“Dont let yourself get stuck here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Super Palm Resort

Super Palm Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Belmopan
Malmo, Sweden
“Dont let yourself get stuck here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here in december 2012 and it was THE worst experience we have had.

We arrived and it seemed like a laidback family owned resort with nice staff. First off we wanted to go to Belize zoo and maybe do a cave tour in their package. Since we read reviews about them helping people with giving customers the best possible price, we thought it was ok. Later with the help of the internet, we found out that it was very overpriced.

Next day we wanted to go to the golf course. We asked how much it cost for them to drive us back and forth to the nearby golf course. They wanted 120 belize dollars ($60usd) one way. We thought it was ridicoulusly expensive. We asked them to call us a local taxi instead which we knew was about 30 belize ($15usd). The taxi shows up and we asked how much before getting in. He said 100 belize ($50usd) we knew straight away this was wrong and we got the price down to 40 belize ($20usd) which was also way too much. When we left the taxi driver admitted that the staff at super palm resort told him to chrage us 100 belize. We were so shocked, it was horrible. Thats when we realised that their friendliness was completey fake.
We also wanted to book a tour to Tikal Tour through them. They quoted $210usd per person. We turned it down as we thought it was a little steep. We checked the internet on prices from San Ignacio (45min drive away) and found a company with excellent reviews for ($145 usd p.p). We also managed to get the phone number of the taxi driver that drove us back from the golf course and called him, he quoted $30usd each way. So divided by 4 people it turned out to be $160 usd per person. A saving of $50usd per person. A huge saving!
When we told them our plans for doing the tour ourselves, they were not impressed and then after that they werent as friendly and warm as they were before. Things got very uncomfortable after that, especially as we were the only ones there for our 5 night stay and they happen to be there all the time in the common area when relaxing.
We are not normally fussy eaters, but the food was very overpriced for the quality and not that great.
Also on the 2nd last day we realised that we forgot that a continential breakfast was meant to be included every morning of our stay.
They had not let us know or reminded us about that. When we talked to them about getting just a refund of our coffees we brought on 2 days (altogether 4 coffees). We thought it was reasonable on their behalf as we had already spent $70usd on breakfast, which should have been free if they had not with held that information.
They refused to give us a refund (which Kathy said she was calling her supervisor, but when she went behind the curtain we couldnt hear her talking to anyone and then she told us without the supervisor permission she was not authorized to do anything. How convinent. Also for the 5 night stay we never saw a supervisor.
After a long debate we asked for bottles of water instead as compansation, which they gave. It was more the principle than anyone.

We just want to warn anyone thinking of staying here, beware of them trying to rip you off. Also if you get a good taxi driver there, get their number as it will work out to be a tonne cheaper than using Super Palm Resort's taxi service. As you are stuck in the middle of nowhere you need a taxi to get around.
Thats why we think they can get away with it, as you are stuck in the middle of nowhere with no option.

Be aware of them being very controlling and their need to know of what you are doing at all times which was very uncomfortable.

• Stayed December 2012
10 Thank alebale2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Belize on a whole is a beautiful country, kind people and gorgeous landscapes. Journeying back and forth to this jewel of Central America, I found a place to stay just on the outskirts of the capital city on the western highway. This particular establishment is one I just had to write a review on. It’s not a B&B, not a motel or just any ordinary hotel, they live up to their name being a resort in a subtropical region. Coconut lining entrance & blossoming organic fruits trees. A place to fly solo and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean. Dining at Arch seafood restaurant which at site serves all types of local and international cuisines; their chef truly is amazing, service befitting royalty. 5 min from the capital, it served as a great place to mix business with pleasure. For anyone looking to actually enjoy a vacation, or just accomplish a business trip I highly recommend Super Palm Resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Mark W
New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I requested a refund for my stay and was refused. They charged me $100 USD for a pizza. They lied and said it was because meat was expensive. Later in my trip I went to store and noticed prices were the same.
They wanted to charge us $25 for a ride into town that was five minutes away.
My previous review was deleted, I stayed there in June of 2011, I've traveled the world, the only 1 star I've ever given.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ShakoNM

Travelers are raving about these Belmopan hotels

Elmont, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was the classic case of internet misrepresentation. When we advised our local counterpart that we were going to stay there, she strongly suggested against it as is was so remote that while she lives and works in Belmopan, she had to google Super Palm to ascertain its location.

