“Adaptable, friendly, and all around amazing experience of cave tubing.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maximum Adventure Tours

Maximum Adventure Tours
Ranked #11 of 31 Tours in San Ignacio
More attraction details
Owner description: Maximum Adventure Tours takes trips to Belize's best and most exciting spots. Caves, Ruins and Rivers we do it all.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Adaptable, friendly, and all around amazing experience of cave tubing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I will give a long description of our cave tubing tour, but since I sympathize with those who want a short summary, it's at the bottom;

We did a bit of research on tour companies and left our hotel (Venus). We went to the tour company right next door and talked to Buzz and Jonny (Johnny?). We asked for their sales pitch and they threw a pretty solid one offering additional fun exploring part of the cave. We paid $75 US per person since it was just my wife and myself. We left at about 9 am the next morning to head out to the caves. After traveling for about an hour, we reached a disappointing sight. The cave tubing was a very, very touristy attraction. Not to be discouraged, we went along. Jonny picked several plants out of the jungle for us to taste which definitely added an element of adventure to what the herd of cruise ship tourists were getting. We got to the entrance and began the mind blowing cave tubing experience. The vastness of the entrance is incredible and the water was beautiful. Once we were under way, I understood why we paid a little extra. The cruise ship tours flew past us in the river as we explored the walls and ceiling of the cave. This is where it gets good. All other tours were floating along, but Jonny stopped ours. He could tell we were a bit disappointed with such a touristy experience since we tend to be much more adventurous than others. So what's a guide to do? Take us spelunking instead! We climbed up stalagmites, through rock formations, and under vast pillars. We made a very long circle around the cave and returned to a tall platform rock hanging over the river. He pointed at the water and said, "Let's jump!" So of course, now we got to add cliff jumping into our experience too. At this point, there are no other tourists on the river so we deemed it safe to resume our adventure.

In short; Our tour was exceptional only because we went with Jonny and Maximum Adventures. Jonny added a minimum of an extra hour to our tour, as well as adapting to our personalities to keep us pleased and enthralled. As he said, we were not tourists, we were his guests.

Thanks for an unforgettable adventure, Jonny!
-Adam and Crystal

Visited July 2013
1 Thank ObiWonKaTobey

Zurich, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Absolutely Amazing Tour!!! Definitely recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We did the Caracol Tour with our tour guide, John. We went to the office the day beforehand and found out what we need to bring, which was good. The ride to Caracol was relatively long, but still enjoyable. The tour of Caracol was amazing! John is a very experienced guide and could tell us so much about the Mayans and the rain forest. He is studying to be an archaelogist, and so could not only tell us of official explanations, but offered his own opinions to the Maya culture, which was great to learn about! Friendly, funny guy. Lunch is included in the price, including water and a soda (cold and refreshing!), fresh fruit (pineapple, watermelon), banana chips and two burritos. Plenty of food! John was very relaxed and we took our time at the site, taking plenty of pictures, climbing the structures. Then visiting the Rio Frio Cave, Rio on Pools, and Big Falls Waterfall. All three were great! If short on time, Rio on Pools was great for a dip in the water! We were expected to return between 5 and 6 pm, but we got back around 8pm. Would definitely recommend this company and this tour!

1 Thank Lui1711
Henderson, Nevada, United States
“Max is awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Max and his staff are awesome. Unlike many other tour companies we found in San Ignacio, Max limits the number of people on his tours. We traveled to Tikal from San Ignacio with our guide Douglas, and the border transfer both to an from Tikal was flawless. Our tour in Tikal was hosted by the local Guatamalan guide "Mr Ruiz" who should change his name to "Mr. Encyclopedia". I felt like a undergraduate in college learning about the Tikal Ruins from Mr. Ruiz :-) We also did the Barton Creek Cave canoe tour with Max, which was also flawless as well. Great Job to Max and his staff!

Charleston, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My agent booked us 2 transfers and 2 tours through Maxim.The Guides are knowledgeable, enthusiastic, accommodating and just down right fun.
Douglas and John are both outstanding! They took excellent care of my daughter and I every step of the way. (Douglas literally held our hands at Tikal when traversing rough spots so we wouldn't fall.) He even carried our bags after taking us on a short shopping detour! He proves that chivalry still exists.
John took us cave tubing and zip lining and was amazing. He also drove us to and from Belize City. He is dedicated, passionate and extremely intelligent.
We were never left alone for a second at anytime. We couldn't have been better cared for.
I'm definitely coming back. I fell in love with Belize and it's all Due to these guys.

Mesa
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I used Maximum adventure tours for 3 tours during our stay in San Ignacio. We did the ATM tour, Caracol & Mt. Pine Ridge, and Cave Tubing & Zip Lining. I e-mailed back and forth with Brad several times before booking; he was always quick to respond, and provided great tips. He even answered my general Belize travel questions unrelated to the tours and offered great advice. All the tours and tour guides were fantastic and went off without a hitch. We only met max the mornings before our tours, but he’s a pretty funny guy. On all the tours we were very well fed...most other tour groups had a little sandwich box, we always had 2 yummy burritos, fruit, water, chips and/or nuts.

The ATM tour is absolutely amazing and a define must do. We had Louis as our guide and he was fantastic. We only had 3 people in our group, all pretty fit, so we were able to go more places in the cave than we saw other larger group go. We also spent much more time in the cave; we were one of the first groups in and one of the last out. At one point Louis had us turn off our head lamps so it was pitch black, hold on to one another, and walk through the watery cave in the dark… this was soooo cool and showed how well he knew the cave as he navigated us around boulders under the water. Louis really took his time and I could tell he is really passionate about his work. I only wish they allowed cameras inside the cave, but due to tourists breaking everything, I understand why they don’t allow this.

The Caracol and Mt. Pine Ridge tour was great. We had John August as our guide and he was great. There were a total of 5 of us on the tour. We went to the site before the escorts so we could have more of the site to ourselves. This was a great choice on John’s part. He also walks through the site in the opposite order, building from the smaller structures and ending with the largest. I really liked this approach better than going from large to small like the other groups. We hardly even saw other people at the site, and only really in passing. I really wanted to see monkeys so John was sure to find some and point them out…we even got to hear them howl a bunch at a dog that followed us around the site. Mt. Pine Ridge was also really cool. We hiked through Frio Rio Cave, took a short stop to look at Frio Rio Pools, and then hiked down to Big Rock falls for a nice swim through the waterfalls. It was a great way to cool off and end the day.

We also had John as our guide for Cave Tubing and Zip-Lining, and it was only my boyfriend and I on the tour. Once you get to the Zip-Line there are different guides that take you from platform to platform. Zip Lining was awesome, it was my first time, and a great way to see the jungle. We even saw monkeys again. Cave tubing was fantastic! We went through 3 different cave systems and floated through the jungle for a while. John pretty much did all the work, even paddling upstream through one of the caves, we just sat back and relaxed. Since we were really into caving at this point, John even had us stop in the second cave, hop out of the tubes and hike through the cave. We saw tons of Mayan pottery and great views of the river from a high point in the cave. Once again, John also spotted some Monkeys on the drive home for us to see. I would definitely do this tour last on a trip as a way to relax after perhaps more strenuous tours.

I can’t wait to go back to San Ignacio and will definitely use Max again. All of our guides were super passionate about their work, very informed about their topics, and it was great to get to know them and their efforts beyond giving tours. Next time, I really want to do the overnight caving trip, Barton Creek, and perhaps Tikal.

Thanks for the great tours!

Visited May 2013