“Wish we stayed longer!”

Ranked #4 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Wish we stayed longer!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

A GEM to experience! Our main stay was at the Caves Branch but we decided to stay at Orchid Garden Eco-Village on our last night in Belize to be closer to the airport -- and not staying longer was our only regret. Our stay here was some of the most memorable parts of my trip to Belize, even in the short time. We learned some fun history, toured the property and learned about plants, flowers, wildlife in the area and even visited their small museum. We felt very welcome and so well taken care of! The hospitality was wonderful and the food like everyone says, is delicious!. After meeting the owner, Christine, it was clear why this place is so special. We will surely be returning here for a longer stay!

PROS:
Great for Couples, Families, solo
A/C in room
Delicious meals
Knowledgeable, hospitable staff
Fantastic value
Easy transportation available

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was a belated graduation gift for my daughter, who could travel during her Spring Break, to have an amazing experience with her first stamp in her passport! I did alot of research, and Orchid Garden had such great reviews I had to make our reservations here! It was even better than I expected! The graciousness and kindness of the staff was wonderful, Christine always had a smile, and had everything set up so well. Alvaro and Alfredo were our drivers primarily, and they were awesome, and we were the only ones on the tours, so everything felt completely personalized! Alvaro helped me buy an assortment of CD's of the local music, which I had heard before coming to Belize, and I loved...so to find more of the music only found here was so amazing! And the food...wow! We are both vegetarians, and the variety was so delicious! Belize has the most amazing papayas in the world...they are sweet, mild, and don't have the usual "funky" smell. My daughter finally ate papayas and loved them! When we came home, I went shopping at Trader Joe's, and right by the counter they had a giant mound of papayas from Belize!! I was so excited!! I've been eating papayas every day since I came back home! Belize also has their own hot sauce that tastes like no other...Marie Sharp's hot sauce...made with carrots, tomatoes, onions, and their habaneros! I have never been one to like hot sauce, but I am using this stuff nearly every day! I love the feel of everything here...the people are awesome...we felt safe everywhere we went...and all the tours were exceptional and Christine and Jason plan everything out so well for you...relaxing, beautiful, and fun!!! I can't wait to come back next year!!

Room Tip: No worries...all rooms are great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Paris, Kentucky
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect but wanted a "natural" place to stay while visiting sites on the mainland. Orchid Garden met & exceeded our expectations!
The staff and owners are very friendly & helpful; the food is out-of-the-world delicious & healthy; we had transportation provided everywhere - from airport pick up to water taxi to island to airport again. Awesome experience with just enough modern conveniences. Cost is reasonable as well.
We highly recommend this lodge to anyone planning a trip to Belize.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lab G
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A vacation never to be forgotten! Wow, super service. If you want to feel very special, head to Orchid Garden! After being ill for 8 months & a future unknown, I had a bucket list of activities to tick off. Well, the team at the Orchid not only accomodated the excursions, they have companies that accomodated my disabilities. The onsite team were awesome, from cooks/servers, Debbie, Maria, Blanco to the drivers, Alvarro, Pedro, alias animal spotter & super tour guide Alfredo to the owner Christine who saw to our every requirement with support of husband Jason. Christine actually baked a cake for my husbands birthday celebration. What more could you ask for on a vacation? A competitive price, yep, they had that too. Go for it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank marie d
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Everything about this place is great. They will pick you up from the hotel, transport you to your different excursions and make sure everything on your trip is going well. The owners are really great people and make an effort to try to "run" into you in between your busy schedule. Day trip activities are pretty far away but well worth it. I recommend the cave tubing, cave hiking, zip lines and taking the prop plane over to the islands. I also recommend the wildlife tour, they were able to get two monkeys to come on the boat! Everything was fun and laid back. If you have a chance, have the driver stop at one of the orange stands and try their special oranges! trust me. All the food they serve at the place (included in stay), is grown in their back yard. The gals there are great, they will teach you creole if you want! No internet except for one computer in the activities room, which was great. Who goes on vacation to check their facebook status anyways? I went as a solo traveler, aside from a pregnant spider who decided to give "birth" inside my room (can't really blame, my room was awesome! and we were in the middle of a garden), everything was safe and there was enough to do for the 5 days I was there. There's no TV in the rooms, but if you forget a book they have a library that has physics and chemistry textbooks from the 1960s, I thought it was amusing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LynetteTsc
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My friend and I picked Orchid Garden based on it's Trip Advisor rating and we were not disappointed! Christine and Jason coordinated our entire trip which began with pick up service at the airport. Our stay at Orchid Garden was complete with breakfast and dinner each day. The meals were delicious and I always felt stuffed by the end! The room we stayed in was air conditioned with two queen beds and a private bathroom. The grounds at Orchid Garden are beautiful and a tour was provided explaining the trees and wildlife found in and around Belize. The staff at Orchid Garden was courteous and respectful and all of my requests were met with a smile.

Christine and Jason arranged each of our tours for us. We were transported to and from each destination and our driver Alfredo would explain points of interest on the way. Each of our tour guides were phenomenal! I feel like Jason and Christine have used the feedback from their guests and tour companies to ensure that each guest of Orchid Garden has the very best experience on each tour they have. Each day trip had lunch included.

I have only good things to say about our stay at Orchid Garden and the wonderful service and hospitality we received. I have told all of my friends and family that if they are looking to go to Belize they should pick Orchid Garden. This vacation was a complete success and I attribute it all to Jason and Christine's amazing planning. This trip was completely stress free and I would definitely stay at Orchid Garden again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kendra1224
Calgary
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The location is half an hour outside Belize City, just off the Western Highway and the Burrell Boom Road - as such access to Orange Walk and Lamanai to the north, ATM, San Ignacio, and Tikal to the west, and to the south via the Hummingbird Highway are all at hand.

We had our own vehicle and preferred to explore ourselves, so did not participate in any tours put together by Orchid Garden, although we did meet Alfredo who gave us a tour of the property and I can see how he would be a great tour guide.

The descriptions of the rooms and grounds are adequately covered in other reviews. I would reinforce that Christine and staff were very attentive and helpful. The included breakfasts and dinners were delicious - so good that I would recommend that more time be allowed to enjoy them (the 4 course dinners were consistently completed in 45 minutes). The forum for the meals was to our liking as the guests all sat at a common table and this facilitated good conversation and experience sharing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 26 in Belize City
Villa Boscardi
Villa Boscardi
#1 of 26 in Belize City

Been to Orchid Garden Eco-Village Belize? Share your experiences!