“100% Must Do!!”

and up
Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave Tour and Picnic
Ranked #1 of 73 things to do in Cayo
More attraction details
Owner description: This remote cave is filled with relics left over from the Mayans.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This trip was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. We were here on our honeymoon and we decided from reading the reviews this place was definitely on the list of to-do's. We went from Blancaneaux Lodge with Theodor. Our guide was Luis, who was the best tour guide ever. He took his time and you could tell he was really passionate about his job and the Mayan culture. He knew a lot about the vegetation and the cave. Our driver said he was one of the best too and he definitely proved Theodor correct. I will admit I was a little scared at first, but once we got in I couldn't wait to see what was around the next corner. It was just visually and historically out of this world. My husband and I both agreed, this was hands down one of the coolest things we have ever done. Don't miss it!!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Hike to the entrance. Ford a river a few times. Swim into the cave. Hike the cave for a few hours. Climb up rock formations. No guardrails, no waivers, no warning signs, just, "Please don't step on the priceless Mayan artifacts and sacrificial skeletons." Oh, stalactites, stalagmites, shimmering crystallized walls, etc., etc., etc. I can't believe they let an idiot like me in there. "What? I get to swim in there and experience the ancient wonders of your civilization? In this giant, wild cave? Seriously? Well, OK, then. If you think that's a good idea." I cannot express adequately how incredible it was. Just go here. Go. Seriously, go.

1  Thank LAllis0n
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I did a tour with Carlos in the ATM cave with a small group of only 4. It was a fantastic trip and I can't imagine a better guide. Along the hike we learned so much about the flora and fauna even going so far as to eat nuts and ants and things. Aside from the Mayan artifacts and remains in the cave, the system itself is really neat. With a small capable group, Carlos even led us on some alternate routes through really neat features. The level of adventure here is nominal, but it's still a must-do activity when in Belize.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Where else can you see amazing rock formations, a variety of Mayan artifacts and sacrificial human skeletons without a glass or anything else separating you from the artifacts! It is a full-day event with a 1.5 drive, 1 hour hike through the jungle that includes crossing 3 rivers (knee-to-waist deep) and a few hour hike through the cave (which also sometimes requires hiking through the water). Make sure to bring shoes that you can hike in the water in, some water and a change of clothes for the ride back. Also, even though you are not allowed to bring a camera into the cave, you should bring it if you want to take a few pictures before and after. We went in January and I was a little bit cold, that was my only complaint. Still an amazing experience though! Out of our 9-day trip, including visiting Tikal in Guatemala and snorkeling near Caye Caulker, this was our favorite adventure!

Our guide Carlos (carlos caveguide@yahoo .com) made the experience particularly memorable. He has been doing this for over 15 years and has trained some of the other guides. He is very knowledgeable, passionate and has a great sense of humor. He told us about various medicinal plants in the jungle, about the cave and the Mayans, very interesting.

ATM tour is a must if you are going to Belize. And make sure to go with Carlos "The Cave Man," he is great!

1  Thank Yanochka27
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was one of the best things we did in Belize, and thanks to Carlos Panti (the Caveman) for arranging it. We emailed him a month or so before and he replied punctually with all the tour details. We were picked up on time from Lower Dover and had only my wife and I and one other person which was perfect. Renan, the guy he provided as our guide was very experienced and had obviously been in the cave many times prior, and gave us a great, informative tour. Was a little annoyed knowing that cameras are not allowed anymore but to have flashes continually going off would have ruined the tour - we would still have liked to take one to the entry of the cave as would make great pictures when entering and leaving the cave. A great day out!