I just returned from an amazing trip to Belize - one of my favorite countries in the world.
Being a savvy traveler is fun and I like to roam around a lot to see everything and meet interesting people - usually landing places with no reservations. Finding perfect places and arriving unannounced doesn't always work (and I know reservations are always a good idea)
But in the spirit of spontaneity I landed in Belmopan Belize - the country's capital - and based on information provided my Moon Travel Handbooks I showed up Twin Palms and discovered a diamond!
It was Sunday, a day most Belizeans hold for family and fun, and after several attempts to find anyone on the gorgeous property that surrounds the family home and the Inn - a wonderful Spanish gent from Barcelona appeared on a bike and after assuming he was the owner - he announced he was a guest and that the owners had gone on a day trip to the coast. Where i had just come from. But based on my perusal of the place it appeared not many people were staying there - so Guido (pronounced Gedo) handed me a card with the owners cell information and said I should call to confirm. But before I could, 2 lovely young Belizeans bounced in from the driveway and asked if my friend and I were were "The Walkers". (it was hard not to say yes, thinking this could be a great way snag what might be the last room in this amazing setting!) But being an honest and kind person I informed them we were not, but we were really hoping to get a room without having a reservation. This request set in motion a wonderful and hilarious 4-hour journey of not knowing if we could get a room - but being treated like kings regardless of it we did. The sweet young couple told us to chill and relax by the pool and have a Belikin (the Official Beer of Belize) until they could reach the owners and confirm a room. 2 beers later we decided it might be a good idea to have a plan B as the afternoon ticked on and contact with the owners who were out on the islands could not be achieved. We informed the couple of our plan and they pleaded with us to stay - or come back in a bit - because they believed they could accommodate us. After a short drive-by of a few other B&Bs and Inns in Belmopan - we realized we were not going to stay any other place - even if we had to sleep in the pool - Twin Palms was THE place to be.
So we went directly back and the couple was so relieved to see us again - like they had lost children - and had managed to confirm room #3 was ours for the night!
Nestled off the pool in the lovely gardens is 4 guest rooms and one suite that deliver every amenity you can imagine - complete with lounges, tables, gardens and a movie screen that sits along side of the pool. Yep - they show movies at night while guests lounge outside - or even in the pool for the screenings! (makes for soggy popcorn - but who cares!) What a concept.
The owners - Anna & Tim - finally arrived and introduced themselves, apologizing they weren't here to greet us or get us a room immediately. What? Apologize?
We spend the day laying by their pool and sipping Belizean beer, for free. Apology not needed.
We ultimately loved the place so much we snagged 2 nights at Twin Palms and enjoyed a wonderful time getting to know the hosts and devouring amazing breakfasts prepared on sight featuring fresh fruits, coffee, juices, pastries, and Signature Belizean vegetable omelets and crisp sausages. You are welcomed into Tim and Anna's home like family and dine with them in the warm and wonderful home they share with their 2 adult children.
We came as strangers and left as friends and family. I don't believe they could do anything better to make this a dynamic and delectable destination for travelers looking for an amazing boutique Inn experience.
Run, don't walk to Twin Palms Inn - but please, make a reservation.
Christopher Kulovitz - Spirited Traveler/Belizean Believer
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn at Twin Palms is located on a private estate with secured,ample parking just off the Hummingbird Highway in Belmopan,actually 0.5 Miles from downtown. Upon entering the Hummingbird Highway on your way into Belmopan,look for Uno Gas Station and our entrance is right across the street. Look for a small Twin Palms sign. We have 12 rooms,a gym and 2 swimming pools surrounded by tropical fruit trees and flowering gardens that attract a variety of birds. We are within 6 minutes of Government Offices,University of Belize and embassies. We are within 30 minutes of caving tubing, the ATM Cave, the Belize Zoo and the Blue Hole National Park and approximately 60 miles from the International Airport. All rooms are furnished with air condition, ceiling fan, hot & cold water, iron & ironing board, cell phone, free wireless internet, flat screen cable television, small refrigerator, coffee pot, full sized bed, clothes rack, desk and chair. There are two Small Private Villas completely furnished with a kitchenette with stove, refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. It also has a small dining table with chairs, a small couch, sitting chair, footstool and television. The room is furnished with a queen sized bed, closet, iron & ironing board, flat screen television, hair dryer and a private bathroom with hot & cold water. They also has free wireless internet. They have a private front porch. These villas are ideal for guests staying long term from a few weeks to a few months. A full Tropical Breakfast is served daily and is included in room rate. Cancellation or changes in reservations must be made 72 hours prior to arrival or a fee of three days will be charged.Check in 2:00 p.M. Check out 11:00 a.M. We offer airport pick up. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Twin Palms Bed And Breakfast
- Twin Palms Hotel Belmopan
- The Inn At Twin Palms Belize/Belmopan