“Dependable and Reliable”

and up
Horseback Ride to Xunantunich Maya Ruins Including Traditional Lunch
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mayawalk Tours is an eco-friendly, family owned, local tour operator based in San Ignacio, Cayo, Belize. We have been operating adventure tours since 1997, and we offer over a dozen adventure tours in Belize, with special emphasis on caving and canoeing tours. Our local guides are more than happy to share their knowledge about the archaeology and history of the sites that you will visit. Whether you are in the mood for a leisurely tour or a more rugged adventure, Mayawalk Tours can help you plan a special trip that you will remember for a lifetime.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Rochester, New York
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 233 helpful votes
“Dependable and Reliable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I recently booked a tour to Tikal through Mayawalk Tours in San Ignacio. Our price was lower than other tour companies and was based on how many people total were going. We had another couple signed up so our price was lowered. I compared prices with our hotel and two other places and they were better, especially if you were interested in also booking cave tubing and/or ATM tour. Jimmy our driver was very dependable and made us feel as ease, especially with crossing into Guatemala, we had to do nothing but a quick stop at immigration and a switch of drivers across the walkway. Everything they told us in regards to what the trip included, lunch, transportation, and the attraction was what we paid for and received. They are worth the time and effort to visit when you are in San Ignacio--a common stop for visiting Tikal. If coming from Belize City, just take the Benque bus which stops in Belmopan. You may have to switch buses and wait 30 mintues but it is worth the sights, time and money. From Belize City to Benque cost us 9USD each for the entire trip. Mayawalk Tours even picked us up and dropped us off at our hotel. When we decided to head to Hopkins the next day instead of doing the cave tubing tour, they graciously returned our deposit to us--very professional and ensured that they received a positive rating from TravelPapi!

3 Thank Travelpapi153

Auckland, New Zealand
“ATM caves = awesome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We booked in for the ATM caves day trip - it was awesome, our guide Erin was super knowledgeable and had lots of entertaining stories to keep us entertained. The caves were incredible and Erin had us turn off our head lamps at parts to help gain a greater appreciation for the caves etc, which made for some pretty memorable moments. We got a lot of info about the history of the caves and there were answers for all of our questions (we always have a lot of questions). The walk to the caves was also pretty cool, we found baby swamp turtles and a Yellow jaw snake which was pretty exciting - Jimmy was good fun and quite a character, although he did promise us a free breakfast and shoes for the excursion, the message didn't get handed down to his #2, so there was a bit of a run around to get breakfast for us from somewhere else, and we went back to get our own shoes (there were 4 pairs of crocs to choose from, didn't have much of a chance of fitting our big-[--] feet!) - But all up, an awesome day and Mayawalk sponsor some local kids schooling and some other small local businesses so that was an awesome bonus :)

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“MAYAWALK TOURS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We booked ATM & Cave Tubing with this group and we really enjoyed the tours. I would recommend them because you are truly supporting locals right down to the food they serve you which is made by a local women raising two kids on her own. These individuals are extremely knowledgeable in Mayan culture and they were very professional. The food they serve you is traditional Belizean cuisine so they are not giving you a cheap sandwich for your lunch and they also provide awesome rum punch.

