“We had a great stay”

Banana Bank Lodge & Jungle Horseback Adventure
south brunswick
“We had a great stay”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

My 7-year-old daughter and I visited Banana Bank in February. The weather is perfect that time of year, not too hot and not too cold. Every morning before breakfast we made the rounds around the property to say good morning to all the animals. Our first stop was Tika the jaguar. She is so beautiful and it is amazing to she her up close, though she did look like she wanted to eat us for breakfast. LOL Our favorite pet there was the pig, Juanita. She would follow us around all day. One morning we were the first to see a newborn foal (horse). It was amazing. The people at Banana Bank are wonderful. They made us feel right at home and part of their family. They will go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay. They seem to truly love working there. We did quite a lot of horseback riding and Sherman was our cowboy. He took good care of my daughter and I and listened to all our special requests. We enjoyed herding the horses in and out for the day, something we don't get to do at home. We also took a ride through the capital city of Belmopan and to Roaring Creek where we swam with the horses. It felt great sitting on the horse as it was swimming in the river. Also a unique experience. Another highlight of our stay, a friend of John and Carolyn named Sonny took us to the Ruins. This was not something I had planned to do, but I'm so glad he suggested it because it was an amazing experience, to climb to the top of the ruins. Banana Banks has a beautiful pool that my daughter and I did enjoy. And those howler monkeys howling at night sounds like something right out of Jurasic Park. Belize is truly a great trip.

Room Tip: Belize has lots of bugs. It is the jungle. So bring lots and lots of bug spray.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Terrace, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We started out out trip with Carlos, our driver, picking us up from the airport. He was super friendly and answered our questions and even volunteered information. The ride from the airport is about an hour, but we didn't care...we were in Belize! We got to the lodge and it is a working type ranch. It is not super fancy or anything but well maintained and looked after. Our kids fell in love with the big pool they have there. We were shown to our cabana ..it was HUGE! I really thought the canaba was really cool to stay in and the kids liked where their beds were. For dinner it was family style, which means that eveyone sits at a long table and talks to the other guests, I found this very cool as you could meet new people and find out what they had been upto during the day. There was a lady who had been there already for 2 weeks and she was celiac, and because I was on a gluten free diet as well, it was hard to get food that conformed with my diet restrictions and the staff were very good about having plenty of food for eveyone..and the food was really delicious! From the lodge we set up a couple of excursiona and Carlos took us to them. We visited Xunantunich the day before Prince Harry was there and we also went to Guatumala to see Tikal. It was a bit of driving ..but being from northern British Columbia...it was nothing. There are horses, a leopard,a pet pig Juanita, a monkey , peacocks and a lot of birds at this place. My kids liked going to att the different animals everyday and checking them out. Overall if I was going back to Belize ...I would go here again...Everyone was so friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabana over looking the river :)
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank coastalstorm25
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Banana Bank Lodge is so much more than just a place to stay in Belmopan -- it’s a destination in and of itself. If you have any interest in getting up close and personal with the flora and fauna of Belize, don’t miss this experience. Living on the Banana Bank grounds are Tikka 2 the jaguar, Festus the spider monkey, Juanita the free-roaming peccary, deer, an aviary, and over 70 horses. We took a horseback ride through the jungle (on Banana Bank property) and spent many happy hours in their beautiful pool…so welcome and refreshing after a hot day, and a great place to watch all the birds that seem to make Banana Bank their haven. Meals were a treat as well (served family-style and in very generous portions). The lodge runs an organic garden and much of what we ate came straight from the garden. Breakfast is included, and we highly recommend having your dinners there as well. We loved getting a chance to chat with John Carr, the owner, over meals and hearing stories about his experience in Belize. Banana Bank often hosts non-profits groups serving in a volunteer capacity in and around Belmopan. We certainly plan to return – Banana Bank was one of our highlights in Belize!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BirdRez
Clovis, New Mexico
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I came to Belize my first time about 5 years ago and I have been back multiple times! I have traveled many places before and The Banana Bank Lodge is my favorite place on this planet!! It the the most peaceful and beautiful place you could ever stay!!! The people that work there become friends! I have met some AMAZING people at this place and have had some awesome conversations at the family style meals that are served in the dining room. The views of the stars are amazing! The fireflies light up the jungle floor as you enjoy the stars at night and the jungle noise is a peaceful wakeup call each day before a great breakfast! I have gone on several horseback rides through the jungle during the day and an awesome moonlight ride! They were AWESOME! This place is the most unique and AMAZING place I have ever stayed and I will ALWAYS come back to see my friends here at The Banana Bank!! P.S. They have awesome food!

Room Tip: The Cabanas are cool!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank mware
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2012

First let me say that the staff were wonderful. The owners are very friendly and I loved their pet boar, Juanita. The rooms were quite outdated and could use a bit of maintenance - you can tell this place was absolutely amazing when it was built in the 80's but hasn't changed much since. For that reason I felt it was a bit expensive. Our bathroom had a curtain instead of a door, which I wasn't crazy about, but it was clean at least. My entire group agreed that with a little paint, maybe some new corrugated plastic for the shower roof, perhaps new bedding, Banana Bank could be incredible once more. The horseback ride we went on was fun and our guides were very knowledgable. The food is family style and was very good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie L
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Where else can you step out of your room and come face to face with a jaguar? And have a pig follow you around like a dog?

The rooms were outdated, but they served their purpose. There was an encounter with a sizable cockroach, but I think that is almost to be expected in Belize. (I stayed in a very ritzy condo later in my trip, and they also had cockroaches).

I would not recommend this hotel if you want to sleep in during your stay. The birds in their aviary are beautiful, but start to be quite noisy around sun-up.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My husband and I just got back from an 8 day vacation at Banana Bank Lodge. We bought the "all around" inclusive package. Having read a review of it being dirty and not maintained, I looked closely when we arrived. The grounds and all the buildings were very clean and well kept. We stayed in one of the suites in a main building. But we spoke with other guests who were in the cabanas and regular rooms. All good reports. The food is all homemade and served family style in the thatch-roofed dining hall. yummy. I have to eat gluten-free and they provided for me well. The staff and guests are all very friendly.
We were so busy with the daily caving, ruins and/or horseback riding that we didn't get into the nice pool very much. It too was clean and just right in temperature. Their website is outdated and doesn't show it's character and the phone number listed is incorrect as of last 3-3-2012. But be warned, there is no glitzy nightlife on the grounds. After dinner you can go on a night horseback ride, look at the sky through the 14" telescope, go to the Cantina until 8:30pm or swim. No television, just nature and really good pina coladas. It was wonderful. We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Sleeping Giant Lodge
Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Jungle Lodge
Jaguar Creek
Jaguar Creek
#2 of 12 in Belmopan

Been to Banana Bank Lodge & Jungle Horseback Adventure? Share your experiences!