“Sri Lankan Food in Belize - Amazing!”
Review of Serendib

Serendib
Ranked #14 of 85 Restaurants in San Ignacio
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Right next to the mall and by Polly? Pizza restaurant. I am Indian and not a huge fan of Indian food -- but randomly this was the BEST SOUTH INDIAN food I have ever eaten!!
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Serendib is located in the heart of San Ignacio Town, right on Burns Avenue, so when my boyfriend and I go, we love sitting out front at one of the tables and watching the hustle and bustle of Belizean life go by (although they have perfectly good indoor seating, as well as a large back patio, which is magical at night when it's all lit up).

My favorite dishes here are any of the curries (fish, chicken, pork, beef, or vegetable), with the yellow rice. And sometimes on Saturday night, they'll have lamb curry, which is so tasty. I also enjoy their Pickled Eggplant and Sambol dishes, which are true ethnic delights.

Cindy and Sam, the new owners, have kept true to the original concept of the restaurant, and just improved on what was already there. As locals, this is one of our favorite spots!

1  Thank WealthShips

Reviewed January 12, 2012

After speaking to the owner Sam who is from the US, we were anxious to try these authentic recipes that the previous restaurant owner left behind. All chicken dishes are leg and thigh only, no breasts to be had.

This is my 54th country that I have vacationed in and I have had curry of all kinds over multitudes of decades. The chicken curry here was majorly disappointing. What arrived was a healthy portion of rice as ordered, but the chicken, a leg and a thigh, sat on the side in a pool of curry sauce. The chicken was chewy, so it was fortunate that there was not a significant amount of meat on the bone.

My partner's dish, also the chicken curry was similar. We were not willing to try the restaurant a second time to see if other items were better choices.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our family of four stopped by Serendib for a late lunch on our last day in Belize. We loved the curry, which tasted different depending on the "meat" it was cooked in - beef, chicken or shrimp, as ordered at our table. We opted for the saffron rice, which was perfect. The curry plate contained potatoes and salad, which both complemented the curry very well. We sat at a table across from the counter, where we enjoyed a lovely cross breeze between the front door and the door to the patio, where you can also eat outside. Our server was very friendly and responsive to our questions. Overall, we felt welcome and comfortable, and the meal contributed to our memorable afternoon in San Ignacio.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Serendib is the place to take that special someone for a lovely birthday or celebration meal... their menu is quite exotic for Belize, the place has a nice atmosphere, and the downstairs outside patio is romantically lit... just pray it doesn't rain, the patio's not covered!

Reviewed December 19, 2011

This small restaurant is owned by a Texan who knows food and drink. My wife loves curry and she found her dream dish. The daughter makes homemade brownies not to be missed...