“Caracol ATM Cave and Farming”
Review of MayaWalk Tours

and up
Horseback Ride to Xunantunich Maya Ruins Including Traditional Lunch
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mayawalk Tours is an eco-friendly, family owned, local tour operator based in San Ignacio, Cayo, Belize. We have been operating adventure tours since 1997, and we offer over a dozen adventure tours in Belize, with special emphasis on caving and canoeing tours. Our local guides are more than happy to share their knowledge about the archaeology and history of the sites that you will visit. Whether you are in the mood for a leisurely tour or a more rugged adventure, Mayawalk Tours can help you plan a special trip that you will remember for a lifetime.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Ashby, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Caracol ATM Cave and Farming”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I recently returned from a two week trip to Belize where the first week was spent diving then I moved to the interior to explore Mayan ruins and check out some caves. Unfortunately I hit Belize in the low season which wasn't necessarily a bad thing however it's not easy to set up tours when your by yourself so I was slightly limited. I ate my first meal at Mayawalk which had excellent food and good prices. While eating there I chatted with the extremely friendly staff that is mostly family so its a very comfortable tight knit group. I ended up checking out a few Mayan ruins on my own then joined up with Mayawalk's tour into the ATM caves. Let me say if you only have time to check out one thing while in San Ignacio go check out these caves it was amazing. Our tour guide for the trip was Gonzo and he is a very knowledgeable anthropologist who constantly feeds you information about the ancient Mayans along the trip. I checked out a few other sites with them since I enjoyed the first one so much and all of them were just as well done as the first. My last day in San Ignacio I didn't really have anything planned and after talking with one of the owners of Mayawalk Jimmy, he suggested I check out his farm. Jimmy has created this machine they call the Jungle buggy and it was great riding in the back of it out to his farm. Once we arrived out there Jimmy taught me all about how they farm down there in the tropics. We then took a walk through the jungle out to a river, along the way he showed me various plants and fruits that could be eaten basically giving me a crash course on jungle survival. To sum up this rant these guys are pretty awesome and great to be around not to mention a very short walk from the bus stop. If you're heading through San Ignacio I suggest you check them out.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Ian C

San Jose Succotz, Belize
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tikal, Guatemala”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We went on the day tour of Tikal Mayan ruins. We had the most amazing tour guide, Oscar, we picked up along the way. He was very knowledgeable & we all enjoyed the tour very much. Guatemala is a beautiful country, with very lovely people. We will do this trip again, only plan to spend three days & two nights. Thank you, Jimmy @ Mayawalk!

Maidstone, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“ATM caves = Amazing Tranquil Magical”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I'll get the negatives out the way first... The owner of mayawalk is a pushy guy who prowls the street looking for punters and pulling people into his bar/restaurant. He went as far as spreading rumours about his competition's hygiene standards, so we avoided eating at Mayawalk on principal.
On to the tour... Probably my favourite experience of the whole trip!
We went with a guide who called himself 'el padrino' (the godfather) as he was the first guide to begin tours in the early 1990s and clearly knows the caves like the back of his hand. We drove an hour out of San Ignacio then another hour along a bumpy road to the caves. After a 45 min walk to the cave entrance we headed inside, a swim in chilly water led to scrambling over large rocks, climbing a mini cliff and wading upstream before we got to the area of the cave where offerings were left. We saw tonnes of pottery, plus some human sacrifice skulls, and a full skeleton right at the end.
There's nothing like this experience, so it's a must do trip!
We paid $85US per person and the trip lasted until about 15:00 before heading back to San Ignacio.

Raleigh, NC
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great Service! Great People!”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We did the tour to Tikal on a rainy day. The trip was well coordinated and good value. The dude that runs Mayawalk, ex-British army, is extremely nice. Would highly recommend.

Edmonton, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Not what they say they are”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Skip Mayawalk tours completely and go to the bar instead--bar has a great location on the main street and a nice open air atmosphere. As for the tours, I did two with them and was quite disappointed both times. The content of the tours themselves were ok, nothing special and the guides were fine, but everything else was mediocre at best. For one tour I was told to come to the office by 7:15 am b/c the tour was to leave at 7:30. Finally we left at almost 8:30, drove for 15 minutes and then had to go back b/c they forgot our lunches. On both tours the AC in the vans were not working (just blew hot air!) which made for a loooong and sweaty drive. Lunch was also minimal and quite yucky with no drinks offered except rum punch. When we went cave tubing, I continue to feel that we were overcharged for the product we received (I believe the tour we were offered was shorter than what is typically done for the $75 charge). To the credit of the management, I did send an email regarding these concerns and the response I received was respectful (in contrast to some of the accusatory and deflective responses I have read on TripAdvisor). The thing about Mayawalk is that they have a prime location on the main street, they are the first tour company you encounter as you walk down the street, present nicely with their nice patio bar/tour desk and are quite aggressive in recruiting tourists as they walk down the street so I can see how one would end up on a tour with them. But I think you are better served continuing to walk past to other tour companies with less of the glitz and glamour but more consistent, sustainable service. Mayawalk could be good but needs to step up to provide the type of service that they advertise on their website.

1 Thank Ash22658