“Amazing time at The Sleeping Giant in Belize!”

Sleeping Giant Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Belmopan
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I love traveling and when we came upon an amazing opportunity to spend a week in Belize we took it. The Sleeping Giant is a 5 star resort! The landscape is breathtaking, almost "postcard-esque". The staff was very friendly and the food was some of the best I have had anywhere. Since we stayed there near the end of October, which is considered their off season, we had nearly no occupants staying with us at the hotel. Pretty much had the place to ourselves! And by the way end of October is a great time to visit. We were a little afraid it would be raining the whole time, but in fact we had no rain at all. Beautiful! Our bedroom was gorgeous with a waterfall shower and new towel animals made every day for us. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and look forward to visiting again soon in the future.

Room Tip: Take the kayaks down the river!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley G

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Sleeping Giant Lodge is the perfect getaway for anyone traveling to Belize. It is off the beaten trail, per say, but the ride from the airport was easy and full of beautiful scenery. While at the lodge, there are plenty of amenities to keep one occupied, including kayaking, bike rides, volleyball, and (my favorite) the bar. If (or more, when) you and your group feels like branching out and going on a cave tubing adventure or horseback riding or whatever you want to do, you can be there in no time and Sleeping Giant will insure your adventure is set up properly.
The estate itself is meticulously maintained, we couldn't find a single thing to complain about! More can be said of the amazing wildlife, culture, and beauty that surrounds Sleeping Giant, but one must explore it themselves to really get a good feel!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Spanish Casitas, which are small studio-like houses secluded from the main l...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ClaytronS
Reviewed February 18, 2013

After getting married this past July, my husband and I chose to honeymoon in Belize. We originally thought to stay at the larger Ian Anderson's Treehouses location, but we stumbled upon Sleeping Giant because it's a sister site. We had an absolutely amazing time. I'm not too much of an outdoorsy gal, but the resort offered the perfect combination of being in the wild but having all the creature comforts. The views were breathtaking, our accomdations were lovely and private, the food was tasty (and I'm a picky eater and had no trouble loving their food), and the staff was friendly and made anything we wanted possible. We also wanted a fair amount of relaxing but also some adventure on our trip. The tie-in with Ian's allowed us to pick two excursions offered by the other resort. We chose the cave tubing (fun, but just know it is NOT a lazy river ride) and Mayan ruins tour. Both were great, and coming back to a quiet, friendly place was perfect. Couldn't recommend this more, and we intend on returning another time or two.

Room Tip: We stayed in a casa near the lodge. It was the perfect location because it was still private but not...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel T
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My 10yr old daughter and myself were guest at the Sleeping Giant for four nights. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff are among the kindest, warmest, most outgoing you will ever find. We were taken care of from the moment we stepped foot on the property until we left.
We enjoyed cave tubing, horseback riding, Myan ruins, zip lining all arranged through the hotel. The food was wonderful. The grounds breath taking and well kept.
I would definitely recommend staying here if planing a trip to Belize. The warmth and charm of the Sleeping Giant is something not to be missed.
This was our first trip to Belize and I can't say enough about this small island with a huge heart!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracy V
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I took a group of 28 college students / community members to Sleeping Giant Lodge in January. During one of the hikes on the Medicinal plant trail we came across a rather large grasshopper that I took several photos of. When we came back to Illinois I sent the photos to the Illinois Natural History Survey. They indicated this was the first confirmed sighting of this Genus of grasshopper in Belize. See the article posted on http://ricochetscience.com/ for more information.

Talk about an incredible opportunity for students and community members alike.

Room Tip: For quite choose the river house or casitas. To be closer to the action choose the garden view room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Though this location is a bit isolated(I'd recommend an all inclusive for sure) the grounds are impeccable, the views amazing of the surrounding mountains and the staff goes out of their way to keep guests happy and welcome.
While the food was average, I'd go all inclusive as it is a long ways to any restaurants (the driveway alone is a hike) Much respect to Swift, Andy and the rest of the wait staff. Swift took us on a hike to the lookout tower AFTER HIS WORK SHIFT and is clearly excited by the natural resources Belize offers, pointing out Toucans etc along the way. We stayed in a garden view flat but the cabanas looked amazing. Andy is happy to mix up the finest drinks late into the night...THESE GUYS ARE DEDICATED AND DESERVE A RAISE!!! The bar has a "backpackers" feel and we shared a few late nights laughing...and of course drinking... with other guests...shout out to the cheeseheads from WI from Boston! The woman at the front desk keeps on top of every detail of your trip. Housekeeping provides the best service I've seen. The room:bathroom is very nice with sliding glass door leading outside...nothing like showering to the sound of toucans in the Belize sun. We preferred this property to the actual Caves Branch down the road which is a bit more rustic, though you will be shuttled there for activities which were unforgettable (cavetubing, seeing Mayan ruins, etc.) The beds were memory foam and a dream to sleep on, especially after our prior hotel which felt like a pile of springs in my back.

Room Tip: We were in the room directly below the kitchen which could be a bit noisy but only during meal hours...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tiredtravel
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I spent the week after Thanksgiving in Belize. Our first leg of the trip was a stay at the Sleeping Giant Lodge in what I would say is central Belize, about an hour and a half from Belize City.
The location is in the jungle but the accommodations were not what you would have expected to find there.
The bedroom was large, as was the bathroom, with its well appointed glass shower with a strong stream of water you wouldn't expect given the location. The sinks were made of some type of carved stone sanded down. The other main thing that was in the room which I really appreciated was a free 5 gallon jug of spring water - great for someone who likes to keep hydrated like me.
The lodge is next to a river up a 1/2 mile rocky dirt road.
Once we arrived we were greeted with a local drink made with SourSop, which was a sweet, coconut flavored drink that became my favorite cocktail for the three nights we were there.
The restaurant was great, and I highly recommend you go with the meal plan they offer since there is nothing for miles to get food. The menu is local flair - while not exotic, they had special dishes with a Belizean twist.
The staff at the lodge was very friendly with special mention for one of the bartenders, Abner, who created the special cocktail I mentioned that I couldn't get enough of.
The tour the lodge setup for us to see the ruins was great - a local guide proud of his country with lots of information to share.
One thing to note - if you intend to drive in Belize, rent a jeep or something similar. A car would bottom out on some roads. The Sleeping Giant offers transfers between the hotel and the airport and other hotels they own but the cost is quite high and this doesn't allow you to wander on your own if you spend several days in the jungle location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MAC_LA1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmopan
Blancaneaux Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
Mariposa Jungle Lodge
#1 of 1 in San Antonio
Amber Sunset Jungle Resort

Been to Sleeping Giant Lodge? Share your experiences!