“Best adventure ever!!”

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge
Elizabeth, Colorado
“Best adventure ever!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was one of the best vacations I've ever been on. Being 53 and 62 years old, we were worried we wouldn't be able to keep up or do the activities, but the guides took their time, made lots of jokes and made everyone feel comfortable. When the airport transfer was a pickup truck, I knew I was going to love it. They handed us headlamps when we arrived and took us up to our canopy tree house. Our jaws hit the floor. We went up to the roof, filled the hot tub and watched the millions of stars. Jupiter is rising now including 2 of it's moons. We loved the kayak trip, seeing lots of storks and herons; the 5 hours of cave tubing, meandering leisurely through 5 large caves, giggling over the cave rapids, and having lunch by the side of the river was the most fun thing we did. The Achun Tunichil Muknal cave is one of the most interesting caves in the world, complete with some crystal skelatons and a hundred indian pots. You get to swim across a small stream and hike in socks at the end. Ella's orchids are beyond belief, drawing butterflies and hummingbirds to them. During the morning birding trip we saw the Keel Billed Toucans, which are so colorful, and a white hummingbird with a iridescent green and maroon crest on it's head, called a fairy. The night hike was thrilling with lots of interesting insects, a long eared mouse eating a gigantic caterpillar, a tarantula being coaxed out of it's hole with a piece of grass, and the glowing eyes of a possum in a tree. The smell of roast coming from the kitchen as you return from your day's adventure was mouthwatering, all the friends you've made gathered around the bar drinking beer, sharing the day's exciting stories. Then after dinner getting ready to head back up to the hot tub on the roof at 9p when the lights go out, ready to drool over the stars all over again.

Room Tip: The canapy tree house really made the trip. Waking up in bed in the morning with the jungle just be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathleen M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I travelled with my sister and stayed for 4 nights which was just right for us. On arrival they upgraded us from the Cabana to the Bungalow which we were very grateful for. Next time I will have to try their tree-houses which look out of this world! On many of our excursions it was just the 2 of us and the guide! So we did not feel as we were part of a tour. A very personal experience. They guides are very knowledgeable an so helpful. It is hard to fault anything with this exceptional place. Since I like trying new food I would have loved to have seen more Belizian dishes. However the food is good and with many choices. Dinner is served buffet style and eaten communally on a charming covered dining-room/porch. I would come back in a heartbeat!
The staff was always very helpful and genuinely seem to like their jobs and this amazing place. They make their own cheeses, soaps and has a truly lovely garden.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ann K
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is a great spot to stay 3-4 nights. We stayed 4 nights in a treehouse and had a blast. Although, I don't think I could of done another night. It also rained quite a bit which ended up shutting down a few of the cave adventures. We made the most of it and still booked an adventure each day we were there. Tikal is a long day but amazing place and the countryside in Guatemala is beautiful. The black hole drop was a rush!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the tree houses
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

We purchased a jungle and beach package from this resort and we were very pleased with their services. The communal setting is very nice and we even had a chance to have dinner with Ian and his wife Ella.Every night, the guides talked to everyone to have adventures scheduled and I have to say that the cave tubing was my favorite. Our guide to the Mayan ruins in Guatemala made sure I was able to cross back to Belize As I only had a single entry visa since I'm only a U.S resident.
Our room was very comfortable with indoor and outdoor showers and I was able to do some schoolwork through their wireless and communal pc.
It was such a great experience and I would love to go back.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Amber1024
Ithaca, New York, United States
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Beautiful grounds, beautiful lodging, great food, great tours. It rained for four days straight (our whole stay) so we couldn't do any water tours (which is why we came in the first place) but we had a fantastic stay. The staff is top notch and obviously enjoying their work. I read other reviewers complaining about the food. I don't know if they made a change because the food was well prepared with a lot of different options. I can't imagine any way it could be improved and I love food! We found the Jungle Cabanas to be very dark inside (partially because it was so gloomy outside). I wish I had brought a camping lantern or flashlight that sat up (we had brought head lamps). We were upgraded to a tree house the last night--LOVELY. Ages of our group of 6 ranged from 9 to 72--we all had a good time! We like hiking, birding, board games and swimming. I can understand that this is not the right place for everyone but it was PERFECT for us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Stacey E
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Getting There:
Caves branch jungle lodge is an adventure lodge approximately 1.5 hours from Belize City just outside of Belmopan Belize. We started our Journey flying into Belize City and paying for transfers from Caves Branch which was prompt and there immediately when we exited the airport. On the way to Caves Branch the driver asked if we would like to stop for lunch at a restaurant on the way which was excellent and local. Upon arrival you will realize how remote this place is. Upon arrival at the lodge there is a small welcome center (which was under construction) and a small dirt/stone path up to the main lodge where the driver will cart your bags up to for check in.

Check In:
The check in process is very smooth where they sit you down, give you a run drink and go over a small amount of paperwork which includes reservation confirmations, policies, and a waiver/release form. Once these documents are signed and reviewed a small tour of the facilities are given, meals are explained and you are then free to go to your room where your bags are waiting. Worth noting is that no credit card was needed at a check in and all incidentals were settled at the end.

Rooms:
There are several classes of rooms. The lower class is the jungle cabanas which are situated right in the jungle and have no electricity, but they do have running water. You can see pictures of these on their website. The second type of room is the tree houses that are river view. The river view tree houses are the units we stayed in and have large open living rooms (screened in) with large king bed and a large bath. There is also an outdoor shower. You can see images on their website or here on trip advisor. We really liked these units as you feel like you are truly in the jungle. You hear everything (and see) from monkeys to birds to lizards. The next room class up is the canopy tree houses which are a bit larger than the river view and a bit higher. These have a lot of steps up to them where the river view units are relatively easy to get to.

Some comments on all the rooms. You are in the Jungle. You will be woken up sometimes by monkeys, birds and creatures. If it is raining your room will be humid. I believe the resort is exactly this way for a reason as it makes the guests very connected with the surroundings and makes it feel like a real adventure off the beaten path. That said we were woken up by howler monkeys in the dead of night twice and we were not exactly thrilled by this. Also in the morning when the temperatures changes everything will get a little damp feeling and all the mirrors in the room will fog over. Only 2 other small complaints. 1.) Some of the older tree house units have no electrical outlets for charging gadgets. We knew about this beforehand from trip advisor and bought sockets you could screw into a lamp socket so we could charge our cameras and phones ($2/ea). 2.) Our tree house was one of the oldest and had some minor maintenance issues that should be repaired. These were really stupid and simple things like paint scuffs and a mirror that was mounted (rigged) to the wall with the wrong hardware. My last room comment would be that the lack of modern amenities like TV and AC is planned and on purpose, but if you want these things you should look at their sister property down the road at Sleeping Giant.

Breakfast:
Being a jungle adventure lodge most guests wake up early and got to breakfast at the main lodge. All meals are served buffet, family style at long tables. Breakfast itself was served until 8:30 am and consisted of eggs, tortillas, pancakes, bacon, fruit, cereals and other buffet style items that changed daily. All of the food here was really very good for buffet style food. Most guests depart between 8:30-9:15 am to go on their tours and the resort for the most part is very quiet from 10am-2pm.

Lunch:
If you are staying at the resort to relax for the day (which we did) the bar opens at 11am and if you let them know the day before they will prepare you a lunch for around noon. If you forgot or did this last minute the bar has pay-for snacks and meals like chicken wings/etc. If you are on a tour no worries, the guides pack lunches or will arrange to stop somewhere for an included lunch in the tour price.

Dinner:
Dinner starts around 5:30/6:00 when guests come down to the bar for drinks and chips with homemade beans or salsa. During this time people are generally trying to pair up and pick tables to sit at family style with other guests they have met on their respective tours. No need to worry there is always seats and all guests we met were friendly. At 6:30 dinner will start and tables will be called in order to avoid a rush. The buffet style dinners were really great with 3-4 different entree choices, salads, soups, breads, and fruit. Each night the menu was totally different and VERY good, on some nights they also had a carving station with various meats. Throughout dinner the wait staff will get you bar drinks and nonalcoholic beverages. At the end of the meal premium after dinner cordials are offered.

Bar:
The bar staff here are AWESOME. I have to give a shout out to Jason and Dylan who made our bar time great and fun. It is worth noting that most stay packages here come with included food and a bar package. Local beer, rum and vodka are included and if I had to guess they lost out on us with that package as we drank our fair share. Bar is open 11am-9:30pm/10pm.

Adventures:
Many of the room packages here also include adventure tours which can also be bought a la carte. These tours range from “easy” to “hard” based on ability and physical needs. The guides are super knowledgeable, helpful, kind and great people to work with. We have a special shout out to Abel who helped my older parents through some tough spots in the cave tubing trip really making their time great. We chose to do both the Cave tubing (relatively easy but super fun) and the Tikal day trip. Both were extremely well run and lots of fun. Tikal is an amazing place to go in Guatemala but is a LONG day (530am-5:00pm) with over 6 hours of driving. From other guests we head the black hole drop was great (but challenging hike) and the ATM cave tour was not to be missed. Whichever tours you pick you will not be disappointed.
Wrap Up:
I think this lodge is great, especially for families with teenage+ kids or older children looking for an adventure. It would also be wonderful for the adventure minded couple. You are literally thrown into the Jungle with comfort and put into a family style eating atmosphere where travelers swap war stories from their day’s adventure. The staff is also excellent and genuine. The rooms we stayed in could have used a little bit of TLC but nothing major. For us personally I could have gone either way and in retrospect I may have gone for the cushy life a mile over at their sister property sleeping giant lodge. I however have no regrets and will never forget the monkeys dropping large pieces of fruit on our roof at 2am and howling for another hour after that.

Room Tip: If you can afford it shoot for the tree house units.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Patrick D
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at Caves Branch for a week the first week of December 2012. We had a treehouse, which was amazing! The view was beautiful. The half facing toward the trees and river was screen only, no walls. As soon as we turned off the lights, you could hear critters in the trees, which was very cool, but also a little creepy at times. You could hear crickets, frogs, birds, howler monkeys, and ??? The room and bathroom were beautiful. We loved it and were sorry to leave.

The adventures were so fun. They were difficult but not impossible. my husband is 60 and I am in my 40's and we are not in the best shape. We were sore and exausted, but neither of us would have missed a minute of it. The Lost World trip was the most difficult, but so amazing. And neither of us have ever rapelled but the Black Hole Drop was a close 2nd for us. Terrifying but wonderful.

The guides were top notch. Carlos was great. I got leg cramps and he massaged my legs until I could keep going. My husband dropped his camera in the river on the cave tubing and Esperanza dove down and got it for him. (I personally would have made him get it himself). They were all professional, knowledgeable, friendly, and made us feel safe at all times.

The food was really good. Everything was declicious, even though we got there the same day as the new chef was starting. The homemade tortillas were wonderful.

Ian and his wife were very nice and talked to all the guests at dinner and whenever he passed by. He has a great operaton and you can tell that he prides himself in running a good business with a great staff. Eugene at the front desk was also very nice and the bartenders were alwasy fun.

Our only complaint was that the lunch on the adventures was the same everyday. Eating the same lunch everyday for a week was tiresome. I can't imagine how the guides feel having it everyday week after week after week.

We would go back again for sure. We had an amazing time. And there are a couple of adventures we didn't get to go on yet.

Room Tip: The treehouses were great! But be prepared that there are no outlets in the rooms. No hairdryer or...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Sleeping Giant Lodge
#1 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
Hidden Valley Inn
Hidden Valley Inn
#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve

Been to Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!