“This must be the best resort in the jungles of Belize!”

Sleeping Giant Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Belmopan
San Francisco
“This must be the best resort in the jungles of Belize!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

After 3 nights at the Sleeping Giant we left feeling nolstalgic about this place. Mostly because of the staff who treated us like close friends and also because of the great energy we felt from the jungle.

The details from the beautifully landscaped grounds, to the delicious food and cocktails, to the kind and genuine nature of the staff was a real pleasure and far exceeded our expectations. We met many other couples during our trip who all agreed that this is truly an amazing place.

We would recommend Sleeping Giant to anyone who loves nature and wants to experience the jungle.

Thank you Brian and Shakira Shakira for all you did to make us feel comfortable and thank you David and Patty for creating such a fabulous resort for others to enjoy. We will be back :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stacywakefield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Granite Bay, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We arrived at the airport and were not greeted - we looked for a sign with our names. We stood for about 15 mins.(we prearranged/paid to be picked up) a very nice man approached us and asked if we needed help. Told him our story and he flagged down 3 taxis for us and made a few phone calls.
We arrived to Sleeping Giant left our luggage - and went up stairs for a drink and lunch (on the all inclusive plan) we sat down and was greeted after a few mins. The workers had a confused look on their faces - we thought we were a little over whelming a group of 10. Come to find out they had no idea we were coming. The manager came over and greeted us got some information and welcomed us and said he need to make a few calls to find out where the reservation went wrong. With all the confusion they still made use feel welcomed and had us order lunch. In about 30 mins the problem was solved but they did not have our 2 rooms - But let me tell you they handled it better than we could of wished for. The manager asked if we would not mind spending our 3 night together in the Large 2 bedroom Casita -it was amazing!They filled the frig for us with beer and soda. They went our of their way to make us feel welcomed even with the mix up.
I can not go on enough about how great the staff is- both Giovanni's were such fun and professional. Brian was also super....
A special extra was it was our son's 16th birthday and I asked if they could sing to him at breakfast and they said give them a little time and they would bake him a cake! I wish I knew how to down load picture - it made the day!

A must do is the cave tube trip. This is something you would never be allowed to do in the states! You felt like it was like a Disney ride - so perfect and unbelievable views.

The river next to the lodge was also a great way to cool off at the end of a hot and eventful day.
The people in Belize are amazing - so friendly and accommodating. A family trip to not be forgotten!

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom Casita is beautiful and fits 2 families of 5 perfectly if you do not mind sharing the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I did a jungle and beach package with Sleeping Giant and Almond Beach Resort. I could not have picked a better package. It was an amazing value and completely worth the journey! Sleeping Giant is a beautiful resort and the staff is so amazing. Emerson is so very nice and helpful, Giovanni makes great drinks and takes great care of his guests, Shakira is great and very friendly, Byran is also very sweet and helpful. Cleveland makes some of the best food we had ever had! The whole staff is welcoming and makes you feel right at home. Sleeping Giant is a gem and a cut above the rest. They go out of their way to give you the best most intimate experience. The resort is beatiful and they help to schedule you the best activities. We did the waterfall cave and the ATM cave. Both we amazing once in a lifetime experiences. Everything and everyone down to the drivers and tour guides were perfect. I would highly recommend adding transportation from the airport to sleeping giant. Belize is a truly wonderful place to visit and I cant wait to go back someday. They were building the pool at sleeping giant when we were there so we will have to go back to test it out! I dont think I will ever have such an amazing vacation ever again! It is amazing that the resort books everything for you and you get driven everywhere! We LOVED Sleeping Giant and hope you choose the visit them too! Almond Beach was also amazing, a bigger resort and not as intimate but a completely different experience. The only way to visit Belize and do it right it to do jungle and beach, that way you experience it all! Thanks again to the staff at Sleeping Giant, you made it perfect!
Tip: Dont leave any lights on, not even the front porch when you go to dinner, you will come back to a room full of little flying bugs! It is the junlge after all! We learned our lesson the first night!

Room Tip: Book a Spanish Casita!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Victoria T
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

First let me start with the booking. Nuri was amazing. She helped me book my trip and whenever I had a question about the lodge, an excursion, or adding something to our package she was beyond helpful and helped ease my mind with a few concerns I had.

We had set up through the lodge to be picked up at the airport and on the way to the lodge to stop at the baboon sanctuary. Darrell picked us up and he was very kind and shared lots of information about Belize with us.

