“Rosy is the best!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
San Francisco, California
“Rosy is the best!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay at Rumors Resort Hotel.

Positives:
- Our host, Rosy, was super responsive and very helpful. She even helped us organize transportation in Belize after we had left the hotel. Great service and recommendations.
- Room was spacious and tidy
- Shower and bathroom were great
- Organized tours and transit through front desk which was really convenient

Small negatives:
- The location is pretty far outside of town so you cannot walk anywhere. We knew this ahead of time, but didn't comprehend the distance until there.
- The food at the restaurant was less than ideal. If you go, order Belizian dishes (not American) as they were significantly better. Wait times for food were also pretty long, so plan accordingly.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our family of four recently stayed at Rumors Hotel (not really a resort) while visiting for four days in San Ignacio. The purpose of our trip was to visit the Mayan ruins nearby---the "jungle adventure" portion of our 10-day visit to Belize.
Francisco and the staff were great to work with from the very first email, to our pick-up at the Belize airport and to drop-off at San Ignacio airport.
The property is squeaky-clean and pleasant, although not a fancy "eco-resort." We appreciated how close it was to town since we had several excellent meals in town (see separate review of Ha-nah's) and to the excursions we had planned (Caracol, Tikal, ATM, Zip-lining).
There is no central "lobby" or lounge so the rainy days during our visit made staying in our hotel rooms rather cramped. That's the one suggestion I would make to the owners ---- make room in the large party/reception room for some sofas and tables.
Taxi to town was $5 USD for four, each way, which was not bad.
This property is a choice for visiting groups. While we were there a group of college students were doing community health outreach for the local town folks. We enjoyed interacting with them and getting their daily updates. That was a nice plus.

Room Tip: The deluxe room is preferred over standard, just for the size.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Francisco and Rosie were very accommodating and genuine. Francisco was very prompted in responding via email, and this is very important to start to build the rapport and trust before getting to a foreign country.

I booked one single room standard with one double bed, it only cost $50 US per night which was less than all the other comparable type hotels in San Ignacio. My room had a ceiling fan, A/C, TV, mini fridge, and free WiFi, it met my expectations for the cost of the room. The room was clean, nothing special about it, looked like an old attic storage area made into a guest room as I was told that Rumors was once a dance club. The room worked for what I needed, as I don't spend much time in a hotel room while I vacation. This was the only hotel where I forgot to take a picture of the room, probably due to the hustle and bustle of getting here from the two flights and shuttle from the airport which made for a long day of travel.

The only things I didn't like, was the extremely low water pressure for the shower, more water comes out of my kitchen sink vegetable sprayer. The other thing was an event going on, and the pounding of the base from the music in the main hall was a bit much. However I was reassured that the noise would subside by 11PM, which it did.

Here is a tip, as for full or partial A/C, just remember what season you will be in San Ignacio, as I stayed in late November at Rumors and for the time of year I didn’t “need” the A/C as the ceiling fan was enough for me during the night as during the day I was doing tours and activities.

Rumors is closer to the Guatemala border, Xunantunich and Maya Flats Airstrip than most of the other San Igancio hotels, and within reasonable distance to Cahal Pech and the Iguana Conservation Project.

It was less than $5 US cab fare to San Ignacio town. Here is a tip, always ask the driver from town back to Rumors how much, as some drivers quoted me $15 BZ and as high as $10 US, however it is easy to find a driver who will take you for $10 BZ.

I hope this review helps you out, like the previous reviews before me helped me out.

Room Tip: Read my full post for many tips.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed here for two nights prior to flying home from Belize City. Was the best budget-range hotel we stayed at on our trip through Belize and Guatemala. Got upgraded to a premium room at no extra charge. Rooms were very clean, new and well decorated. Had the best washroom on our trip as well. Beds were super comfortable. Management was amicable and helpful.

There was nice outdoor seating around the perimeter of the hotel. The food (breakfast and dinner, no lunch available) at the onsite restaurant was good, if a little salty. It's called a budget resort, but it's more so a hotel as there aren't really activities that you can engage in on site (but we were there during low season. I assume the bar and dance floor are put to use during other times of the year). If they installed a pool onsite, guests would be set. They also arranged airport transportation for us that was cheaper than then quotes we got from agencies in town.

