“Gomez & Roxy = excellent tour!”

Green Iguana Conservation Project
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in San Ignacio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Located at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel, the Project is a continuous effort that aims to conserve and look after the endangered Green Iguana species in Belize. The hatchery uses interactive exhibits and programs to help educate and create awareness among international and local visitors. Here, you are given the opportunity mingle with these wonderful reptiles and also, learn the about the incubation, hatching, rearing, and releasing process
Livermore, CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Gomez & Roxy = excellent tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Let me start by saying I'm not a fan of reptiles but after this tour, Eddie had me holding iguanas! I loved every minute of this tour. Eddie is extremely knowledgeable and answered every question we had. We got to hold Gomez & Roxy and get them warm from our body heat. The baby iguanas were great too! We were covered in iguanas and had tons of pictures taken by Eddie. I highly recommend this tour. It's great for adults and kids alike and the money (about $6 US) goes to a good cause!

Vermont
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great project to help iguanas!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised. I only went because we had a young child with us. However, it was quite informative and it is nice to contribute to such a great project to save the iguanas! First time I saw an orange Iguana (Gomez, the big daddy of the group). The babies were adorable!

San Ignacio, Belize
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Excellent jungle walk in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

A lovely jungle trail down to the river and a wonderful Iguana conservation project. One of the only places I have seen Emerald Toucanets!

Göteborg
“Great to come so close to the animals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

You can see them, touch them, feed them - Great. The Guide was excellent

Lake Country, Canada
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Interesting and a worthy cause.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

My wife and I visited the Iguana's the same day I was visiting the local fire stations, as a retired Firefighter it's just something I do. Since the Iguana are near one of the stations we decided to visit them the same day. You ca walk there from San Ignacio and it is actually on the way to the local Cahal Pech Mayan Ruins, so I guess you could do both in one day if you planned it that way.
We enjoyed the it, but would have been so much better with children. I would give this a must see if you are traveling with young children. The tour is very informing, I had no idea that the Iguana were becoming endangered. The tour guide was friendly and helpful, and a wealth of information about local plants and animals.

Visited November 2010