“Great location and perfect host”
Review of Hotel Mallorca

Hotel Mallorca
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
Hotel Mallorca
Ranked #22 of 34 San Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I pitched up at this hotel by chance after bus travels from Guate and just needed a base really to explore San Ignacio/Cayo. Started off at the neighbouring hotel but they were fully booked so the owner phoned through to Yolande who luckily had space to accommodate me.
Good value for money ...nice clean rooms with running hot water. Great location for the great choice of eating places along the main street and also for ease of access to the bus stop which is only a couple of minutes' walk for easy access to Xunantunich ruins by local bus and further afield to Belize City or Corozal. The local bus is worth a ride even for just watching the local landscape! Several safe banks also located within a few steps.
There is a main kitchen with fridge that can be used by guests.
Only down side was noise as my room was close to the front of the hotel which faces the main street but this was a negligible issue for me as I'm good at sleeping! Unfortunately, I did have one bad night due to an external generator or possibly neighbouring room's a/c noise which was really loud and continued for most of my second night's stay. On balance this wouldn't put me off staying again though - I will just remember to unpack my ear plugs!
Yolande and her son were fab hosts. The external gate gets locked in the evening which is a great safety aspect but there is a key to access so you don't feel like a pest if you roll home after 9 pm!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 10, 2013

A bit more expensive than some of the hotels in the area, I ended up here when I tried to extend my stay at a nearby hotel which sold out.

Staff are always present and very friendly. Room was a bit sparse and I had the AC option which turned out to be a simple window AC. I had a bit of trouble getting a stable temperature and alternated from too hot and too cold. Bed only had sheets and no blankets. TV had plenty of American channels including major news channels, networks, and kids channels.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed at the hotel Mallorca for three nights. It has a wonderful location close to the market and many restaurants. The fan in the room kept things cool, and there is AC available for an additional cost. The rooms were well kept but small. We did see a couple of cockroaches, but that is to be expected in such tropical climates. We did also see some roach traps so obviously this is being kept in check. Outside that the rooms were very clean and comfortable. Yolande was a gem with lots of helpful information. We would definitely return if we are ever back in San Ignacio.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I found this place last minute due to a popular symposium going on that same weekend. At first I was a little skeptical, but wasn't too bad once settled. There is a gate on the outside, and you have to go up the stairs to access the hotel. Gates lock up after a certain hour (I think 9pm?), just ring the bell.

There's an open living area for socializing and wifi access. There's also a community kitchen if needed. I was in Rm 4, not directly facing the main street but near that direction. The room has a ceiling fan, a small TV, and 2 simple full-size clean beds. Bring your own towels and toiletries.

It's located right in the heart of town, so you can just step outside for tour operators, food and toiletries if needed. And because of this very reason, noise level from the bars nearby can be a bit disturbing for light sleepers. I kept the fan on at night to drown out the noise outside, but it wasn't too bad.

For the price (very very reasonable), the location, the convenience, it is certainly worth keeping in mind.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2013

this little hotel in San ignacio is kinda basic but very clean and comfortable. We spent four nights and used it as a base to explore the region. The hotel is directly in the town center, a very convenient location with good restaurants nearby.
Not suggested for travellers looking for luxury,definitely good for backpackers and more 'basic' travelers.
The quality/prica ration is very high.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We loved this little hotel in San Ignacio, big clean room with 2 comfortable double beds and a big ceiling fan. What really made the place was the verandah overlooking the main street - spent evenings here with a drink and watching the world go by. Kitchen was awesome too, with a full fridge and freezer, toaster oven and microwave. Great staff and hospitality. A highlight of our trip to Belize.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

When we first arrived in San Ignacio, we had booked a room at Rosa's Hotel which turned out to be a super noisy place with sketchy plumbing, a terrible shower and the most uncomfortable bed ever. Then we found Hotel Mallorca and were beyond happy. For $5 US cheaper than Rosa's, we had a much quieter room that was very clean with nice sheets, comfy beds, non threatening plumbing and a/c should you want. To top it off the staff (or family who runs the place I should say) are incredibly friendly and helpful. We were never made to feel like a burden whenever we asked a question and they always were happy to help. The location in San Ignacio as well is perfect, especially since the awesome restaurant Ko Ox Hannah is right across the street! Be sure to stay in this hotel in San Ignacio. It's clean, safe and beyond affordable

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple