“The most wonderful stay in the most wonderful place”

Amber Sunset Jungle Resort
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Cayo
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“The most wonderful stay in the most wonderful place”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I wanted to arrange something very special for our honeymoon. My wife was expecting Hawaii and I surprised her with Belize. I decided to split our trip between Caye Caulker and the rainforest. It's a little hard to pick a place confidently from a few pictures but I figured if the shots on here were anything to go by and every review was 5 stars we weren't going to be disappointed.

And, wow, we weren't. This is by far the best hotel experience I have ever had. I've been to 50 countries, stayed in some of the best, most famous hotels in the world, but this was special.

From the very outset, when I emailed Giovanni asking him about availability I felt like this was a place that was absolutely determined to make our stay perfect. My emails were replied to immediately, every question answered fully. And when I asked how to get to the resort, Giovanni offered to pick us up from Belmopan because he was there. And of course he was bang on time.

We were greeted as we arrived by Asad, who really is the very best hotel employee I have ever come across in all my travels. He'd prepared a fruit juice cocktail for us and then showed us around the resort. It was really everything I had hoped it was. Carved out of the jungle, birds everywhere squawking and swooping down into the trees.

Asad showed us our lodge (we stayed in the Garifuna with the swing bed) and I was blown away. Everything had been thought through, it was really perfect. My wife announced we would be staying forever as she ran around taking photos because nobody at home would believe her.

We went down to try and catch the sunset, but the clouds stopped that happening so we grabbed a cocktail (apparently 'the best drink I have ever had' according to my wife) and then went and changed for dinner. My wife is gluten-free, I'm vegetarian and the chef did a tremendous job. Same again the second night. Really, amazing food. Breakfast was outstanding, I asked if I could get a banana once and Asad brought me and my wife a plate of fruit like something out of a 5* restaurant.

Really, this was the best hotel experience I have ever had. I've stayed in some amazing places, places that charge the earth for the service they deliver. But this was the first place that genuinely wanted to do it, and it wasn't one member of staff, it was everyone we met. In some places they will do anything you ask because you are paying enough. Here, they did everything we didn't ask, one step ahead thinking what will make our stay even more memorable.

On our last morning, we had an enormous thunderstorm. The rain was lashing down as it sometimes does at night. Sometime around 5.30am Asad brought us an umbrella so we wouldn't get wet on our walk down to breakfast. We didn't ask him too, we didn't really even think about it. But he did. It's really an amazing place.

Room Tip: You have to take the Garifuna room if it is free - a king size bed hammock. Seriously the coolest be...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Giovanni P, General Manager at Amber Sunset Jungle Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for this AWESOME review Lee. I am very happy you and Jamie had a wonderful honeymoon in Belize. It was a pleasure to meet you both and I am looking forward to seeing you again soon! Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 4 nights at Amber Sunset. Since it is off-season, for a few of those nights we were the only guests. Like everyone else here, we loved the resort's setting, design, food, and friendly young staff. I would describe it as simple and luxurious: it has everything you need to have a very comfortable and relaxing stay in a beautiful jungle setting, and nothing more. The cabins are gorgeously designed with dark wood, and are all very private, spread out up a hill reached by long wooden walkways. Cabins are elevated among the trees with open air screened walls.... the overall effect is that of staying in a luxury tree house. Ours had a swinging king sized rope bed, a hammock in the room, a huge stone shower and an open air tub. The level of hospitality and service is extraordinary.... Giovanni and his small staff are very gracious and friendly, and they all make you feel most welcome. Their pride in the resort and in the beauty of their country is very evident.
A note of caution: you should understand that if you choose to stay here, you will be sleeping under a mosquito net, and may get woken up by birds chirping early in the morning. You'll be walking to/from your cabin (including up and down a significant number of stairs) on dark wooden paths at night with flashlights and (sometimes) umbrellas, dealing with a few bugs in your room, and eating what you are served (although the cooks welcome your input ahead of time). You will have to drive about 10 miles to San Ignacio for a good sized town. Nightlife involves a drink by the pool and watching the stars. There is wifi only in the public areas. To get up the resort's dirt road from the highway pretty much requires a 4-wheel drive vehicle. If you are willing to deal with all this, you'll be rewarded with a wonderful, peaceful visit to this beautiful spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Giovanni P, General Manager at Amber Sunset Jungle Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for this great review! We are happy you enjoyed staying with us. It was definitely a pleasure to offer you our Belizean hospitality. We plan to significantly upgrade the infrastructure on our road in the coming days so that it is easier to get in and out. It was unfortunate you guys arrived after a thunderstorm passed through. Thank you very much for your honesty and advice. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I travelled to Belize and spent a night at Amber Sunset Jungle resort. It is secluded up in the middle of the jungle, with absolutely beautiful villas, gorgeous views and some very friendly staff! The food was delicious, the pool was cooling and falling asleep and waking up to the sounds of the jungle was so relaxing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John Y
Thank you for this great review! I am happy you had a great time staying with us. I look forward to seeing you again soon!
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Visited briefly after leaving San Ignacio. Knew immediately that this was the perfect place to take my friends and their girls from Kentucky. When they arrived and we drove up to Amber Sunset they could not stop raving about how awesome their tree house was. In addition to the lovely accommodations and stating the staff were incredible. Just perfect.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Giovanni P, General Manager at Amber Sunset Jungle Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. We are happy you found our treehouse cabanas excellent. We hope to see you all again very soon!
san diego
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This review is long overdue! Our family of 5 (parents, 2 teens and an infant) stayed here in April and have thought so many times about our stay and the wonderful people we got to know and love. They felt like family by the time we left! We stayed in one of the family treehouses. It was beautifully done in some of the most beautiful woodwork. It was spotless and well equipped with necessities and water. Through Giovanni, we arranged fun things to do everyday. With their guide, Luis, we went to Tikal one day, river rafting and zip lining the next. They even arranged transport to our next destination down south. The staff was delightful! My daughter was almost a year at the time and loved Asad! They brought out special meals for her and even walked around with her while we ate peacefully in the outdoor dining room. Giovanni helped with anything we needed and the food was so yummy and tailor-made for my husbands and my vegetarian palate. We cannot say enough about the delightful staff. This was the family favorite of all the places we stayed around Belize!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank kdcsandiego
Thank you for this fantastic review Kelly. It was truly our pleasure to ensure your Belize vacation was one you will remember forever. The staff still talks about Kai's cute mustache pacifier and how well she took to Asad. Take care and we hope to see you all again real soon.
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Amber Sunset was our last stop at the end of a hectic, interesting 3 week vacation thru Central America. This choice turned out to be perfectly timed! Wonderfully appointed "jungle" rooms up high, gave us the unwinding we were looking for. Our hosts saw to our every need - good food, good conversation in this serene location. We simply were enamoured by it all! We wish this family team Good luck with the expansion and may your guests enjoy Amber as much as we did!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sivi N
Thank you for the good review Sivi. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. Thanks for the well wishes and I hope to see you again soon.
Port of Spain
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We arrived in Belize and were immediately on our way to Amber Sunset. The drive to the resort was pleasant especially at that time of the afternoon just before sunset. The actual arrival to Amber was special; a secluded drive up and then these impressive "hut like" structures appear - the jungle rooms! Spacious, well laid out and completely wooden mixed with modern conveniences.and the "piece de resistance" the Swing bed"! It took some getting used to but was comfortable and fun. Good food and exceptional service made our stay truly memorable.
Ya reach wid Amber!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review! It was our pleasure to ensure you had a wonderful time in Belize. I look forward to your next visit.