“Dangerous! Bad service, terrible equipment, and dangerious conditions!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coral Breeze Tours

Coral Breeze Tours
Ranked #12 of 77 Tours in Belize City
NJ
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Dangerous! Bad service, terrible equipment, and dangerious conditions!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

While visiting Belize from our Carnival cruise, we booked a tour with Coral Breeze. We went to bannister island and snorkeling.

First the staff that met us were NOT friendly.

Then the boat that we thought we were going to get on did not look safe at all. They also had no way to get on the boat besides putting a little wooden picnic table on the dock and then they assist you in hopping from the table until the front tip of the boat! Um....we were told this tour was suitable for any age. They expected us to hop onto this boat with a 1 year old baby, a 6 year old, and 8 year old, and two sets of 70+ year old grandparents. No. We totally chickened out. Then to our surprise this wasn't our boat, this was the boat that went to the shark reef. So we said "good the next boat should be better". NOPE! It was a smaller speed type boat. Still we had to jump from the pier to the boat. At this point we did not want to take this tour. We had heard from the cruise that the waters were a big rough that day because of "Isaac" encrouching and that you should be a strong swimmer in order to do the water activities. We talked the the staff who assured us that it was safe and that the cruises have to say that due to insurance purposes. We eventually hopped on the boat and set off.

It was about a 15 minute boat ride to barrister island. The island itself was ok. We were told by other patrons to not go in the water because there were a bunch of jelly fish stingings earlier. GREAT. Now what are we going to do on this island that is tiny and closed off from anything else? The sand was hard, not at all soft for the kids to play in. We started asking some people that were in the water and they said they hadn't seen any jelly fish in a while so we decided to give it a shot. The water was not clear or the pretty turquoise blue you would expect. But we figured it was due to Isaac. It was calm enough and the kids really enjoyed the floating mats. Then it was our time to go snorkeling.

We decided that the grandparents, infant, and 6 year old should stay behind at the island due to the rougher waters (that the staff still said they were not rough and completey safe). First you have to jump in thew water off the side of the boat. I've been snorkeling a bunch of times and never have had to do this. There were always steps or a ladder. Anyway we jumped in and while there was a lot of life in the water it wasn't at all colorful. The tour guide (mr bigs) was not friendly and not very helpful. Usually on snorkeing tours your guides will offer to take pictures of you with your gear on or while you are in the water. They'll take your camera and take pictures of you under the water. This guy...nada. He was really concerned about finding things to bring to us and was not paying attention to the water conditions. We popped our heads up at one point and the waves were HUGE, HUGE! We were also very far away from the rickety boat. My sil and i were scared at this point. But Mr. Bigs was oblivlious even after our hand signals. WE should NOT Have been out in the water in those conditions.

This tour was expensive for what we got.

If i'm ever on a cruise to Belize again i will stay on the ship! Do not go on this tour. They will encourage you to go out in weather that is dangerous in boats that are dangerous. Find a different tour company or skip Belize altogether!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank VCgirl925

Cornelius, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic Fun with Fish and Friends!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

I was there a week ago today and can't wait to go back! We were on the Carnival Dream, July 7-14 and I knew that I wanted to snorkel while in Belize. Belize fell on my 60th birthday and I wanted to do something special. Coral Breeze and Hammerhead provided the experience of a lifetime! This tour was easy to research (internet and TripAdvisor) and easy to book and pay (sent a check ahead of time to their US office). Their directions via email answered all my questions. Their meeting spot was easy to find at the Tourism Village. We waited about a half hour. Heni and James provided information about Belize, reef, safety and many other topics as we traveled. A quick stop on Caye Caulker, then off to the marine reserve. Once in the water, I did not know where to look first! There were tons of fish, beautiful coral and a ray following along the way! Don't forget your underwater camera. James and Heni dove down to show us eels, starfish and so many amazing types of fish. A school of red snapper followed me around. Next, off to shark/ray alley. Lots of both swimming around with you-just amazing! We got to touch a shark and a ray. We were in the water about 45 minutes at each stop. Next back to beautiful Caye Caulker for a bathroom break and lunch. I bought the traditional lunch with the package. But because Heni said that lobster season just started, I ordered additional lobster kabobs and a fresh mango colada. Yummy! We walked the main street after lunch. Before you know it, it was time to go. The water was so tourquise and beautiful. We were back in plenty of time to shop and get in line for the tender back to the ship. This is an amazing experience and I would recommend it any adult who is a good swimmer. I liked that they make us wear life jackets around our waist. This is a long snorkel so I was grateful for the extra boost. Please do not take young children on this tour. You slide off a boat, a mile out in the ocean, with sharks and sting rays. Some kids are freaked out about using a snorkel. Poor James did double duty as he acted as guide and lifeguard for some little girl whose adults chose poorly for her! I like how a guide follows in the back to insure no one wanders away. As you have read on other posts, I did get kicked a couple of times and I kicked some other people too. I bumped into others as well. I don't consider this a big deal-just what can happen floating around out there. We were able to make friends with a great family from Akron, Ohio. I also feel like Heni and James were friends as well, due to their hospitality and concern. Thank you for a spectacular birthday!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank redmagnolia9417
Cleveland, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Frightening Tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We booked our excursion online to snorkel cay caulker and then go on to shark/sting ray alley. When our ship arrived in port, the waters were churning and rough. Trip out to first snorkel sight was full- meaning 26 people and 3 guides. Every seat on the small boat was full. Ride to the site was rough and very hot inside the boat. My youngest daughter (10 years) had difficulty managing her gear with the rough waters. We were pulled by the current into the reef more than once. I did not feel safe. I felt like we could easily get pulled away from the group without anyone being aware. It felt like there were way too many people on the tour. Poor snorkeling with rough waters made for poor visibility. When we got back into the boat, my daughter verbalized what I had been thinking during the time we were in the water. She stated that she felt she was in danger was not getting out for the second stop. At the second stop, we were able to peer into the water and see several sharks as well as many sting rays. I coaxed her back in, telling her that she may not be able to experience this again any time soon. She went back into the water briefly and was able to touch the animals. At home, we talk about the experience as one we will not forget, but the memories that scared both of us.

Visited July 2012
San Diego, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Best Excursion By Far!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

We went on a 7 day Caribbean Cruise and decided to book with Coral Breeze based on reviews from Cruise Critic. We were not disappointed!! We originally booked the snorkeling and manatee watch but no one else booked so Coral Breeze contacted us a few days before our cruise and offered us the shark/ray alley at no extra charge even though it's a more expensive excursion.

The boat ride was fun and not overly crowded (about 10 people). We spotted dolphins in water so our driver stopped to let us get pictures of them. The snorkeling was great! The water was shallow and calm. We saw stingrays, eels, tons of fish and beautiful coral. My daughter (age 7) became tired about half way through so one of the guides had her hold on to his lifejacket strap so he could pull her around. He swam fast with her and pointed out lobsters and other interesting creatures. She thought it was great!

The shark/ray alley was AMAZING!! Seeing and touching the sharks and rays was an incredible experience I will never forget. I think everyone should do this at least once in their lives.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank LuvToTravel789
Brunswick, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great time, Good Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

My family & I found Coral Breeze Tours on TA and decided to book them for our maiden trip to Belize City. Hannie was a great guide. They showed us eel, beautiful coral, and lots of fish. They were very safety-minded with a guide in front, in the middle and at the rear of our group of about 8 for snorkeling. Flotation belts were given on request. We LOVED the sharks and sting ray alley. My young kids and grandparents stayed back on Caye Caulker while my husband and I went snorkeling, a good move for us. Keep in mind the water can be pretty choppy, so I rate this a medium-level adventure. Their prices are reasonable, and I highly recommend them. My husband keeps talking about going back!

Visited December 2011