The Baboon Sanctuary was a nice experience. We learned a lot about conservation and education efforts. We were led right to a family of holwer monkeys (they call the baboons) in a tree. Two or three came down and actually touched our shoulders. One kept trying to take my sons ball cap off his head.

We continued the drive to Sleeping Giant lodge and once we hit the hummingbird Highway I was in awe at how beautiful the jungle of Belize was. You see the sleeping giant in the mountain as you approach the entrance to the lodge and once you get down the driveway you are welcomed by stunning beauty. The grounds of this lodge are truly beautiful and well taken care of. We were greeted by Shakira and Giovanni the Chef. We were give fruit punch (we don't drink) and fresh made shrimp cevice. They were both delicious. We relaxed with our refreshments as our bags were brought to our room.

The Casita was nice. It was the rainy season and they did have a lot of rain before we got there. There was a damp smell to the room but we quickly settled in and stopped noticing it. I was a bit jealous that we didn't get one of the new Casita's as they have their own outdoor tubs but we had a great location and it was a beautiful view of the river and gardens. I truly can't complain. I will tell you that the bed was one of the most comfortable beds we have slept in while traveling. We had great night sleeps.

The food was good. Breakfast was my favorite meal. The dinners were good. My husband and son had order steaks the first night and they ordered them medium rare and they came well done. The next night when they ordered steaks they asked again for medium rare and and explained that the last time they were well done. The kitchen did a great and they came out perfect the second time. I really can't complain about the food.

The service was great. Shakira was our waitress for almost every single meal and she was a delight. We enjoyed getting to know her and seeing her each morning and evening. Brian was also great. She had a wonderful smile and a contagious laugh. Giovanni the bartender was great as well. He did a super job with all the smoothies and fruit drinks we ordered. He was great.

We did take a short little swim in the river on day. It was a refreshing was to cool off from the heat. We did take out the kayaks one day too but that was not a success story. I am still not sure how one is supposed to kayak the river. We followed the current and hit a few quick moving patches of water and wondered how we were supposed to get back up the river (not a good after thought). We paddled for maybe 10 mins when we decided that we really shouldn't go any further because the fast moving parts of the river were not going to be easy to back up. We got out of the kayaks and had to walk along the rivers edge as my husband pulled the kayaks. At one point the kids and I had to get back into the Kayak's and have my husband pull us because we could find good ground to walk on. The water was up to his chest and was pulling 2 kayaks with us in it to get us to calmer water. He loved the experience and the workout but I wouldn't recommend taking out a kayak without some much better instruction as to how one is supposed to get back. We were also told after that if you go down far enough the river does get quite rough.

We did 3 excursions while we were there. Our first was the Black Hole Drop. They aren't kidding when they tell you that it is not an easy trip. It kicked my butt. They tell you to take a minimum of 2 large bottles of water, 3 if you drink a lot. I took two and and wished I had taken 4. It was hot and the hike alone is a lot of work. You are climbing up the jungle. It is about an hour and half hike in before the drop. It is beautiful and Darrell (the one who picked us up from the airport) was our main guide for the trip. He stopped to let us rest and also stopped to tell us all about the many planets, animals, and insects that call the jungle home. Once we got to the location of the drop my kids were terrified and didn't want to go. I was terrified and didn't want to go but I put on my game face for my kids. Darrell did a great job of instructing me and helping me to focus on him and not the fact that I was hanging over a cliff. I can proudly say I did it. My kids tried but they just couldn't overcome their fears and Darrell was good with them and walked them down to a meeting point were we had lunch before our hour and half hike back out of the jungle.
The second excursion was the cave tubing and ziplining. We enjoyed the ride on the back of a tractor to get to the tubing. Tubing was fun but it was too hard to stay together as a group and so I was never near the guides and didn't get any information at all. But it was still a great experience and some of the spots we passed were beautiful. The ziplining was a bit disappointing. It a series of about 5 lines and it was pretty quick. The only reason I was glad it was quick was because of the mosquitos. The lunch that was served was so delicious.
The thrid excursion was the trip the Mayan ruins Xanatunich. Arnold was our guide and he was great. I can get a little car sick and I was able to sit in the front with him. It allowed me talk and get to know him a little better. It was a hot day but it was a great trip. Arnold was very knowledgeable and we learned about the Mayan history. The short boat ride across the river was fun and we got to shop in the little markets for some trinkets to bring home. We ate a great restaurant for lunch where the food was great and the prices even better.

