“Surprising Curry Dish”

Serendib
Ranked #14 of 81 Restaurants in San Ignacio
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Right next to the mall and by Polly? Pizza restaurant. I am Indian and not a huge fan of Indian food -- but randomly this was the BEST SOUTH INDIAN food I have ever eaten!!
Budapest, Hungary
“Surprising Curry Dish”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

After speaking to the owner Sam who is from the US, we were anxious to try these authentic recipes that the previous restaurant owner left behind. All chicken dishes are leg and thigh only, no breasts to be had.

This is my 54th country that I have vacationed in and I have had curry of all kinds over multitudes of decades. The chicken curry here was majorly disappointing. What arrived was a healthy portion of rice as ordered, but the chicken, a leg and a thigh, sat on the side in a pool of curry sauce. The chicken was chewy, so it was fortunate that there was not a significant amount of meat on the bone.

My partner's dish, also the chicken curry was similar. We were not willing to try the restaurant a second time to see if other items were better choices.

• Visited January 2012

Atlanta, GA
“Standout Curry in San Ignacio”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our family of four stopped by Serendib for a late lunch on our last day in Belize. We loved the curry, which tasted different depending on the "meat" it was cooked in - beef, chicken or shrimp, as ordered at our table. We opted for the saffron rice, which was perfect. The curry plate contained potatoes and salad, which both complemented the curry very well. We sat at a table across from the counter, where we enjoyed a lovely cross breeze between the front door and the door to the patio, where you can also eat outside. Our server was very friendly and responsive to our questions. Overall, we felt welcome and comfortable, and the meal contributed to our memorable afternoon in San Ignacio.

• Visited January 2012
San Ignacio, Belize
“Serendib is a Special Treat”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Serendib is the place to take that special someone for a lovely birthday or celebration meal... their menu is quite exotic for Belize, the place has a nice atmosphere, and the downstairs outside patio is romantically lit... just pray it doesn't rain, the patio's not covered!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Curry in San Ignacio”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This small restaurant is owned by a Texan who knows food and drink. My wife loves curry and she found her dream dish. The daughter makes homemade brownies not to be missed...

Visited December 2011
travelling
“nice atmosphere, friendly hosts, tasty food”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I have visited restaurant over the past 10 years, with smaller and larger groups of people and by myself. I read the different comments and get upset about what people write: first of all the menu and the prices are absolutely the same as what they were 10 years ago, even with the new owners. I think it doesn´t state anywhere that a Sri Lankan Restaurant should have a massive variety of curries, and only curries. I have loved the curries at Serendib as well as the Belizean and American choices on the menu. The T bone steak is fantastic. The food tastes very fresh and I can tell the recipes are all ´made from scratch´. The service is like what one can expect in Belize, not too fast, but definitely very friendly. The hosts are wonderful people. I like the fact that they have not changed the interior nor the menu. The garden in the back is a lovely hang out different from any other restaurants in San Ignacio. If you come to expect a curryhouse, go to India or Britain. If you want to have a nice variety of food for a decent price, great strong drinks and friendly service go to Serendib. I can´t wait to go back there, have a curry with one of the side orders, all yumm!!

• Visited November 2011