“Best place to stay in Belmopan”
Review of Villa San Juan

Villa San Juan
Ranked #7 of 17 Belmopan B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at Villa San Juan for a week in May in conjunction with a World Bank mission trip. The rooms are very nice. They do a superb breakfast. I didn't try the pool, but one person in our group enjoyed it immensely. It's a bit out of the way, but still walkable to the center of town. The owners couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jeff W

Reviewed April 14, 2012

In April 2012, we were two couples staying in Belmopan for a few days. Villa San Juan was just what we wanted for an excellent and private bed and breakfast experience. The second floor is set up for guests with three private bedroom/baths, a living room and kitchen to share. Omar and Ellen are excellent hosts and cooked a hot breakfast daily, providing a dessert in the evening. This was our favorite place to stay on our vacation in Belize.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tonellisue
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed at Villa San Juan for 2 nights - March 22 and 23, 2012. Omar and Ellen are such gracious hosts! The villa is located in a quiet, residential neighborhood just a few blocks from the U.S. Embassy. A small grocery store is located 2 blocks away. The villa is set up with 3 guest rooms, an open living/dining area, well-stocked large kitchen with smaller dining area, large upper deck, and plenty of space in the pool area. Omar is a retired banker turned entrepeneur. He and Ellen own a hardware/construction company/Western Union store, along with the villa. They were both so caring and interested in visiting with us, and very helpful in locating areas we wanted to visit. Ellen's breakfasts were delightful, and being greeted with fresh soursop juice was just what we needed after a day of traveling from the states!

Located just a few minutes off the Hummingbird Hwy, it was a great place to base our daytrips from!

The only cons were firm beds (not a con to my husband!), and low water pressure in the shower. The rooms were spotlessly clean, as were the communal areas. We would highly recommend a restful stay here! Thanks again, Omar and Ellen, for a delightful start to our visit to Belize!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paulapurebred
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The place is beautiful, very well maintained, in a very good neighbourhood.
The beds are comfortable and this is finally a place offering fluffy pillows.
The charme of the place are the owners who will take very well care of you.
We were offered fresh juice and cake upon arrival and the self-made breakfast with fresh fruit was incredible!

We enjoyed our stay very much and were sorry that it was only very short. We highly resommend this place for your stay and thank the owners so much for their very friendly and caring service!

You will enjoy your stay! It is also a great location for a small group as it offers a large living room and swimming pool.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diana T
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed for one night at Villa San Juan on November 5th, 2011.We really enjoyed our stay. It was clean, modern and very comfortable. Omar made us feel right at home and took the time to answer many of our questions we had about the area.We had a wonderful homemade breakfast with fresh fruit. We would definitely stay at Villa San Juan again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather M
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I traveled with four friends to Belize for a two week vacation, covering most major Belize tourist areas. We used TripAdvisor extensively in choosing our hotels, mostly budget-type accommodations such as Treetops (Caye Caulker), Casa Blanca (San Ignacio), Blue Tang Inn (Ambergris Caye) and Sea View Suites (Placencia). By and large, the accommodations were as advertised in the TripAdvisor reviews - clean, simple and of good value.

However, I felt compelled to write a review about Villa San Juan because our stay far surpassed my expectations in a way that wasn't true of the other places (though the other places were still fine!). Villa San Juan was simply the most enjoyable place I stayed at during my Belize vacation. The facilities were not only clean, but they were pretty much brand new (only opened in March 2011) and of much higher quality than the other budget accommodations we encountered. There is a large living room, new kitchen and a large dining table that is perfect if you're traveling with friends and looking to book multiple rooms (there are 4 in total). The rooms themselves are spacious and the beds are comfortable (sheets were high quality). Bathrooms are large, clean, with nice fittings and small details like nice towels that more in-line with what you might expect from nicer hotels. The outdoor patio and swimming were also very nice though we didn't have a chance to use them during our stay.

Villa San Juan is a bed-and-breakfast run by a retired couple, Omar and Ellen. They are among the nicest people we met in Belize and they've clearly spent a lot of time, energy and money on setting up their B&B. Simply put, Omar and Ellen went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay and while other Belize hotel proprietors were nice and polite, I felt they often treated us more like tourists just passing through than as guests (probably not unreasonable for budget hotels though). During our stay, Ellen brought us delicious homemade desserts and juice in the early evening. In the morning, she made us a fresh breakfast of potatoes, eggs, sausage and cheese with juices and coffee. There was also plenty of fresh fruit available. Since there were no other guests during our stay, it felt like we had the entire house to ourselves and were being served a private breakfast. During the evening, our group stayed up and sat around the dining table enjoying wine after a long day of cave tubing and swimming. Our stay felt almost too good to be true and truly surpassed my expectations.

Now the downside is that Villa San Juan is located in Belmopan City, Belize's capital, which is in between Belize City and San Igancio. Getting to the B&B itself requires a short drive off the Western Highway and though the house is not hard to find, I can see it being a hassle for those without rentals cars. For those with rental cars, I think Villa San Juan is really a no-brainer if you're looking for a quiet, comfortable B&B experience. Belmopan is still well within driving distance of all the major sites like cave tubing, ATM cave, etc., but is less of a tourist stop itself (vs. San Ignacio) so there are more housing bargains like Villa San Juan. While we found San Ignacio to be livelier with more restaurants, the housing options in and around the city appear to be either very budget hotels or very high-end resorts. Relative to everywhere else, Villa San Juan was great value at its price point. Can't say enough about this place!

Room Tip: We stayed in Serenidad and Esperanza. Serenidad has an extra large bathroom with two sinks.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank D C
Reviewed December 19, 2011

My husband and I had to stay over in Belmopan and stayed at the Villa San Juan. It was a very pleasant experience. I slept like a baby, I was pleasantly surprised to see the elegant and tasteful decor of the Bed and Breakfast. This was my first time staying in a Bed and Breakfast and was not sure I would be comfortable but since it was only one night I gave it a try. It was so homey and pleasant I wanted to stay longer and I will certainly stay again if I ever find myself needing to stay over in Belmopan and definately recommend it hightly, cannot say enough. Omar and Ellen were the warmest, friendliest people and very very helpful. Thanks for everything Ellen and Omar.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple