“Clean, comfortable, and convenient to town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rumors Resort

Rumors Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in San Ignacio
boston
“Clean, comfortable, and convenient to town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I agree with what has been said. The hotel is a great value. We were 3 and found the room to be lovely and very clean, with tiled bathroom and spacious shower. Francisco offered to put out a 3rd bed in the room so we could all sleep comfortably and it was set up when we arrived. It was great to have air-conditioning after a hot day of touring and lie back and watch something on the big screen TV. Francisco and Rosie were very caring and accommodating, calling for taxis for us and checking in about our day. We loved being just a $5 cab ride from town which made the decision to go in for dinner very easy when we wanted to. We also liked the breakfasts sitting out on the patio in the front of the hotel watching the Belizean life go by. Francisco arranged our tours and was extremely prompt in E-mail correspondance before we came.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a porch and enjoyed listening to and watching the birds in the morning and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Punta Gorda, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have spent 2 nights at Rumors and were well taken care of by very attentive staff. We were upgraded from a premium single to a premium double in the new section of the hotel. It was beautifully decorated and very clean. It had a coffeemaker and refrigerator and they even provided the coffee for the pot. The view is beautiful from high on the hill. They arranged a tour to Tikal for us and since it left at 7:30 and their restaurant didn't open til 7,so they said they would have our breakfast prepared by 7 so we could eat before we left. We had the Belizean breakfast and it was very good. We also ate one dinner in the restaurant and was very pleased with it. It is a quiet place not far out of town. Will definitely stay here again and highly recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Greer, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

On my last trip to Belize in August 2012, we went straight to San Ignacio. After spending the first week in three different hotels, a local recommended Rumors. Since I was traveling with my daughter and a friend who was confined to a wheelchair, we drove out to see the hotel. As soon as I met Frankie and Rosie, I knew we found the right place. When we returned the next morning to check in, we found the fence had been opened to to accommodate the wheel chair and a ramp built in front of the room door. Rosie cooked most of our meals for us and each one was more delicious than the last. We even enjoyed our meals on the patio outside our rooms. From there you can see mountains in both directions and surf the internet on their free WI-FI while the breeze keeps you comfortable. Rumors tops the long list of why I love San Ignacio. Thank you folks for being there. On my next trip, I'll call ahead and make reservations and plan my trip according to Rumors' availability. Rumors is now my favorite place to start out each morning and wind down each night in Belize! It is the best value in San Ignacio with all the modern creature comforts and excellent ambiance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at Rumors hotel with my father in late January. I made reservations directly through the hotel instead of the other websites. Francisco was very prompt with his replies to my e-mails, offered great rates and made reliable room recommendations. Upon our arrival at the hotel, Francisco checked us into one of their new rooms. The room was CLEAN, spacious and very comfortable (the only downside was that we found a bunch of ants by the nightstand. We had to spray the area with bug spray. After that, we had no more issues.) Once we got settled in, we spent the next two days checking out the Mayan ruins. Rumors hotel is conveniently located close to both the Xunantunich and Cahal Pech sites, and not too far from the access road that takes you to Caracol (approx. 2.5hrs each way from the access road, but WELL WORTH IT). The hotel is also very close to San Ignacio (approx. 5-8min drive), so you're away from all the busy areas but still close enough to pop into town for supper or shopping. The hotel grounds are very nice, well maintained and clean. I really enjoyed and was completely satisfied with my stay at Rumors hotel. It was well worth the price and I would recommend it to any budget-conscious travellers.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the new rooms (or the newly renovated rooms).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Rumours Hotel is a fantastic, friendly and quiet place to stay just outside San Ignacio - a great place to crash out and relax after your Sightseeing/tubing/caving/hiking/jungle bashing tour in the surrounding area!

If you're arriving in San Ignacio by local bus - DON'T get off at in the town centre - Rumours is about 2 miles out of town and brilliantly all the buses heading to Benque pass by the main gate of the hotel. Just tell the driver/ticket collector to give you a shout when you get there. Taxis can take you there from the town centre (10BZD by day, 15BZD after dark) or of course the local bus runs about every half hour for 1.50BZD (it's one bus route from Belize city to San Ignacio and through to Benque at the border)

The Hotel is run by Frankie and Rosie who take care of everything you need! They can book tours for you (seemed to be through Mayawalk tours which are one of the biggest and best in town), call for taxis, recommend restaurants and give you tips for things to do in the area.

During my stay there the hotel was very quiet with only a few rooms being used - it gets busier at weekends with locals having a weekend off and coming for a bit or R&R from Belize City and elsewhere. This suited me with peace and quiet at night and waking up to Birdsong from the Jungle in the morning!

The hotel restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner and all the dishes on the menu are hand cooked by rosie to her own recipes - which are all very, very tasty!

The room and en-suite were both very clean and modern and the room had a small kitchen area with a fridge and mini worktop. There was also a mini coffee percolator - but only instant coffee provided and tea bags provided, which I suppose could work?!

All in all I had a great time here - I had tours booked during the day and by the time I got back to town after a full day out and about I was ready for a hot shower, dinner and beers and a good sleep!

Thanks Frankie and Rosie - you are fantastic!

Room Tip: They're all good - but some have a small patio looking out over the jungle in the distance
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Dave_Maison
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

This place is a hidden gem! I stumbled upon Rumors through a link on one of the tour operator websites in town. I knew I found the right place when the hotel manager, Frankie, replied to my initial email inquiry so quickly, answered all my questions, and added so much additional helpful information and tips about San Ignacio and the area in his reply.

My biggest concern was that I was traveling alone, and because of that it was hard to book tours for just one person and I wanted to make sure that I was able to do all the Mayan tours I had my heart set on during my stay. Frankie completely put my mind at ease by offering to take care of all the tour booking on my behalf. That saved me a lot of trouble! And he did a fantastic job! Not only did he book all my tours, but he also made sure that each tour operator was top notch. I ended up getting such amazing tours and service, which I doubt I would have had I tried booked everything on my own. He listened to my requests carefully and arranged everything from taxi pickups, to a horseback ride to Xunantunich (amazing) including packing me a lunch to go, arranging a trip to Caracol, a trip to Tikal, and the ATM Cave Tour. Every single tour was incredible! Frankie also offered me rides into town whenever possible, pointed out his favorite eateries, and gave me a lot of background info on the town (since he grew up in the area), adding so many personal touches to my trip.

It felt like I was staying with old friends, rather than just staying at a hotel. And that meant a lot to me, since I was traveling alone.

The hotel is very clean and the grounds are beautifully landscaped with gorgeous tall palm trees all around, views to the mountains and jungle, and away from all the noise and traffic of downtown. The food in the restaurant/bar is also excellent. Rosy is a great cook and I enjoyed all the meals and snacks I had, especially breakfast. (get the breakfast Quesadilla) But I also recommend dining at the Running W steakhouse and Hode's Place. I had great meals there as well.

One important thing to note is that this hotel is a family run business, and they take a lot of pride in everything and it really showed. They attended to all my needs and requests immediately, whether it was an extra towel or blanket, or glasses and ice for my room. I was even able to use their laundry facilities, which is a very useful benefit after coming back from an adventure tour! I really felt like a VIP there and got service above and beyond my expectations.

At first I wanted to stay right in downtown San Ignacio, but I'm so glad I found Rumors because I ended up having a much more personalized travel experience. In addition, after a long day of hiking in the jungle and climbing Mayan pyramids, it was so nice to come back to a quiet little oasis and just relax on my balcony overlooking the lush green landscape or enjoying a drink at the on site bar and sharing my tour adventure stories with Frankie, Rosy, and other guests at the hotel. And it was only a 5 minute ride into town, so being a little out of town was never an issue, if anything it was an advantage.

They have free WiFi which was very useful, and they have future plans for a pool and possibly even a jacuzzi and an outdoor bar next year, so keep checking up on this place, because it's just gonna keep getting better! I intend to go back and see more of the area sometime soon and will most definitely be staying there. This place is an unbelievable value for the price! I highly recommend it! If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to message me. I'm happy to share more info on my experience!

Room Tip: They are in the process of renovating all the rooms, but for now I suggest you ask for a renovated r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank xtos
SD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Rumors and it was the best place we stayed at our whole vacation. It is in a great location not far from town. We rented a car so it would take us about 3 minutes to get into town. The rooms were very clean and had everything you need. I usually don't care for a tv on vacation but at times it was raining so hard we had to camp up inside for a bit and wait for the rain to pass. My boyfriend didn't seem to mind with the timing because since they have direct tv he was able to watch his football playoff games he thought he was going to miss. Fransico was great at responding to all my email inquiries before we got there and Rosie was so friendly and gracious! Dispite all the rain we had while we were there, I loved it all. I can't wait to go back and stay at Rumors again. I highly recommend!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
#8 of 14 in San Ignacio
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
San Ignacio Resort Hotel
#5 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Rumors Resort? Share your experiences!