Rumors is located about 5-10 minutes from town via car. We tried walking it but I wouldn't recommend as there is not much shoulder to that highway and cars zip by at high speeds, so it wasn't the pleasant country stroll we wanted. Cab rides were $10BZ one way but some drivers in town try to charge $15BZ. If you don't mind being out of town (or want to be out of town but close) Rumors is a great mid-range option.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed at Rumors in early December 2013. What stuck us first about our experience was how knowledgeable, open, and gracious Francisco was, the family member in this family-owned guest house who runs the business. Francisco personally picked us up from our guest house in Belize City and drove us to Rumors, in San Ignacio (about a 2 hour trip). Although of course we paid for this transport service, we really enjoyed the experience. Francisco made the ride informative, engaging and personally meaningful.

When we arrived at the hotel, we met Rosy, a staff member, who was also friendly, well-informed, and responsive during our stay. For example, Rosy arranged taxis to take us to Mayan sites and then, after our check-out, back to Belize, for a stop at the extraordinary Belize City Zoo, and on to the airport. We also were delighted that the taxi drivers were warm, knowledgeable, and completely trustworthy.

The hotel itself is like a small but vibrant retreat center. It is up on a hill, and the view toward Guatemala is lovely, lush and peaceful. The colors of the hotel's exterior walls are warm and vivid, without being loud. Our room, which included a balcony, was spacious and clean, and the AC, Internet and TV worked well. The price was very reasonable.

We also ate a couple of breakfasts and one dinner in the hotel's restaurant. Our server, like everybody else, was friendly, and the food was good.

San Ignacio is a welcoming village (we especially liked the Farmers' Market and the Ko-Ox Hannah restaurant), and the Mayan sites surrounding it are very much worth seeing. Staying at Rumors helped us to fully appreciate our time in San Ignacio. We highly recommend it.

Glen F.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

gulf shores
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed here three nights in December 2013. The place is nice. The room we had had three beds in it. We only needed one but it was great to have space to put our luggae. We had a refrigerator, coffee pot, good AC, good shower, good tv, good internet, and good lighting. The place is extremely clean. The beds were very comfortable. All the folks here are friendly. The price is right. I would most definitely stay here again.

1 Thank nohassle1956
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Disclaimer: I am not paid by owners or any employees of Rumors Hotel for my post.

Please don't hesitate. Just book this hotel.

Pros:
1. Great communication via email. Francisco and Rosie replies to all emails in a timely fashion. Rosie is doing most of the communicating and booking of rooms now. Both were extremely pleasant to speak with and very nice in person. Very professional and will help in whichever way possible.

2. Rumors hotel is clean, has functioning bathroom, safe in the room, television, microwave, refrigerator, and air conditioner that works. Floors were clean, bed sheets were clean, and working alarm clock.

3. Easy access into town. 5 BZE per person to travel to town which is a 5min ride by taxi. It is not noisy and you actually get some piece and quiet. Every cab driver knows where the hotel is.

4. Location is key. It is about a 10-15min drive to the Guatemala border. It is 5-10min drive to Xunantunich, 5min drive to Cahal Pech, 1hr drive from San Ignacio via tour guide to ATM caves.

5. Food was excellent. I ate breakfast there only and the food was delicious. It is moderately priced, very affordable as food in NYC are very pricey. I do recommend.

6. Hotel help calls cab, help with scheduling tour. Francisco is hoping to get his own tour business up pretty soon. I am certain it would be fantastic.

7. Offers $100 USD for 2-4 people transportation from Belize International to their hotel each way (if money is not an issue, its a reasonable deal. I am sure you can always find things cheaper, but then you will never stop looking). You can always get on a bus or rent a car.

8. Bed was comfortable. The mattress did not feel cheap. The mattress did not feel overused and abused. The springs were still very sturdy. There were no stains seen, no food, no bugs on the bed. The sheets were white.

9. Family owned, which means they want their guest to feel comfortable and come back. They take pride in their work and want to see guest satisfaction. The employees were mostly if not all family members. Everyone was very pleasant and polite. Almost all if I remembered spoke English.

Cons:
1. None

Overall, I had a very good experience. Initially I had difficulties in deciding where to stay when I was looking for hotels. San Ignancio is a good destination if you plan to visit Belize. DO NOT STAY IN BELIZE CITY. San Ignancio and Rumors Hotel offers you a prime location for destinations in Cayo district. I had some reservations at first due to the low numbers of reviews, however after speaking with Francisco, they just started this hotel business not too long ago. If they keep up, I am 100% certain it would be very difficult to schedule a stay at their place. If you are visiting Cayo district and planning on visiting some of those sites I've mentioned, including Jagur Paw for Cave tubing and ziplining, I would definitely stay at Rumors Hotel.

If I could have done it all over again or visit Belize next time, I am definitely staying there again.

Thank you Francisco and Rosie for such a pleasant trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Ignacio
#8 of 14 in San Ignacio
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Rumors Resort? Share your experiences!