“I will never book Coral Breeze /Bannister Island again!”
Review of Coral Breeze Tours

Coral Breeze Tours
Ranked #13 of 78 Tours in Belize City
West Palm Beach, FL
“I will never book Coral Breeze /Bannister Island again!”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My husband, child, and I booked the Bannister Island tour. When we got to the tour office the man at the desk told us that there were not enough people booked on the tour so we would have to wait until people passing by would go on the trip. We were asked to wait at a local restaurant and finally, two hours after the original time, the tour left for Bannister Island. This was very stressful because we were not sure we would go on the tour and we resented the time wasted. If we had booked through another company we would have enjoyed the two hours wasted at the restaurant. Once we got to Bannister Island, it was beautiful!! My husband went on the snorkeling tour (guided) and he said it was the best snorkeling experience he ever had. He loved the guide. I would love to go to Bannister Island again in July 2014 )our next cruise, but Coral Breeze is the only tour company (as far as I could find) that goes there. As much as I want to go back, I will not book because I don't want to experience the stress that I experienced.

Visited July 2013
Mark M, Front Office Manager at Coral Breeze Tours, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
This review seems very suspicious. Gemini1111 claims to have booked a tour to Bannister Island with our company almost a year ago in July 2013. At the time, we were not offering a tour to Bannister Island (and we're not offering one now). Moreover, we don't have a tour office with a desk. Unfortunately, this review seems to be another case in which Trip Advisor has become the unwitting platform for impugning the reputation of a hard-working independent tour operator.

Tampa, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Snorkle”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Coral Breeze tours is an excellent snorkel adventure. It is not associated with any cruise line but operated by an independent. They pick you at the dock and walk you to the boat. Then you travel about 30-40 minutes to Caye Caulker Island. Here you place an order for lunch and then off to the coral reefs. You will make three strops all excellent snorkel. Plus the last stop is stop is shark/Ray alley. Here you can swim with sting rays and nurse sharks. Then back to the island for lunch and then back to the cruise ship. Excellent guides, fun and interesting Capain and crew. Strongly recommend this tour.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank hparker194
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Misrepresentation”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We booked a tour using Coral Breeze specifically because it was advertised that we would be snorkeling at Hol Chan marine reserve. Upon arriving at the dock from our cruise, we met up with a lady who drove us to where our tour boat was docked. My husband asked her more than once to confirm that we were going to Hol Chan. While she never outright lied to us, she never did provide affirmation that our destination was Hol Chan. We were clustered in with the rest of a tour whose destination was "Coral Gardens." A bit of a discussion went on between the female and several of the male tour guides in their native language. Once again, we asked if we were going to Hol Chan. The female's reply was that we were going to Coral Gardens - which did not confirm or deny our initial request. My husband interjected that he had spent quite some time in Belize and snorkeled at Hol Chan in the past and he was well aware of the fact that Coral Gardens was NOT the same as Hol Chan. After some hemming and hawing, the female telephoned a man named Mark, who then got on the phone with my husband. Mark offered to allow us to go on the Coral Gardens tour with the rest of the group and to refund $55 of our money. This conversation lasted several minutes and ended with Mark changing his mind about the partial refund. My husband confronted him about this and once again, he agreed to a partial refund.
With that being said, there are quite a few negatives with this company:
1. Not fully disclosing our destination.
2. Misrepresentation of what we purchased.
3. Unwilling to accept responsibility for what may ultimately have been an honest mistake, but one that was their fault. I have written documentation via email of what was represented as our purchase and can fully support this statement.

