desk which was really convenient

Small negatives:
- The location is pretty far outside of town so you cannot walk anywhere. We knew this ahead of time, but didn't comprehend the distance until there.
- The food at the restaurant was less than ideal. If you go, order Belizian dishes (not American) as they were significantly better. Wait times for food were also pretty long, so plan accordingly.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our family of four recently stayed at Rumors Hotel (not really a resort) while visiting for four days in San Ignacio. The purpose of our trip was to visit the Mayan ruins nearby---the "jungle adventure" portion of our 10-day visit to Belize.
Francisco and the staff were great to work with from the very first email, to our pick-up at the Belize airport and to drop-off at San Ignacio airport.
The property is squeaky-clean and pleasant, although not a fancy "eco-resort." We appreciated how close it was to town since we had several excellent meals in town (see separate review of Ha-nah's) and to the excursions we had planned (Caracol, Tikal, ATM, Zip-lining).
There is no central "lobby" or lounge so the rainy days during our visit made staying in our hotel rooms rather cramped. That's the one suggestion I would make to the owners ---- make room in the large party/reception room for some sofas and tables.
Taxi to town was $5 USD for four, each way, which was not bad.
This property is a choice for visiting groups. While we were there a group of college students were doing community health outreach for the local town folks. We enjoyed interacting with them and getting their daily updates. That was a nice plus.

Room Tip: The deluxe room is preferred over standard, just for the size.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Francisco and Rosie were very accommodating and genuine. Francisco was very prompted in responding via email, and this is very important to start to build the rapport and trust before getting to a foreign country.

I booked one single room standard with one double bed, it only cost $50 US per night which was less than all the other comparable type hotels in San Ignacio. My room had a ceiling fan, A/C, TV, mini fridge, and free WiFi, it met my expectations for the cost of the room. The room was clean, nothing special about it, looked like an old attic storage area made into a guest room as I was told that Rumors was once a dance club. The room worked for what I needed, as I don't spend much time in a hotel room while I vacation. This was the only hotel where I forgot to take a picture of the room, probably due to the hustle and bustle of getting here from the two flights and shuttle from the airport which made for a long day of travel.

The only things I didn't like, was the extremely low water pressure for the shower, more water comes out of my kitchen sink vegetable sprayer. The other thing was an event going on, and the pounding of the base from the music in the main hall was a bit much. However I was reassured that the noise would subside by 11PM, which it did.

Here is a tip, as for full or partial A/C, just remember what season you will be in San Ignacio, as I stayed in late November at Rumors and for the time of year I didn’t “need” the A/C as the ceiling fan was enough for me during the night as during the day I was doing tours and activities.

Rumors is closer to the Guatemala border, Xunantunich and Maya Flats Airstrip than most of the other San Igancio hotels, and within reasonable distance to Cahal Pech and the Iguana Conservation Project.

It was less than $5 US cab fare to San Ignacio town. Here is a tip, always ask the driver from town back to Rumors how much, as some drivers quoted me $15 BZ and as high as $10 US, however it is easy to find a driver who will take you for $10 BZ.

I hope this review helps you out, like the previous reviews before me helped me out.

Room Tip: Read my full post for many tips.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed here for two nights prior to flying home from Belize City. Was the best budget-range hotel we stayed at on our trip through Belize and Guatemala. Got upgraded to a premium room at no extra charge. Rooms were very clean, new and well decorated. Had the best washroom on our trip as well. Beds were super comfortable. Management was amicable and helpful.

There was nice outdoor seating around the perimeter of the hotel. The food (breakfast and dinner, no lunch available) at the onsite restaurant was good, if a little salty. It's called a budget resort, but it's more so a hotel as there aren't really activities that you can engage in on site (but we were there during low season. I assume the bar and dance floor are put to use during other times of the year). If they installed a pool onsite, guests would be set. They also arranged airport transportation for us that was cheaper than then quotes we got from agencies in town.

Rumors is located about 5-10 minutes from town via car. We tried walking it but I wouldn't recommend as there is not much shoulder to that highway and cars zip by at high speeds, so it wasn't the pleasant country stroll we wanted. Cab rides were $10BZ one way but some drivers in town try to charge $15BZ. If you don't mind being out of town (or want to be out of town but close) Rumors is a great mid-range option.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple