“The best tour guide in all Central America”

Kin Winik Jungle Tours
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We met John accidently just walking around in San Ignacio and after a few minutes talk we knew he is the right person for a tour around the area. I love herbs and plants and all the natural remedies and his knowledge about all of those is amazing. Next day during our trip he explained all the plants we saw and what is it for. He learned it all from Mayan healers as he is passionate about his Mayan culture what he learned from Mayans directly. He explained all the past history and the present life of Mayan people. He answered all of my questions (and I had a lot) and showed us all the amazing places in the jungle. After travelling in Central America for 3 months I must say he is the best guide we met. We had a fantastic day with John and I highly recommend his tours.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

One of my best days in Belize! We had our tour of the ATM and Barton creek arranged with a different company but they didn’t do the Caracol tour when we were there as they claimed that the road was too bad as it had been raining heavily just a few days before. The other company directed us toward John Chuc and his Kin Winik tour company. John knows his stuff well and he is passionate about it. On the way he made sure that we were after of before the other tours so that we were by ourselves most of the time. He told us about Mayan culture past and present, answered all my questions and allowed us to take as long as we needed in every stop. At the end of the tour I had the feeling that I just spent the day with an old friend! This has never happened to me before and I would definitively remember Caracol and San Ignacio with a smile in my face thanks to them. The only regret I had is that I had already booked my other tours with a different company before I knew about John Chuc and his Kin Winik tour company!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

So if you want to go to Caracol, bypass all the other tour companies and go with John Chuc of Kin Winik. He will give you an extra full hour up at the ruins, and shows you the full site, unlike the others. He takes you on a different route through them, so at every point, you're on your own in that part of the site. The onsite archaeologist came up to me and said, "You have THE best guide possible for this place." John is a Mayan who is connected to his heritage - he helped organize the 2012 celebrations at Caracol that drew together 30 elders from around the Mayan world, he attends archaeological symposia, he knows how to read the hieroglyphs, he knows all about the plant medicines and foods, he knows the oral history/current Mayan understanding of the ruins and what happened there... and he is absolutely passionate about sharing it all.

Additionally, we wished we had gone with Kin Winik for the cave tubing expedition. We went with another major tour company, and they didn't take us through all four chambers or tell us anything about the Mayan history of the place. Kin Winik does this as well as stops at the crystal cave AND takes you back into the cenote at the back of the cave for a swim... all things that the other company didn't do... and they give all this for the same price the others are charging.

1  Thank Toucanlove E
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We ran into John after coming out of Pop's for breakfast. Wasn't expecting much but this turned into a very pleasing experience. John is very knowledgeable of his environment and is proud of his heritage . If you want a great time let him set up your itinerary and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I highly recommended John Chuc and his knowledgeable staff as your first choice for an unforgettable trip into the jungle of Belize for numerous reasons. John offers a very personalized experience into the back country where his ancestors once lived and thrived. He will share his detailed knowledge of anthropology, flora and fauna with joy and competence. For the adventurous minded traveler he offers hiking, floating and caving trips that will lead you deep into the heartland of the mysterious Maya civilization. Your imagination will be stirred as you walk in the footsteps of these highly accomplished jungle travelers for a glimpse of living in harmony with our beautiful planet.