“Best tour company in Belize!”
Review of MayaWalk Tours

$70.00*
Macal River Canoeing and Rainforest Medicinal Trail
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mayawalk Tours is an eco-friendly, family owned, local tour operator based in San Ignacio, Cayo, Belize. We have been operating adventure tours since 1997, and we offer over a dozen adventure tours in Belize, with special emphasis on caving and canoeing tours. Our local guides are more than happy to share their knowledge about the archaeology and history of the sites that you will visit. Whether you are in the mood for a leisurely tour or a more rugged adventure, Mayawalk Tours can help you plan a special trip that you will remember for a lifetime.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I did the ATM (Actun Tunichil Muknal) tour with Mayawalk and it was the best day of my trip! I 100% recommend this tour company to anyone traveling in Belize. The tour guide Aaron was wonderful!!! Very friendly, professional, and helpful. It was obvious that he truly loves his work and he is extremely knowledgeable. If you are in Belize I would highly recommend this once in a lifetime tour and Mayawalk is the best tour company to go with!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I recently returned from a two week trip to Belize where the first week was spent diving then I moved to the interior to explore Mayan ruins and check out some caves. Unfortunately I hit Belize in the low season which wasn't necessarily a bad thing however it's not easy to set up tours when your by yourself so I was slightly limited. I ate my first meal at Mayawalk which had excellent food and good prices. While eating there I chatted with the extremely friendly staff that is mostly family so its a very comfortable tight knit group. I ended up checking out a few Mayan ruins on my own then joined up with Mayawalk's tour into the ATM caves. Let me say if you only have time to check out one thing while in San Ignacio go check out these caves it was amazing. Our tour guide for the trip was Gonzo and he is a very knowledgeable anthropologist who constantly feeds you information about the ancient Mayans along the trip. I checked out a few other sites with them since I enjoyed the first one so much and all of them were just as well done as the first. My last day in San Ignacio I didn't really have anything planned and after talking with one of the owners of Mayawalk Jimmy, he suggested I check out his farm. Jimmy has created this machine they call the Jungle buggy and it was great riding in the back of it out to his farm. Once we arrived out there Jimmy taught me all about how they farm down there in the tropics. We then took a walk through the jungle out to a river, along the way he showed me various plants and fruits that could be eaten basically giving me a crash course on jungle survival. To sum up this rant these guys are pretty awesome and great to be around not to mention a very short walk from the bus stop. If you're heading through San Ignacio I suggest you check them out.

2  Thank Ian C
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We went on the day tour of Tikal Mayan ruins. We had the most amazing tour guide, Oscar, we picked up along the way. He was very knowledgeable & we all enjoyed the tour very much. Guatemala is a beautiful country, with very lovely people. We will do this trip again, only plan to spend three days & two nights. Thank you, Jimmy @ Mayawalk!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I'll get the negatives out the way first... The owner of mayawalk is a pushy guy who prowls the street looking for punters and pulling people into his bar/restaurant. He went as far as spreading rumours about his competition's hygiene standards, so we avoided eating at Mayawalk on principal.
On to the tour... Probably my favourite experience of the whole trip!
We went with a guide who called himself 'el padrino' (the godfather) as he was the first guide to begin tours in the early 1990s and clearly knows the caves like the back of his hand. We drove an hour out of San Ignacio then another hour along a bumpy road to the caves. After a 45 min walk to the cave entrance we headed inside, a swim in chilly water led to scrambling over large rocks, climbing a mini cliff and wading upstream before we got to the area of the cave where offerings were left. We saw tonnes of pottery, plus some human sacrifice skulls, and a full skeleton right at the end.
There's nothing like this experience, so it's a must do trip!
We paid $85US per person and the trip lasted until about 15:00 before heading back to San Ignacio.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We did the tour to Tikal on a rainy day. The trip was well coordinated and good value. The dude that runs Mayawalk, ex-British army, is extremely nice. Would highly recommend.