Now, the positives:
Our guides, Javier and two other gentleman (one was Hispanic, the other was a black gentleman) were very, very nice and very kind. The boat we took was fiberglass with bench seating wrapped around it. The boat could have been in better condition, but it truly did not bother us - it got us from A to B in one piece, and that's all that mattered to us. After a 45 minute trip, we stopped at Caye Caulker for a bathroom break and to submit our lunch orders. Javier offered to let us turn in an order as well. At this point - it's important to note that everyone else had PREVIOUSLY submitted their orders through their excursion reservation. We did not do this because it was NOT an option for us. It was NOT an option for us because guess what? This was NOT the excursion we had paid for or that was sold to us.
Moving on...we then got back into the boat and we were taken to the Coral Gardens site. Our guides told us this was on the very edge of Hol Chan marine reserve. We were broken into two groups. I do not wish ill-will on any of our guides, so I will refrain from specifying which one we had, but it's important to note there were two small children in my group. Our guide snorkeled way ahead of some of us less-experienced snorkelers, which included me, the two children, and their mother and father. Eventually, the five of us made it back to the boat on our own. It would have been wiser for the guides to divide our groups by experience level. The very small area of reef we saw was mediocre. Many broken or dead coral, very few fish.

After that, we had a short ride to Shark Ray Alley. We had a short time to swim with the rays and nurse sharks. This was very nice and the sharks were not shy for us. The rays were very eager and curious. The water here was waist-chest deep. There was also an abundance of live conch.

Once that was done, we went back to Caye Caulker for lunch at the Tropical Paradise restaurant. My husband and I had the traditional meal of rice and beans, served with stewed chicken and cole slaw. It was delicious and very inexpensive at $12USD for both of us, which included soft drinks (in glass bottles! yum!).

After eating, we had a short time to look around the island, which is very beautiful and peaceful. We even met two adorable island dogs - a little black chihuahua looking mutt and a mangy looking miniature poodle. Both were very sweet, and if I could have, I would have taken them home.

Our guides then showed us where the island had been split into two from a hurricane and showed us another protected area with a species of fish I don't recall. The guides threw bait into the water and soon, dozens of these large fish were flopping around for us to see.

Positives:
1. Very nice, personable guides. I had a lot of questions about their language, culture, and customs and they were very sweet about answering them.
2. Fresh pineapple, along with salsa and chips, were provided. The pineapple was sweet like candy and absolutely delicious. There was also plenty of purified water in bags, which was a novelty to this American.
3. Lovely time at Shark Ray Alley.
4. Delicious local food.
5. Company refunded part of our money with minimal arguing.
6. The guides also stopped in the water when they saw a fellow fisherman who had caught a barracuda. It was interesting to see.
7. Despite not truly going to Hol Chan marine reserve, it was a fun and interesting day for me. For my husband, it was disappointing, as the snorkeling was not what he has experienced in previous trips to Belize.

I have read many of these reviews and a lot of the negative comments relate to the country of Belize and its people. I find this cruel and disheartening. I thorougly enjoyed Belize and found its people to be warm, friendly, and caring. At no point was anyone rude to me and I never felt unsafe in the areas we were.

I do think Coral Breeze put forth a decent amount of effort to make us happy, but all of it could have been avoided had their been more disclosure on their part. I would use their company again for similar tours, but would advise checking elsewhere if you specifically want to see Hol Chan. Thank you and God bless. I wish you much success in your business and I look forward to visiting Belize again.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank April V
Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best time of the entire cruise!”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We couldn't have asked for a better experience. Javier, Ivar, and the rest of the crew took care of our every need. Swimming with sharks and sting rays was awesome. The highlight was seeing a moray eel. The native food was delicious, too. Highly recommend this tour company!!!

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Kphilli9
Indianapolis, Indiana
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“I appreciate their communications”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

This is going to be an odd review. We had booked a snorkeling excursion for a cruise stop with Coral Breeze. Two weeks before we were to be in port I received an e-mail that our tour had to be cancelled (we were the only ones booked.) Mark from Coral Breeze offered some alternatives which worked out very well for us.

I appreciate the timely notification so we were able to make other arrangements. I could see a less dependable operator trying to wait things out and then leaving us high and dry at the last minute. That service alone deserves a rewarding review.

Visited October 2013