1 Thank Denise F
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good tour, fire Jimmy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Overall our tour of the ATM caves was a good time and well worth doing but getting things figured out was a miserable experience. Let me start by saying our guides were very nice, informative and very enjoyable. However, tour sales in San Ignacio seem to be a cut throat business. Jimmy, the older guy who lined things up for us was incredibly dishonest and basically told us anything to ensure we went with his company. We were promised a free all inclusive breakfast, a particular tour guide we requested, water shoes for a couple in our group, and complimentary beer at the conclusion of the tour. All of this was agreed on as a selling point of going with this company. Our group was not high maintenance and would have been alright with what was actually delivered if we had not been promised so much more. Even worse Jimmy was only briefly at the restaurant/tour company and left the bulk of our disappointment on his associates who seemed to be just as clueless as we were about the situation. Again, mismanaged an unreal expectaions were set to sell us and less was delivered.
Going back to tour sales being cut throat in San Ignacio we seemed to uncover a fued between tour "salesmen." Rudy, a local guy who works the bus stop also tried to sell us the tour. Avoid this guy like the plague. After we signed on with the other company Rudy acted hostile towards our group and this company. Both Rudy and Jimmy bad mouthed eachother leading us to believe they are both incredibly crooked. This series of events only got more interesting when the wheel on our van flew off(not just a blown tire or flat)on the return which our guides suspected sabotage. It would not surprise me if Rudy was the culprit of removing or loosening the lug nuts that led to this event that could have easy resulted in serious injury if circumstances or the road condition would have been different.
Bottom line, Jimmy tainted our whole experience with this company overshadowing the other positives of all the other individuals that would have otherwise made for a great experience.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank MTF1
mayawalktours, Manager at MayaWalk Tours, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I was working the morning shift before the ATM tour went out and I remember everything quite vividly. When I got to work I noticed a group of six travelers’ sitting down about to have breakfast. Eventually, I started speaking to them and they informed me that they were about to go on the ATM tour. Mayawalk is all about service. Sometimes when you reserve a tour with us we will go the extra mile to suffice our clients. Our director at times promises clients free footwear, breakfast and water. When doing the ATM tour you must factor in that it is a wet tour and footwear do get soaking wet hence the reason we promise free footwear at times. This is done so clients can avoid getting their footwear wet. It was a simple case of miscommunication and I was not aware that breakfast and footwear was included. Immediately I did not make it a problem or issue. I simply asked Jimmy if breakfast and footwear was included and he said yes. Clients did get free breakfast and I even rented shoes for a couple of them. I did not have the right size footwear for all the guests and that is why I rented shoes for a few of them. We did provide the services that Jimmy promised them. This is why I can’t understand why this traveler came on trip advisor to attempt to tarnish our services/image. Clients were promised a particular tour guide but said guide was not available that day because he had a family situation he had to deal with. This is part of life and at times certain things manifest and we have to make certain substitution. I personally apologized to the clients.
I had to deal with the situation because Jimmy had to leave the office since he is in charge of the Tikal tour. He had to transfer some guests to the border who were slated to go on the Tikal tour.
San Ignacio is a very competitive town and I personally know about other places bad mouthing other tour shops. It is a highly unprofessional and egregious act that I whole heartedly do not support. Rudy is no way affiliated with Mayawalk. He probes the street looking for guests to book tour(s). When he do book a client to do a tour he outsource it to another company. Mayawalk does not outsource any of its tours.
Finally, that morning we were very busy and we had to rent a few vans which were all arranged to go on different tours. We had clients doing the Tikal, Caracol, Tubing and ATM tour. One of the rental vans was sent on the ATM tour. I must reiterate it was not a Mayawalk van. I will admit that a tire came off but fortunately Mayawalk has experience drivers. He did notice there was an odd behavior with the wheel so he decided to drive quite slowly. He was about to do a check on said wheel when it spun off. No one was injured. In fact he gently pulled the vehicle off the highway. Mayawalk has a great response team. Another coworker and myself were on the scene in twenty minutes.
No tour operator or business has a flawless record. I will admit that at times you have setbacks but what is significantly important is how you deal with those setbacks, how quickly you respond to those setbacks and how genuinely and fairly you treat your guests. I can say with conviction that Mayawalk management and staff responded swiftly, eagerly and with great poise. Hopefully this review will be omitted from our Mayawalk page.
Manager,
Andrew Haylock
Houston, Texas
“Best tour in Belize!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Top reasons to tour with Mayawalk:
1. Extremely informative and professional!
2. Fun and adventurous!
3. Educational history of Mayan culture!
ATM tour with Mayawalk is the best ever! Extremely friendly and informative about everything! Our tour guide, Aaron, walked us through details from plants to anaimals along the walk to the cave and answered all questions in the cave! He then introduced us to a local archeologist that was with a group in the cave (with my curious science background as a biology teacher) encouraged a conversation for both groups to enjoy and learn! A must see tour in Belize!

Visited July 2013