“Belizean hospitality of the best kind” 5 of 5 stars
Review of J & R Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
J & R Guest House
You added J & R Guest House to your Saves list
Ranked #10 of 29 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
“Belizean hospitality of the best kind”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Arrived in San Ignacio after travelling through Guatemala. Stayed at J and R Guest House...have absolutely loved it. John is a great host whose passion for Belize is only matched by his passion for hospitality. He's given my girlfriend and I all the information we've needed and provided a perfect welcome to this great country. It's a 30 second walk from downtown so no noise with maximum convenience. It is also meticulously clean...my feet stayed white even though I walked around bare foot in the room all the time. Comfy bed, nice complementary breakfast to boot. I can't recommend this place highly enough!

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 5 nights and loved it. The bed was comfortable, there was a fan, cable TV, a continental breakfast, and a clean bathroom that was mostly bug free (a few tiny ants that went almost unnoticed). The owner was extremely helpful and nice. He even talked me into doing the ATM tour which I almost chickened out on, but it was definitely worth doing - thanks John :) He is also very informative of many other tours in the area and if he doesn't know about something he will know where to find the answers for you. The location was pretty good, away from most of the noise. We only had one very noisy night due to the neighbors music. We would definitely recommend this location to others. It was one of our favorites during our stay in Belize. Thanks for the hospitality!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a room with a private bathroom which was very spacious (the only room with a private bathroom...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

John & Rosa were great hosts. They were so knowledgeable and friendly. Our room was very cozy, comfortable, clean and quiet. The location is great and is only a 5 minute walk from all the action of Cayo (San Ignacio) I STRONGLY recommend checking them out if you want a perfect little place that will suit your budget!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here a few nights while visiting San Ignacio. The owner is very cool and knowledgeable about the surrounding area. He gave me lots of good advice on what to see and even cut me a sweet deal on a room as it was the only one left (normally out of my price range)! One morning he even offered me a ride to the ruins outside of town. The room I got had a private bathroom and hot water shower. There were complimentary coffee (instant), tea and buns every morning. It's located within a couple of minutes walk of downtown. I really enjoyed my stay and recommend it highly!

Room Tip: The downstairs room has a lot of privacy and its own bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to San Ignacio for only 2 nights and we decided to stay at J & R guesthouse because of the good reviews we were reading on tripadvisor. We got a room with an in suite bathroom, it was simple and clean with hot water and a fan. The price we paid was very reasonable considering the cleanliness of the place. The complimentary breakfast was simple (buns with butter and Jam plus coffee/tea), but it's enough to get you going in the morning. I'm not sure why some people were so shocked that the breakfast was so simple (I don't think that they advertised it as being a 4-star buffet)

John, the owner was super friendly and helpful. As many other reviewers have mentioned, he goes out of his way to make your stay enjoyable. He drove my bf and I into Santa Elena to grab some lunch, helped set us up with an ATM tour and even offered us a lift to the nearby ruins. He seemed to really love talking with his guests and enjoyed sharing Belize's history with everyone.

Overall, our stay here was fantastic! I would recommend this to anyone who is travelling or backpacking on a budget. The service and accommodations were great for what we paid :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy T
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

For the most part, my stay was great at J&R's. In fact, the owner, John, is a generous man. I saw him act as a chauffeur when he didn't have room for a former guest. He drove her around town until she found a place that was comfortable for her. In my situation, I had lost my ATM card, and he picked up my replacement for me while I was doing a long walk from Spanish Lookout.

However, John crossed the line when he accused me of being an alcoholic because I was out the night before and woke up late for breakfast. I thought he was joking, but when he sat me down for some stern advice, I knew he was serious. I tried to put the situation to rest, but he kept bringing it up as I was hanging out with other people at the hotel. This is the main reason why I'm giving this an average rating instead of four stars.

Other than that, my stay was good. Most of the guests wake up at the same time for breakfast, and there's always an interesting conversation at the table. Breakfast is free, but it is only rolls and instant coffee. Other hotels in town offer a better breakfast, but are a tad bit pricier.

My room was clean, and I had my own bathroom. The shower has an electric heater. Again, you can find hotels with real hot showers, but they are pricier.

Internet costs $2BZE for use. It did work in my room, but sometimes the router is turned off when the owners go to bed at 9 p.m.

Sleep quality was poor. I can handle loud music, but roosters are problematic for me. There's one nearby that starts crowing at 2 a.m. and doesn't stop until evening. I didn't try ear plugs, but I don't think that would work in this situation. You may want to sleep with music.

Bottom line: If you enjoy nightlife or can't sleep because of roosters, find someplace else. If you're willing to put up with it for good conversation and some of the best service I've had, then this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: If you sleep late, you may not want the room that's outside the dining area. I know some of our...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I just checked out from J & R this morning in San Ignacio and now still travelling in Belize for our last 10 days holidays in this country. However, I'm so impatient to share my view here with you.

J&R is a home for travellers. The cleaness of the shared bathroom and toilette is excellent! The room floor and bed sheet are neat and tidy! I'm a detailed person, so I evaluate the level of 'cleaness' with details too. Most hostels can provide the white bed sheets, but rarely maintains the fan clean -- however, J & R is the rare one who takes care of all the little details.

Besides, J & R provides free breakfast, which many other hostels don't have such added value. The breakfast is not as fancy as in the resturant, but bread with butter and/or jam plus coffee are good enough to start your fresh day. We are happy about that. If you find you need an egg, you can buy it in the market (foot distance) and cook it at J & R's kitchen. They have all the equipments to make your own breafast.

I'd like to metion about John here. He might look very serious, but as long as you speak with him when you meet him, you will just find him like a lovely grandpa. He is the one prepare the table in the morning and boil water for making coffee. He spends the time with guests during breakfast time, as he is always ready to give help and info. Every guest likes John!

Worth to mention about Internet/Wifi, as I saw people had comment on that. In belize, the internet is very expensive if you install a kind of satelite one with high speed, or you have a slower cheaper one have limited band. So I wouldn't expect too much for using wifi in Belize, but there's internet coffe just down the road and it's 4 BZ dollar per hour. If you just need to check emails, you pay 1 BZ$ for 12 mins and 2 BZ$ for 30 mins.

Hope the above experience is helpful for you.

Yingzhi