Sleeping Giant Lodge is a great place to stay. I know they are building more Casita's and a swimming pool. I hope they don't loose the charm that they have. It was a great experience.

The only negatives were the first two nights we were approached at dinner and asked what excursions we wanted to do the next day. The 3rd night we weren't but we were staying at the lodge and relaxing. The 4th day we had spoken to Emerson in the morning about going to Xanantunich and how I get car sick and he said it was no problem he would let them know and have sit in the front. Nobody came around at dinner asking about the excursions so stopped by Emerson's office just to make sure it was all set. I'm glad we did because it wasn't. I don't know if he didn't remember or what but thankfully there was room and we were able to go. It also wasn't clear how we were to go about getting laundry done, how do we get up to the gazebo, how do we get Kayak's. It would be great if they had a handout of some sort to give to guests upon arrival that outlined the procedure for everything including what excursions were available when, meal times, and who is in charge of what. This would have made things just a bit smoother and wouldn't have had to go searching for answers.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the laundry service. The cost was $10 a load and we had 2 loads done during our stay. The laundry was returned to us in the laundry bags and nothing was folded. It was like it was taken right out of the dryer and shoved into a bag. Everything was all wrinkled. There were several things that had mud on them from some of our excursions and they were stained when we got them back. We left Sleeping Giant to spend a 5 days in San Pedro. The housekeeper where we stayed did our laundry for the same price but she folded our clothes and she was able to get the mud stains out that the housekeeping at Sleeping Giant couldn't. It truly was one of the one things that I didn't think was in keeping with the overall feel and atmosphere of the lodge.

If we were to go back to the Jungle of Belize we would stay at Sleeping Giant again. It is a beautiful paradise that is filled with great people who we enjoyed getting to know. Go, enjoy, and make some incredible memories.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Myflowergirls2
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days.

The Lodge itself is beautiful. The food was very good and delicious. The staff was amazing (Bryan, Giovanni and Shakira were so helpful and friendly). Would stay here again. We had a Garden View room. They were currently building a swimming pool when we stayed and I would love to stay there again when its finished. You can rent kayaks for free.

We did two excursions through the Lodge; the Cave Tubing and Zipline (at Ian's Caves Branch) and ATM. The Cave Tubing and Zipline was good but the guide wasn't very helpful. He was always ahead of us and didn't really teach or guide us at all. The ATM was AMAZING. The guide (Patrick) was phenomenal.

Tip: Bring bug stray and After Bite. Lots of it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The lodge sits on the edge of the rainforest so you hear the howler monkeys but you may not see them. It's a great jumping-off place to do day trips to Mayan ruins and other adventures. The drivers and guides are exceptional. The staff at the lodge likewise and they end up becoming friends before your departure. Chef Cleveland gave me some cooking tips via email after we were back in Canada! The grounds have pathways and a running brook to enjoy, but also a guided climb to a gazebo with a wondrous view or an inflatable raft you can take out on the river any time. Final note: I don't ever expect to see a bathroom as gorgeous as the one we had. The sink was made of stone and the shower looked out on a glassed-in enclosure, making you feel you are one with your surroundings.

Room Tip: Our room was below the kitchen so there was some noise above our heads early in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at the Lodge for 3 nights and what an absolutely wonderful stay we had! The staff (Emerson, Mgr; Bryan, Giovanni, Shakira, Arlin) was top-notch, very friendly, wonderfully accommodating, and made us feel so welcome, that we are looking forward to our next stay there. Beautiful grounds, very well maintained, and our casita/cottage was very comfortable. We were able to do a few day excursions (Blue Hole National Park, Cahal Pech in San Ignacio, the Friday marketplace in Belmopan, and a wonderful on-site hike to the Lodge's Gazebo!) and were treated to a presentation (thank you, Erik L.) by artist Henri Dunster, who spent 2 years in Belize ('72-'74) sketching the Mayan ruins in the area around San Ignacio, as well as other ruins in Belize, Mexico and Guatemala. All in all, a most wonderful vacation spot, with a 5 star stay in the rainforest, a genuinely wonderful staff and a wonderful chance to be treated to more of the beauty, that is Belize.

Room Tip: Internet service is spotty at best but I didn't mind; it was nice get the break!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Gaia Riverlodge
#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve
Pook's Hill Lodge
Pook's Hill Lodge
#2 of 4 in Belmopan

Been to Sleeping Giant Lodge? Share your experiences!