“Carlos is the Best”

and up
Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave from San Ignacio
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in Cayo
More attraction details
Owner description: This remote cave is filled with relics left over from the Mayans.
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I did a tour with Carlos in the ATM cave with a small group of only 4. It was a fantastic trip and I can't imagine a better guide. Along the hike we learned so much about the flora and fauna even going so far as to eat nuts and ants and things. Aside from the Mayan artifacts and remains in the cave, the system itself is really neat. With a small capable group, Carlos even led us on some alternate routes through really neat features. The level of adventure here is nominal, but it's still a must-do activity when in Belize.

All reviews
in 19 reviews
"sharp rocks"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Where else can you see amazing rock formations, a variety of Mayan artifacts and sacrificial human skeletons without a glass or anything else separating you from the artifacts! It is a full-day event with a 1.5 drive, 1 hour hike through the jungle that includes crossing 3 rivers (knee-to-waist deep) and a few hour hike through the cave (which also sometimes requires hiking through the water). Make sure to bring shoes that you can hike in the water in, some water and a change of clothes for the ride back. Also, even though you are not allowed to bring a camera into the cave, you should bring it if you want to take a few pictures before and after. We went in January and I was a little bit cold, that was my only complaint. Still an amazing experience though! Out of our 9-day trip, including visiting Tikal in Guatemala and snorkeling near Caye Caulker, this was our favorite adventure!

Our guide Carlos (carlos caveguide@yahoo .com) made the experience particularly memorable. He has been doing this for over 15 years and has trained some of the other guides. He is very knowledgeable, passionate and has a great sense of humor. He told us about various medicinal plants in the jungle, about the cave and the Mayans, very interesting.

ATM tour is a must if you are going to Belize. And make sure to go with Carlos "The Cave Man," he is great!

1  Thank Yanochka27
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was one of the best things we did in Belize, and thanks to Carlos Panti (the Caveman) for arranging it. We emailed him a month or so before and he replied punctually with all the tour details. We were picked up on time from Lower Dover and had only my wife and I and one other person which was perfect. Renan, the guy he provided as our guide was very experienced and had obviously been in the cave many times prior, and gave us a great, informative tour. Was a little annoyed knowing that cameras are not allowed anymore but to have flashes continually going off would have ruined the tour - we would still have liked to take one to the entry of the cave as would make great pictures when entering and leaving the cave. A great day out!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you go to Belize, you must find a good guide and tour this cave. Yes, you must be in good enough shape to swim a little, to do a little rock climbing, and to balance on rocks walking in the water. The stalactites and stalagmites (some carved by the Mayans to look like the heads of gods) are phenomenal, the images in your head of the Mayans bringing their sacrificial humans through the caves with torches and incense fill the cave with a deep sense of history, of a culture very different from any you've known, and definitely some spookiness as you try to imagine how it must have been as they tried to appease their gods with sacrificial blood and pottery. Our group agreed this is one of the most profound experiences we've ever had and we definitely came away with a deeper understanding of the Mayan culture, not to mention images of the cave that will last a lifetime.