“fun”

Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in San Ignacio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel, the Project is a continuous effort that aims to conserve and look after the endangered Green Iguana species in Belize. The hatchery uses interactive exhibits and programs to help educate and create awareness among international and local visitors. Here, you are given the opportunity mingle with these wonderful reptiles and also, learn the about the incubation, hatching, rearing, and releasing process
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The kids had a blast! A bit out of my comfort zone with all the Iguanas, but very interesting and well run.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was a low-key but very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. After doing the requisite hard-core Cayo activities (ATM, Tikal, Xunantunich, etc.) we spent a day in San Ignacio visiting the market, Cahal Pech, and finally the Iguana Project. The iguana tour was a really fun experience, and we learned a lot from our enthusiastic guide about the challenges that green iguanas face. Beforehand we ate a delicious lunch on the patio of the restaurant at the San Ignacio Hotel. Yummy food and a very nice view of the gardens and pool.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Someone suggested I go check this out and they said they will throw the iguanas all over you. I was pretty grossed out hearing this. When I first saw the iguanas, I was thinking no way I'm going to have them on me. Then I played with Gomez (he's the resident iguana, approx 16 years) and he was pretty cool. I ended up holding him and having a bunch of little guys all over me. It was something I'd never imagined I would be doing. It was soooo fun and inexpensive. Money goes to a great cause, conservation!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Located in the San Ignacio Hotel, this little one-hour tour was our favorite attraction. You learn a little about the iguana, then get to meet some of the senior iguanas, and last the babies.

This is especially not to be missed if you are with children. We were there as a couple, but were lucky enough to have a family also taking the same tour. Watching the kids was priceless!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this tour. Our guide was so enthusiastic that it was not possible to resist making friends with iguanas!