“Mixed experience...unnecessary drama”
Review of Cayo Adventures

Cayo Adventures
Ranked #18 of 36 Tours in San Ignacio
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I did ATM & Tikal with CAT during our recent visit to Cayo. I wanted to be able to give them a great review...but there were just so many hiccups. Our Tikal tour was great...everything went smooth with both our CAT guide, Adrian, and our Guatemalan Tikal guide, Berta (who was fabulous). That tour was just us...and I really liked how CAT keeps the tour groups intimate. On the way back from Tikal though, our van got pulled over at a standard police checkpoint. Turned out the owner of CAT neglected to renew the vehicle insurance...which caused quite the kerfuffle with the police. Apparently it was a mix-up, but the owner of the tour company really needs to be on top of such things so paying customers like us aren't stranded on the side of the road.

After that fiasco, we did the ATM tour the next day (luckily in a different van w/insurance). The hike in was fun. We had Martin who was great - although at times I thought he went too far ahead of the group...leaving us to fend for ourselves in the cave. Adrian from Tikal came along too. That's where it got weird...

After the tour, Adrian told us he could drive us to Belize City the next day (where we had mentioned in passing we were headed). Now, we were confused because we had already booked a shuttle service & certainly never asked Adrian for a ride. "Perhaps he also works for the shuttle company?" we thought. Whatever...no big deal. Well then at 9:30 that night (I was already asleep) our hotel phone rings...it's the owner of CAT angrily asking my husband if we asked Adrian to drive us to Belize City. He was quite rude & hostile on the phone. My husband, bewildered, said no but that perhaps Adrian had something to do with our shuttle service? Then at 6am the next morning, the owner of CAT called us AGAIN! At this point, it was clear that Adrian was hussling & trying to make some $ behind his boss's back while using a company vehicle. His boss was obviously furious with him & trying to get the true story out of us.

To be honest, I couldn't be less interested in CAT's employee drama. Adrian made a stupid mistake...but while he shouldn't have tried to hussle us..the far bigger mistake was the owner of the tour company involving us in all this. He should've left the customers out of it. Very unprofessional for him to have behaved like he did. Perhaps he should spend a little more time running the business and taking care of insurance matters and a little less time harassing his customers.

2  Thank CTtravelgirl

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Rather than blather on, what I will say is that the tour guides on each of the 3 outings that I did with CAT were beyond compare.

Others have already raved about Martin's efforts on the ATM tour, I will just say that I am honored that he chose to share such a personal and sacred part of himself with us. Adrian took me, along with 3 amateur birders, to Caracol and included some bird identification with the tour - enough to make me feel like I got bonus bird watching tour with my Caracol tour. And, I got a private tour of the crystal caves just east of Belmopan with Teddy. When I told him that I am interested in herbs, he changed the focus of our walk to the starting point of the cave tubing to point out the medicinal properties of the plants along the path. All in all, the guides took the pulse of the group and adjusted the outing to suit, for which I was greatly appreciative.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I would highly recommend CAT for your adventures throughout the Cayo region. We arranged all of our transfers and tours through CAT. We first started with a pick up from BZE to cave tubing. The cave tubing trip was okay - it was a bit too long in the caves (about 1 hour of the 2 hour trip).

The next day we arranged a tour to Tikal. The guide (Hugo) was very knowledgeable and very detail oriented. The lunch

The next day we went to ATM. Martin has a wealth of information about plants, wildlife, Mayan history, geology, etc. It definitely made for an interesting and detailed tour. I can confidently say that our group spent the most time in the caves, learning about the Mayan history and traditions. Our trek was about 4 hours long, while other treks seem to be about 3 to 3.5 hours long. I wish that we were given instructions about what we should and should not take to the caves (i.e., don't take your wallet when you start on your trek). We (and another couple) did not know that, so after a little lecture, Martin took our wallets with him in the waterproof bag.

I have two suggestions: (1) We arranged a transfer from our hotel to Maya Flats. The transfer was $20/person. However, when we got to San Ignacio, we realized that it was only 10 minutes away and a taxi would have charged us $15 total. So I would not recommend CAT for a transfer to Maya Flats. Also, they were 20 minutes late from when I had scheduled the pick up. However, little did we know that we only needed to be at the airport 20 minutes prior to departure, so there was no concern about missing our flight. (2) We emailed CAT prior to our arrival to explain our dietary restrictions (no pork or beef) because we knew lunch was provided for a couple of the excursions. However, one of our lunches was a ham sandwich, which of course we couldn't eat. If you have a dietary restriction, I recommend getting an acknowledgement of some type that they got your instructions.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Based on our experience, Cayo Adventure Tours (CAT) provides the best adventure tours in Belize. On day one, Diego picked us up and asked if we were ready for adventure. Our day one consisted of a tour to Chechem Ha cave which was really fun. We enjoyed the 40 minute hike to the cave, the guided exploration of the cave by the owner, William and the delicious lunch that William’s wife provided. The afternoon consisted of exploring the Mayan ruins at Xunantunich. Diego’s knowledge of Mayan history was so comprehensive and really enjoyed day one. However we can’t say enough good things about Diego. He is so passionate about Belize and all it has to offer. His knowledge of birds, wildlife, archaeology and Belizean culture just added to a great experience.

On day two, Diego showed up at our lodge to take us to Caracol and Big Rock Falls. We were so lucky that Diego was assigned to us for a second day. We stopped at Rio Frio Cave on the way to Caracol for a sidebar trip and we just loved it. Caracol and Big Rock Falls were excellent adventures.

On our last Belizean adventure, Louis was our guide as he took us to Jaguar Paw for cave tubing. We had a fantastic time and enjoyed the brisk 45 minute hike through the jungle and the slow relaxing river float down through the caves.

Cayo Adventure Tours provided us with delicious packed lunches on our second and third excursions. The chocolate banana bread was really good. The CAT tour guides go the extra mile to make your adventures fun and exciting. Next time we go to Belize, you can be sure Cayo Adventure Tours will be our choice in adventure companies.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Myself and 3 others recently took the ATM cave tour with Cayo Adventures. It was a truly unbelievable experience, largely due to our guide Martin. He is very in touch with the Mayan history and culture. He gave an interesting tour with a wealth of information (no one gives the tour like he does, I asked to make sure). The tour has some challenging aspects so be ready for a workout. Although my 13 year old son had no problem with it. There is a small amount of swimming but mostly wading through the water. The things you will see and experience are definitely well worth it