“Felt safe & a one-of-a-kind-experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Adventure Company

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Adventure Company
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Nestled in a lush 50 thousand acre estate, Caves Branch Jungle Lodge is an escape from the hustle and bustle of the world. From the moment you step foot at the Lodge, you are immersed in the tranquility of this calm oasis. Take in your surroundings which are not sanitized from the jungle and become one with nature. You can only believe your experience once you step into our world of adventure but once you do, it will never be forgotten.
United States
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Felt safe & a one-of-a-kind-experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We did not lodge here, but went on The Black Hole drop excursion through Ian Anderson's. It is ONLY offered through them since the sinkhole is on their property. Their website gives a great overview & photos.

There is a minimum of 2 people for this excursion. My only complaint is that we had to PREPAY with a credit card -- which meant I received an international fee/charge on my credit card. I wish they would have let me pay in cash when I arrived. Nonetheless, the staff was very helpful at answering all of my many questions beforehand & Rene in particular was very prompt at responding to emails.

We stopped by Ian Anderson's a day before our trip just to confirm. I forget the guy's name who is sort of the front desk staff/first point of contact, but he offered to give us a tour of the lodge in case we wanted to stay there next time. Furthermore, he allowed us to use their swimming pool, hot tub & on-site botanical garden (which has bazillions of orchids) for *free* after our Black Hole Drop experience. How sweet!

The Black Hole Drop experience was INTENSE & very difficult as it is uphill for about 2 hours, in slick conditions. The walk back was much easier & quicker comparatively. It's so worth it though (there was a somewhat older couple with us who were never rushed). The guides allowed us to stop at our leisure, identified local flora & fauna (saw a redrump tarantula & jaguar paw prints). All in all it was wonderful... AND THATS BEFORE THE ACTUAL RAPPELLING!

Almost everyone in the group had never rappelled before, but the guides gave great instruction & an overview of the equipment so I felt very safe. Lunch consisted of make-your-own burritos but everything was tasty! Can't thank Ian Anderson's enough for their professionalism & hospitality!

Visited March 2013

Vancouver, BC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Cave tubing was awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Went on a day trip here and it far exceeded expectations. It was a great adventure! The guide was really great, and the cave felt like our own to explore. They were very well prepared, and because they limit the size of the group, there were only 4 of us. It was very unique when he pulled out a blanket and fed us a packed lunch in the caves. Tubing down was really fun. And the caves are in great condition.

Visited February 2013
Bentonville, Arkansas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Cave tubing - great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Took the cave tubing and hiking tour with my two sons, age 9 & 14. Had a great time! The water is chilly but not freezing in my opinion. I can't stand cold water and this was bearable to me (but certainly not "refreshing" as they say here). You really spend more time hiking than tubing. Good shoes are a must because you will be climbing wet, slick rocks and ledges without guard rails. The guides were great and help you through the most treacherous climbing spots. You are in the cave the entire time so if you have an issue with dark, water places- not the best tour. Lunch is served in the cave and was very good - homemade tortillas, fresh vegetables and ham. The tubing is fun but not fast-paced- its like an underground lazy river. They have a wet bag so you can bring a regular camera that you take out for certain parts. The most surprising part of the tour was the tremendous amount of Mayan history and artifacts in the cave. Enjoyed more than the Mayan ruins tour just for the history.

1 Thank JimmyRed005
Stoneham, Massachusetts
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“First time in a cave and loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband, 8 year old daughter and I did the cave tubing trip several weeks ago, I guess it is a special trip offered to people staying at Hamanasi Resort and involves both tubing and hiking in the cave. It is less strenious and more suitable for younger children. The guides were absolutely amazing! Not only they lugged our lunch into the cave, put our extra clothes in their backbacks to keep them dry, but also helped my daughter to go against the current without even being asked. The cave was much bigger than I expected. It was the 7 mile Footprint Cave but we probably travelled 3/4 of the mile into it at most (made it as far as the Monkey God scuplture). Several times we climed into higher chambers to see where Mayan rituals were performed. Climing was a little tricky because of wet shoes. The clay was pretty sippery but the guides did a good job. Lunch was delicious and much better than I expected. Overall the experience was great and I would highly recommend it. The only draw back was cold water in the river. Be prepared.

Visited January 2013
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What an amazing escape! Only one word of warning...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Amazing time at Caves Branch! Hands down the best part was the repelling adventure. Trust your guides, they will take care of you. The food, the service and the guides were all very friendly and very experienced. If you don't mind the hike, ask for cabin #25. It's at the top and the view is amazing. I would recommend paying for the transfer from the airport to Caves Branch. You can also fly Maya or Tropic Air in, depending on budget. I did the Waterfall expedition and the Repelling adventure and both were plenty for the four days in Belmopan. Both are strenuous, but not over the top. INVEST in HIKING SHOES!!! I did, and I'm glad. The food is all well prepared and very good! If you are looking for a resort, this is not it...it's an adventure trip for people who don't want to lay around and do nothing for a few days.

The trips are fairly priced. If you can wait, get a deal on Groupon or Living Social...it's the best way to do it. If you're a drinker, try to get the inclusive deal. I got the package for a room special and since I don't drink, it was perfect.

THE ONE WORD OF WARNING...
We had someone take $60 from our room. I left it in my wallet and the resort manager had warned us about locking up valuables, so in some ways I can't say I wasn't warned. What's sad is that the money would have been given out to tip everyone, and as a result, people did not get tipped who deserved it. Lock up your valuables in the safe...

Visited December 2012