My husband and I recently stayed at Pook's Hill Lodge for 2 nights before heading to the islands. Vickie, a small, strong woman with a huge smile picked us up at the Belmopan bus station. Once in Teakettle village, you turn off onto a five mile rustic road. If you have ever ridden the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland, this ride is pretty much exactly like that. So, if you are renting a car, you MUST have 4x4 to successfully negotiate this road.
When we arrived at the lodge, it felt magical. There are sounds of birds surrounding you and plants and trees with giant foliage. They bring you into the main lodge where your first drink is on the house. Vickie delivered our luggage to our room while we enjoyed our beverages and talked with Jessica. Once we finished our drinks Vicki showed us the ruins and to our room, the forest view cabana #6. Small, cute, clean, and just the cabana I was hoping to get.
After a nap from our exhausting travels, I went down to explore and the mail lodge where Vickie showed me how to get down to the meadow and subsequent trails through the jungle to the river, but it was getting too late to explore further secondary to sunset was nearing. At 6pm, is cocktail hour in the main lodge there you can get water, soda, juice, beer or mixed drink meet some of the other guests and talk about where each if from and about their adventures that day and plans for the next day. There are lanterns set up all around and lends to a very intimate atmosphere. You then head down for dinner at 7pm served buffet style in yet another lantern lit room. Lots of fresh vegetables, beans, rolls and a protein are offered. Of course completed with a desert. Breakfast is served 6-9am? It includes fresh squeezed orange juice, fruit, eggs, toast (or fry jack) and some variety of breakfast meat.
We had been informed that the previous 3 weeks had been very wet and it did have a downpouring thunder and lightning storm while we were there as well which made for a very muddy/slippery path to access the meadow and jungle trails, which I think maybe needed to be lined with stones in order to prevent slippage. There were slippery areas on the jungle trail, but I think that is definitely to be expected.
All day and all night you hear various birds. You will definitely see geckos and butterflies and too many species of birds to count. The views are breathtaking. Be warned you will get eaten alive by mosquitos without application and reapplication of repellant including underneath the areas that your clothing covers. So, wear the bracelet thing, bathe in natural repellant, spray the DEET, eat a ton of garlic prior to your vacation, or whichever of the methods you prefer, but the bites are definitely the gift that keeps on giving.
The staff are wonderful. Thank you to Vicki, Jessica (who is now taking care of baby manatees) Mayra and Hugo as well as the countless other staff members who made our stay so memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pook’s Hill is a small eco-lodge situated within the primary rainforest of Western Belize. It borders a 7000 acre reserve and the Roaring River, and is only 4 miles from the ATM cave. Eleven thatch cabanas surround an ancient Maya site and look out over the jungle canopy. Each has a private bathroom with hot water and 24 hour electricity. Pook’s Tours offers a full range of day tours to attractions in Western Belize as well as transportation services to or from any destination in Belize and Tikal in Guatemala (it is a two hour drive from Belize City). Pook’s Hill provides visitors with truly unique jungle experiences in a breathtaking natural setting and is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the treasures of Western Belize. All management and operations at Pook’s Hill are carried out according to sustainable business practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Pook's Hill Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pook`s Hill Hotel Belmopan
- Pooks Hill Hotel
- Pooks Hill Cayo
- Pook's Hill Lodge Belize/Belmopan