Martz Farm Treehouses and Cabanas Ltd.
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Black Rock Lodge(Black Rock)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Gaia Riverlodge(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Benque Resort and Spa(Benque Viejo del Carmen)
  • Restaurant
Mariposa Jungle Lodge(San Antonio)
View Hotel
Blancaneaux Lodge(Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve)
  • Pool
Ka'ana Resort(San Ignacio)
View Hotel
All reviewspontoon boatmartinez familyhorseback ridehowler monkeystree houseunforgettable experiencethe riverbenque viejohighlight of our tripday tripwonderful home cooked mealswonderful familyoff the beaten pathancient mayabring water shoestrees and plantshandmade soaps
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed in the Cabana which had a private bathroom with shower and toilet. The hosts, Joe and Miriam Martinez were most friendly and interesting people.
Their kids when in screaming mode could be a bit much for me since I have a low screaming-tolerance level to begin with, but it was very easy to get away from them. I'm sure lots of people would just think they are cute.
Evening meals were family-style and very tasty. Breakfast was available whenever we got up. We tended to get up early and go to bed early because there is no electric power and no light and no evening entertainment. Too dark even to read at night.
The howler monkeys made a lot of noise, but I slept right through most of their performances.
We went on a mule and horse ride out to look at the remote parts of the farm which was as rewarding in its views of the countryside as it was scary for a non-equestrian type such as I. It is an experience I do not care to repeat.
I was afraid there would be lots of bugs, since it was deep in the jungle, but was pleasantly surprised to encounter very few.
There were several visits from friends and relatives of the hosts who were pleasant and interesting people.
At night there is no light pollution, so the sky is just full of stars. It is really impressive.

Room Tip: Take the cabana if you want indoor plumbing, screens on windows & lockable door.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Went horseback riding there and loved it. There's nothing like exploring the jungle on a horse's back. And it's even better with a guide who shares a lot of knowledge about the jungle. We didn't stay overnight on the farm, but I absolutely would. Everything is clean and seems very authentic, the entire family is very nice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We had an amazing experience at the Martz Farm. Our room was great, the environment was wonderful and the food was fabulous. Our children learned to eat true Belizian food, and we loved everything. The environment was the best part, just being truly out in the jungle was all we could have asked for. Miriam and Joe are great hosts and Joe is a great guide. We loved every minute of the week we had there.

Room Tip: Treehouse or Cabin 1
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Joe and Miriam are second to none with their hospitality. The meals were fantastic and Joe is extremely knowledgeable about his environment. I smile when I think about the chickens, the donkey, the monkeys howling and the toucans overhead. Could we have asked for more? We miss it already and returning is a must!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2011

A slow, meandering drive along a bumpy mountain road lead us deep into the jungle and to an enchanting farm known as "Martz Farm Treehouses and Cabanas." There my girlfriend and I were warmly greeted by Jose Martinez, his wife Miriam, along with several other of their friends and family.
The farm itself is wildly charming with open air cabanas donning palm thatched roofs and timber frames. Most of the usable, flat land is cleared of vegetation for practical use but the entire farm is wrapped on all sides by rolling mountains and dense jungle. In the distance the howling of monkeys and the chirping of birds act as a sure reminder of the wildness of this place.
Dinner was cooked in an earthen oven and was eaten by candle light but not as a means to create some false romanticism but instead was just how they ate. After dinner, we swapped stories with our hosts by moonlight and delighted in the deafening silence of nature around us.
Our night was spent among treetops in a treehouse cabana handbuilt by Jose himself. The roaring of a waterfall beneath us gently rocked us to sleep and in the morning a short climb down a ladder led to the base of the falls and a refreshing pool of water to bathe in.
An early morning hike through the misty jungle was led by a family friend Pablo. He pointed out all sorts of wildlife including my personal favorite, the toucan. After our hike a hearty breakfast was had, a few short goodbyes, and on to Che Chem Hah Cave for a tour back in time 2,500 years and into the realm of the Mayan god Xibalba.

Not if, but when I go back I will definitely plan on spending more time here including taking Jose up on his offer to go horseback riding. I just wish we had more time to stay in this truly mesmerizing retreat.

For more on Che Chem Ha:

(Note: You pass the road to Che Chem Hah to get to and from Martz Farm from San Ignacio.)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple