“Not what I was expecting and not worth the money.”
Review of Serendib

Serendib
Ranked #13 of 79 Restaurants in San Ignacio
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Right next to the mall and by Polly? Pizza restaurant. I am Indian and not a huge fan of Indian food -- but randomly this was the BEST SOUTH INDIAN food I have ever eaten!!
Boulder, Colorado
“Not what I was expecting and not worth the money.”
Reviewed November 10, 2010

After reading some of the reviews and hearing the recommendation from the owners of our hotel, I had high hopes for Serendib. Unfortunately, I was let down in every aspect of the experience except the happy hour lime & rum drink (although not at all unique to this restaurant). My #1 complaint is the menu. There were very few choices and even fewer Indian or Sri Lankan items. There wasn't any of the items usually found on an Indian menu like masala, tandori, or vindaloo. Instead there were very mundane things like steak and rice and beans. I did order a curry, but it came as a small side with an otherwise completely american dinner. Also, the one authentic sounding appetizer was not available. I think we spent about $60 US for 2 people, and we shared an entree. Overall: too expensive, no authentic food choices, and mediocre service, at best.

1 Thank absolutelygoodgouge

San Ignacio
“I like serendib for a few different...”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I like serendib for a few different reasons, the first being the great service. I have always had terrific service at this place. Secondly, the atmosphere makes you feel at home and not quite like you are in the middle of a bustling town. The food is good and flavorful

1 Thank moondancerbelize
san Ignacio
“Such a let down”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I'd spent years hearing people talk about how amazing Serendib is. Because I'd also spent years hearing people talk about how expensive it was, it took a special occasion to get me there.

We went for a friends going away party and I was absolutely shocked, after years of hearing about how they catered so strongly towards vegetarians, that their menu was so lacking variety of any sort. There was one (one!) vegetarian option (because no, I didn't go to a Sri Lanken restaurant for chinese food) and because my dining companion is also a vegetarian, we both ordered the same thing along with a few appetizers to mix it up a bit. I was horribly underwhelmed by the food. Possibly the greatest instance of regretting my decision to eat somewhere.

I'll give it that the dining area was cute and the beer was cheaper than most places -- but I wouldn't go back. And I would never recommend it to someone else.

Maryland
“Good food”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Serendib was our first dining experience in San Ignacio and it did not disappoint. The portions are large and the food was tasty. I had beef curry and my husband had shrimp curry. Both were quite tasty and had the perfect amount of heat.

The outdoor patio out back is a nice place to relax and the staff was courteous and attentive.

Phoenix
“Absolutely the best Indian food!”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We spotted this restaurant tucked in a corner while wandering around San Ignacio. If you like Indian food at all, you absolutely must not miss it. We started with smoothies... pineapple and mango, each delicious. The food was by far the best Indian food I've ever had at a restaurant, and as a lover of Indian food, I've tried a lot of them. My best friend in college was Indian, and the food at this restaurant is every bit as good as the amazing things his mom used to make. The atmosphere is rustic... plastic tables and chairs on a concrete surface between two buildings, and the wait can be long, but it was so good that we went back the next night and enjoyed it just as much then. George, the owner, was super nice and friendly, and his young sons are adorable. Wish we could bring George and Shirley to Phoenix! Oh, and price? HALF that of the larger, more popular restaurants in town, which are not nearly as good.