“Refused to stay there - Not a Resort - Rather a construction site!”
Review of Super Palm Resort

Super Palm Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Belmopan
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was the classic case of internet misrepresentation. When we advised our local counterpart that we were going to stay there, she strongly suggested against it as is was so remote that while she lives and works in Belmopan, she had to google Super Palm to ascertain its location.

The facility is off the beaten track, about 8-10 minutes outside of Belmopan which did not concern us as the images looked really nice. However, the property is a construction site - there is a long winding unpaved road leading into the property - which posed security as well as transportation concerns - and the second red flag was that the signage was not maintained - one large sign was propped up against the uprights of the stand it should have been on - made me wonder what goes on in the kitchen.

THEN we got to the "Resort" - which is an aspirational description - maybe when construction is over it will be a resort but on July 1, 2012 when my party arrived, it was not. The "Reception" area was unadorned or raw concrete with a few sofas scattered with covers as if they had been salvaged from someone's jumble sale. They I realized why the Reception area was not included in the pictures online. There were two persons there - a woman and a young man - both staff and there was no evidence of any guests. The room did not pass muster either - I was on a two week business trip and it did not have a closet - just two hooks with four hangers so my partner and I had no place to locate our clothes. Also, the rooms were on the lower level so anyone could venture out of the bush to the door which was less than sturdy. My partner pointed to a staircase which led to nowhere - guess when the upper level is completed, it will become a Resort.

We tried to get on the internet to make a Skype call to some other locations which had been suggested - and discovered that the local telephone company blocks Skype - but the effort made us realize that the internet at the property was operating at snail's pace - which the woman blamed on the windy conditions - for my partner who is an IT specialist, that was the last stray.

The woman tried to convince us to stay at least one night - which I immediately realized would negate any demands for a full refund - and I told her no way - I had to be on my A game next morning and accommodation was on today's agenda. We also cancelled the booking for our colleague who was to join us a week later.

There were no taxis at the facility contrary to what she had told me when I called after our local counterpart had freaked out. I learnt later that taxis in Belmopan do not operate after 5PM so we would have had serious difficulty to get back to the location when we finished working each day.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
12  Thank Andrea W

Reviewed June 29, 2012

A true Belizian experience. A short ride (less than 5 min) to downtown Belmopan; centrally located, safe, real. The hosts (Kathy and Bob) are genuine, kind, and will assist in planning your trip by helping with touring, pick up, or even making a meal at "off times", if asked. Please do not be deceived, there is no TV (and to be honest, it was very nice not to have it!), yet, there is A/C and internet. The food is excellent and the accomdations just fine.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BebeTerry
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is a very nice authentic Belizian Hotel. If you are looking for a western hotel/resort set in Belize you won't find it here. This is a wonderful family owned hotel/resort tucked away in the jungle yet in Belmopan; the capital of Belize. The location is perfectly central to nearly every place of interest or other cities. The service is warm and sincere. I traveled with a friend and colleague for a nursing program from the states. We changed our plans several times resulting in changes in being picked up from Belize City. Each time Kathy and Bob responded with "just let up know when and where to pick you up". Once we made it to the resort we were delighted with the quaintness and warmth. Kathy cooked delicious meals for us each day and we brought the students to enjoy a meal which they truly enjoyed. Oh, I loved her hot sauce so much I asked her (and she agreed) to make a batch for me to take back home. Also Kathy and Bob took us on a tour of the vegetation around the resort explaining the health benefits of various plants.... Very kind. So if you are seeking a nice laid back authentic Belizian experience this is the place to stay. But if you are looking for a western experience in a beautiful developing county I'm not sure this is the place for you.
Daisy

Room Tip: There are services that I did not know about until the end of the stay e.g. Massage, childcare.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2012

It's a nice location, even though a bit further from the Town. My Girlfriend & I met the wonderful staff & Kathy was kind enough to greet us & showed us to our room. The room was very nice & the Hotel was Lovely. Would definatley recommend Super Palm Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Its not the Sheraton and its not the Hilton. And that’s its charm. Its a wonderfull little Inn. The hospitality is 10 star and the hospitality is so quaintly genuine. The rooms are comfortable and serve their purpose. You MUST eat in its little restaurant as often as you can. Each meal was magnificent. ! It may or may not be busy – but either way you will be in for a treat.. Each meal was crafted with care by Kathy and served by Kibert. My visit to the Super palm was certainly not your usual hotel experience. Its one I would highly recommend to those prepared for genuine hospitality and warmth, MAGNIFACENT meals and a very chilled environment. It’s a place you can relax.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Roy A
Reviewed April 14, 2012

In February we stayed at Super Palm Resort and had a great time! There was no cable TV, but, hey, we were in a third-world country, and who needs it when you're on vacation?! We had WiFi, which was nice! Every day after the room was cleaned silk flowers were arranged in some pretty design. What makes Super Palm stand out from any other place we've ever stayed at is the hospitality and extreme friendliness of our gracious host, Kathy, and her assistant Kibert! When we came back from a day of sightseeing, they would sit and chat with us like we were family. We weren't used to the pampering, but it was nice! My husband bought bagels at one of the markets and Kathy toasted them each day and served them with his breakfast. Now where else would you get that kind of treatment?! The Arch Seafood Restaurant was very nice. The atmosphere and ambience was elegant. The breakfast with the homegrown fruits was just amazing!! Everyday there was something new. Kathy even took us on a tour of the fruit gardens and gave us some fresh sugarcane to eat. If you are traveling to Belize and a little nervous about being in a different country, go to Super Palm Resort and you will feel like one of the family!!! John and Lisa

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We booked two nights in this "resort" based on its looks online, which was a big mistake. This place is not a "resort," at best, it is a motel that one would expect to pay $40 a night for in the U.S, but the online price was over $100. We were the only guests there, which was a bit disappointing. There are no safes or other places to secure valuables in the rooms. The rooms and furniture are very old and worn. I can't comment on the food because we refused to eat there. The prices for tours in the area were outrageously high. Thankfully, we only booked for two nights, so we just toughed it out and moved on.

On a positive note, the staff was friendly, which is why I rate this place poor instead of terrible. I would not recommend staying here, either stay at the Bullfrog Inn if you have to stay close to the city, or keep driving another 15 miles west and stay at the Orange Inn. Both places have superior accomodations for significantly less money.

Room Tip: Just keep driving...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jeff J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Sleeping Giant Lodge
#14 of 14 in San Ignacio
Ka'ana Resort
Ka'ana Resort
#3 of 14 in San Ignacio

Been to Super Palm Resort? Share your experiences!