The facility is off the beaten track, about 8-10 minutes outside of Belmopan which did not concern us as the images looked really nice. However, the property is a construction site - there is a long winding unpaved road leading into the property - which posed security as well as transportation concerns - and the second red flag was that the signage was not maintained - one large sign was propped up against the uprights of the stand it should have been on - made me wonder what goes on in the kitchen.

THEN we got to the "Resort" - which is an aspirational description - maybe when construction is over it will be a resort but on July 1, 2012 when my party arrived, it was not. The "Reception" area was unadorned or raw concrete with a few sofas scattered with covers as if they had been salvaged from someone's jumble sale. They I realized why the Reception area was not included in the pictures online. There were two persons there - a woman and a young man - both staff and there was no evidence of any guests. The room did not pass muster either - I was on a two week business trip and it did not have a closet - just two hooks with four hangers so my partner and I had no place to locate our clothes. Also, the rooms were on the lower level so anyone could venture out of the bush to the door which was less than sturdy. My partner pointed to a staircase which led to nowhere - guess when the upper level is completed, it will become a Resort.

We tried to get on the internet to make a Skype call to some other locations which had been suggested - and discovered that the local telephone company blocks Skype - but the effort made us realize that the internet at the property was operating at snail's pace - which the woman blamed on the windy conditions - for my partner who is an IT specialist, that was the last stray.

The woman tried to convince us to stay at least one night - which I immediately realized would negate any demands for a full refund - and I told her no way - I had to be on my A game next morning and accommodation was on today's agenda. We also cancelled the booking for our colleague who was to join us a week later.

There were no taxis at the facility contrary to what she had told me when I called after our local counterpart had freaked out. I learnt later that taxis in Belmopan do not operate after 5PM so we would have had serious difficulty to get back to the location when we finished working each day.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
11 Thank Andrea W
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

A true Belizian experience. A short ride (less than 5 min) to downtown Belmopan; centrally located, safe, real. The hosts (Kathy and Bob) are genuine, kind, and will assist in planning your trip by helping with touring, pick up, or even making a meal at "off times", if asked. Please do not be deceived, there is no TV (and to be honest, it was very nice not to have it!), yet, there is A/C and internet. The food is excellent and the accomdations just fine.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BebeTerry
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is a very nice authentic Belizian Hotel. If you are looking for a western hotel/resort set in Belize you won't find it here. This is a wonderful family owned hotel/resort tucked away in the jungle yet in Belmopan; the capital of Belize. The location is perfectly central to nearly every place of interest or other cities. The service is warm and sincere. I traveled with a friend and colleague for a nursing program from the states. We changed our plans several times resulting in changes in being picked up from Belize City. Each time Kathy and Bob responded with "just let up know when and where to pick you up". Once we made it to the resort we were delighted with the quaintness and warmth. Kathy cooked delicious meals for us each day and we brought the students to enjoy a meal which they truly enjoyed. Oh, I loved her hot sauce so much I asked her (and she agreed) to make a batch for me to take back home. Also Kathy and Bob took us on a tour of the vegetation around the resort explaining the health benefits of various plants.... Very kind. So if you are seeking a nice laid back authentic Belizian experience this is the place to stay. But if you are looking for a western experience in a beautiful developing county I'm not sure this is the place for you.
Daisy

Room Tip: There are services that I did not know about until the end of the stay e.g. Massage, childcare.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Placencia, Belize
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

It's a nice location, even though a bit further from the Town. My Girlfriend & I met the wonderful staff & Kathy was kind enough to greet us & showed us to our room. The room was very nice & the Hotel was Lovely. Would definatley recommend Super Palm Hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Sleeping Giant Lodge
Amber Sunset Jungle Resort
Table Rock Jungle Lodge
Table Rock Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in Cristo Rey

Been to Super Palm Resort? Share your experiences!