“Wasn't as good as the reviews make it out to be”
Review of Belcove Hotel

Belcove Hotel
Ranked #7 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night, and it was not very restful. There is a restaurant down the street that plays blaring music all night long, and there was very little sound insulation to our room (which was streetside). Not really a great way to start our vacation. We didn't do much exploring of Belize City, and though I'm sure there actually is a lot to do if you spend time getting to know the area, we found little to do in the vicinity of the hotel. I wouldn't say I felt particularly safe here, nor did we feel like hanging out on the patios. Overall, I don't see the draw of this place. That being said, it was clean, it was inexpensive, and I would agree with whoever said it that an air-conditioning is a must. And yes, the pick-up from the airport is a plus.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 14, 2009

I stayed there for a single night. Room was small but clean, staff friendly and willing to help.restaurant next door offers local meals filling and reasonably priced.($4-8 US).
Be aware that often prices quoted are in BZ $ which are 2 to1 $US dollars , and the locals will take advantage if they can. Confusing I belive meant to be so.
For supplies of any type try Brodies which is a short 5 min walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Belize City is not exactly a travel destination in itself, but certainly the jumping off point to some incredible spots. I would recommend that if you are on a budget, a stay here would be a good choice. The staff aren't extra friendly, but the airport pick-up girls were great.

Even though the city might make you paranoid, the Belcove makes you feel safe and will provide you with a great balcony overlooking the river. I'm not very familiar with the city, but most people suggest not leaving the hotel at night. Given the city's vibe, I highly recommend sticking around until morning. I would recommend choosing the A/C room, even it is a few dollars more. I stayed again later in a much less cozy room, but it did the trick. Coffee in the morning is a bonus and a trip to the street vendors across from the Water Taxi Terminal will provide you with a decent breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2009

we spend two nights in this small hotel. the location was great ,just beside the swing bridge and close to the watertaxi services to take us to caye caulker. the room was clean and we had a/c which was a plus in the humid belizean weather. the staff at the hotel was very friendly and we really recommend this hotel.
on the other hand, belize city is not a very tourist-oriented city. the streets are not very pleasant to walk and there isn't much to do anyway in belize city. my advice: skip belize city. if you have to choose a hotel, this is a great choice and not very expensive.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2009

For $40 US we were kinda dissapointed. NO A/C. It had a TV, but we were told that if we used it they would charge us extra. It is located right by the bus and water taxi station in a semi-rough part of town. Very convenient if that is your intention as we had an early bus to Tikal to catch. Other than that, the room old, stuff, and hot. The window opened to a wall..

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AustinMattS
Reviewed April 17, 2009

This place is great ! , i have stayed here several times for a week or two at a time.
I use this hotel as a base, leave all my luggage in my room, [never had so much as a penny go missing ] i walk the 20 seconds it takes to the Water Taxi Terminal, and catch a boat to differant places for day trips. The Hotel will arrange tours anywhere.
I felt very safe staying there, the desk is open 24hrs a day, and beer is available 24/7 from the front desk , at $1.50 u.s. each.
I spend many an evening sitting on the back deck overlooking the river, haveing a few cold ones.
Great Place!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2009

this was my first trip to belize. the staff at the hotel was really friendly. Norma arranged several trips for me and drove me on one of them. The guy who worked nights was really friendly and we chatted several evenings out on the first floor patio.

The neighborhood is a little sketchy, but i always felt safe in the hotel. the room was clean. i stayed in one of the budget rooms with a private bath. i went there knowing there would be no AC or tv, and i was fine with that. the only complaint i had about the room was the shower head was about chest high. made it a little hard to wash my hair, but it was manageable.

it would definitely stay here again if i were traveling to belize city.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo