“A Resort in the Middle of the Jungle”

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Tropical foliage, exotic wildlife, wide, fast-flowing river, interesting guests, professional, knowledgeable, happy staff--that's Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge. Our "tree house" was gorgeous! Oh, and then there's the well-planned adventures. Really fun--our college aged girls loved it and so did we. A hotel to remember forever!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge

Reviewed December 8, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a 9 day stay at Cave's Branch. While I travel a lot, I have never posted a review. However, I can't miss an opportunity to let anyone and everyone know how fantastic a vacation we had. This holiday and accommodation exceeded every expectation we had.
The location and facilities were lovely. The staff were beyond friendly and accommodating. The food was plentiful and delicious (rumour has it that another post listed it as inedible - not so. Fresh ingredients, well prepared, varied menu, good for vegetarians as well as carnivores). The room (we stayed in the treehouse) was spectacular.
But most of all - THE ADVENTURES - well thought out, fun, exciting, unique and world class. True, I don't rate this hotel a 5* for sleep quality-who expects to sleep when overnighting in a hammock in a cave, 350 feet down a sinkhole in the rainforest?? The waterfall hike-outstanding. The guides were very well versed in survival and adventure training, but also fun, interesting and creative in ensuring you had the best experience.

Where else in the world can you go and be Indiana Jones and Lara Croft for fun!!
Don't miss this experience!! REALLY.

Reviewed December 6, 2010

Set in a beautiful jungle setting with painstakingly maintained grounds and facilities, this place is a great find. The suite was very nice with screens instead of windows so you feel more like you're sleeping in the jungle. I saw one of the treehouses too and it was cool with the view of the river. Despite a hurricane hitting them rather hard about a month ago, the grounds still look great. Plenty of birds around too. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Food was excellent. One thing to note, the staff don't warn you if you're ordering drinks not in the package (only local rum and beer).

Did the waterfall caving and black hole repelling adventures. The guides are excellent and the adventures were good fun. I'd highly recommend the waterfall caving. Just a short way down the road is the Blue Hole where you can also do Neko's Adventures. He offers cave tubing, waterfall repelling and a cliff repel 3x higher than Cave Branch's (better prices at Neko's too).

If you can afford it, definitely make a visit to Caves Branch.

Reviewed November 19, 2010

This was one of teh best vacations have ever had. I started out on the oslands for relaxation and diving and had not planned the rest of my trip but had heard of Caves Branch and contatcted then and tehy were able to accomadate on short notice and I cannot express how much fun and enjoyment we had with them. Caves Branch staff are amazing, the food is great, the caving and other advebtures are led by experienced people and are great fun. I will be returning ASAP for some more Jungle Adventures.

Reviewed November 7, 2010

We came here after our trip to Guatemala, so that may have affected my experience here. I came from an amazing eco lodge, Nitun Private Reserve, where the owners were genuine, we were the only ones with our tour guides, the food was spectacular and it was truly an authentic experience.
We got here late at night and barely made the dinner service. The grounds were spectacular, but clearly landscaped. The Lodge was beautiful but designed for tourism. We get there and eat our $25 buffet dinner. It was barely edible. We sign up for multiple tours, all almost $100. We go to our room. It was quite nice, and had screens to the outdoors so that you could hear the wildlife, which I enjoyed. You had a feeling of privacy even though your neighbors were walking right by. They had an outdoor shower. They don't have any locks... or plugs. So, if you want your stuff safe, you have to bring it to the lobby every morning and they take it up to the main office. If you want to charge your cell phone or laptop or camera, you have to leave it in the lobby. You can pretty much forget about a hair dryer. A little strange. There were multiple power outages, which wasn't too much of a problem. I believe that they are on thier own power source which probably explains it, but it was still a bit of a nuisance.

So we go on our first tour and it was the classic caves float tour. We go with another couple and thier tour guide to a field and tromp out to the drop-in point. We float upstream into the caves. It was fine, but it definitely felt set up. They had all of these pots that were supposedly there since the beginning of man or something, but it seemed a bit put on. We ate our lunch in the cave. Get this... tortillas, with ham pieces, warm cheddar cheese, mustard, cucumbers, tomatoes and other condiments. For some reason, this combination really upset my stomach...

Luckily, we met up with another couple while we were signing up for tours that had a car, so that afternoon they took us to the Blue Hole a mile down the road and into Belmopan where we had dinner and went to a nightclub and had an "authentic" Belizean experience. And we didn't over pay for our dinner.

The good thing - the people that stayed there were definitely the type of people that I generally like - outdoorsy, young, interested in adventure and the less touristy path. Unfortunately, we were all on that path and without a car, we were all stuck there paying too much for buffet dinners and breakfasts and going on overpriced tours that felt like we were in a Disney park.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank liveeattravels
Reviewed October 28, 2010

A great time! Stayed for 6 days / 5 nights and had a great adventure every day! Actun Tunichil Muknal spelunking, Zip lining, Mayan ruins @ Tikal or repelling 300 feet from the top of a collapsed cenote. At the end of each day, return to a nice cool pool for a swim and a drink. Great food. Nice villas to sleep in. Just awesome all around. Ian is a great story teller and his wife makes amazing food!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Our trip to Caves Branch was an experience of a lifetime!! My husband and I traveled to Caves Branch not knowing what to expect. Although we don't normally do adventure trips, we were looking to try something a bit different. We were not disappointed!! We loved the adventure trips, especially the waterfall cave expedition (truly amazing!!). We also took the day trip over to Tikal, which was a must see!! I can't say enough about Caves Branch. The people were kind, the food delicious, the environment amazing! I can't wait to take my new son there in a few years! (When we went, there were a few children about 8 years old and they had an awesome time -- I would highly recommend it as a family trip!).

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank APA96
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Sleeping Giant Lodge
Gaia Riverlodge
Gaia Riverlodge
#1 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
Amber Sunset Jungle Resort

Been to Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!