“practically perfect in every way”

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“practically perfect in every way”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The guides here are why you love it so much. With their machetes at hand and their intimate knowledge of the jungle, their great senses of humor -- they show you a whole new world, and make you feel like the first person to explore it. Everyday was a real challenge, often scary for me -- but this fear felt right and made everything incredibly vital and amazing. By the end of our week there, I was ready for anything. The housing is lovely -- our casita was in the jungle/botanical garden, animals and birds and insects flitting all around just through the screens (no windows -- the jungle can be LOUD!) outdoor shower and orchids dripping everywhere. The food is wonderful, and because you are starving after a huge day climbing or hiking,it tastes even better. Family style dining means you see the same faces every night and the atmosphere is warm and comfortable. We plan to go back for a jungle survival week, one day of food two guides, 4 days in the jungle.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nabodo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed March 14, 2013

awesome place to enjoy nature at all levels. Been there 4 times in the last 8 years. They add to the resort each time. Everyone at the resort from the owners to the bartenders are very friendly. You can sit by the pool or hike a mile into a cave to jump off a waterfall. Its all great. All the guides are well trained and and know everything about nature and the area. They can also rescue you from the jungle, just in case.

Room Tip: go for one of the tree houses
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jamesh900_12
South England
Reviewed March 13, 2013

OK, lets get the faults over with first. Expensive, no free WIFI, no mains sockets in most rooms (so you can’t charge anything!) . Bring an adapter that goes into a light socket (ES) to circumvent one serious restriction.

Aircon not possible as most rooms (delightfully, actually) have no glass, just 100% wrap-round mosquito net. This is a brilliant idea and works well (despite mosquitoes being about - bring bug repeller), wife unbitten all night, I got about 6 bites/night (probably teeny ones that got through the net), with or without an insecticide coil. Rooms are really, really good (non-treetop suite), large, comfortable but just one queen sized bed! The shower temperature can swing from scalding to cold without warning if the incoming hot water is hot.

Food has a limited selection, but fine (sometimes good), always buffet style, eaten on shared tables, a good chance to get info from, and give info to, other guests on the many activities. Important here as water conditions are constantly changing! Bar deserted by 9.00pm, everyone too tired from fun activities!

Staff are excellent, of the highest quality, deserve the tip you will give them (everyone at the end was my choice).

Mrs Anderson can be found wandering around with secateurs, go down on your knees to beg her for a conducted botany tour!! Fabulous...

Can seriously overcharge, a 45min completely pointless (and useless) 'night safari' (one land crab, three bugs, the resident tarantula and some rustles) behind the chalets for two of us got billed at an absurd $US150! Beware...

Many good activities but remember to keep ATM till last as its world-class awesome, and nothing can compare afterwards. Note that if you are really keen to go to Tikal or ATM, but there are not enough for Andersons to do the trip (eg 4 for Tikal), agents in town appear to be able to do it for 1 person, as they make up groups, and it may even be cheaper. One couple needlessly missed Tikal, which was their main reason to go to Belize.

NB You could (and some people did) do little but sun by the pool, if that's your bag, or you can have safe fun activities (we are mid-60's, we did activities!).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank OzS
Ladner, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

we only had 3 nights at Caves-but our stay was fabulous. Our Treehouse was magical! Our 2 adventures - Tikal and caving/tubing were amazing and the guides so knowledgeable and passionate. Also did the early morning birding tours as well as the botanical tour-WOW! The Jungle Flora and Fauna is fabulous! All the staff were helpful, accommodating, genuine, friendly and such wonderful ambassadors for Belize. Food was great and the freshly squeezed orange juice - yummy! Thank you so much and Caves Jungle Branch is surely a recommendation of ours.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cindy A
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I took our 7 year old daughter to caves branch this week and could not have asked for a better family adventure. The staff at the hotel is incredibly warm at every turn and never stops to please their guests. The tree house suite was amazing and was luxury in the middle of the jungle. The grounds are beautiful as you are in the middle of a botanical garden which is part of a 58,000 acre property that is privately owned and houses most of the excursions- which is unique because unlike other places in the jungle, you don't have to travel far to for those. The cave tubing was awesome along with a horse rise through the jungle. The guides are from Belize and are proud to teach you about their culture while also taking you on adventures. Our daughter said "this is better than disney!" and coming from a 7 year old that is a big compliment. We plan to go back next year for sure!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Paulaful
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Caves Branch and can't say enough good things about it!

The resort wasn't full when we stayed, so we got a free upgrade to the next room level, a jungle bungalow, which was BEAUTIFUL and very clean and tons of room for the 2 of us. Was also very private-- couldn't see the next bungalow beside us.

The staff were awesome-- I got hugs goodbye on my last day.

The food was delicious and plentiful- love the homemade tortillas!
(Would have loved to have tried a little more "Belizean" food though).

Loved how it encouraged socialization by having big dinner tables-- had so much fun chatting with our fellow guests.

The highlight of course though were our day trips
We did the Black Hole Drop, ATM Caves, Waterfall Caves & the cave tubing / zip line combo.

All were well organized, safety was a big priority and FUN.

We were pleasantly surprised too that when we were the only 2 to sign up for the black hole drop, they still took us-- the guides outnumbered us!!

Would love to come back one day.

Room Tip: The treehouses did look amazing but unless you can fill all the beds, a little expensive. The jungl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda B
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Once we went through customs we were greeted by our driver holding up a sign. The transfers are great and they help you with luggage every step of the way. Once there we were greeted by Eugene and let me tell you my husband and I loved this guy. He was helpful, attentive and down to earth which also can be said about the rest of the staff. We stayed in a Tree house and If there is such a thing as a five star tree house then this is it. Beautiful, relaxing and I loved listening to the sounds of the jungle while I lay in my wonderful bed. I did not want to leave. The food was good, the breakfast was excellent and there is a big variety to choose from. It's buffet style and communal but that only makes this place that much more unique and special. I went to the pool one day and could not believe how perfect the temp of the water was and if this is possible it felt soft to me. They have their own water filtration system which is one of the reasons I chose this place. It's super clean and it has to be the best place to stay if you want to spend time in the Belize jungle. I'm not in the best health but still participated in 3 adventures, the ATM Cave, horseback riding and the cave tubing expedition. My tour kinds worked with me when I was having some trouble and I can't say how much I appreciated that. Patrick my ATM guide and Carlos my cave tubing guide were the absolute best. We were there from the 22nd of February though the 26th and had beautiful weather the entire time. My birthday was on the 24th and the cook made me an absolutely "Beautiful" cake. Needless to say we had a great time and would like to go back again some day. Try a couple different adventures and take more time just enjoying the lodge and pool area. I have to say for me the tree house was the only way to go. I really, really enjoyed the time I spent in it. Just wonderful. Taking out door showers was an experience in itself. My only disappointment was we did not get a chance to go to Tikal because you need at least 4 people to go and we seemed to be the only people interested during our stay. To sum it up Caves Branch is a great place and a must do if you want some adventure and or something different.

Room Tip: Tree House is the way to go especially if older and looking for comfort. Bungalows are nice too and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SallyAnnH02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Sleeping Giant Lodge
Amber Sunset Jungle Resort
Hidden Valley Inn
Hidden Valley Inn
#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve

Been to Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!