“Thieves at Belcove Hotel”
Review of Belcove Hotel

and 1 more site!
Belcove Hotel
Ranked #9 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Mexico City, Mexico
“Thieves at Belcove Hotel”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Thieves in the Belcove Hotel in Belize City.
Dear Trip advisor, We regret to say that your recommended hotel in Belize, the Belcove Hotel proved to have some very wicked employees. When we arrived we saw your recommendation on the wall and we found the guys on the desk very pleasant. We went for two nights to Guatemala leaving our luggage including our Ipad in the wardrobe having faith in the staff there. Imagine our shock on our return to find that our Ipad had been taken. No one else excepting the employees could have entered the room. The people on the desk had no suggestions. They called the police and we went along with them to the police station to make a statement. The police said also that they would interview the hotel staff. The administration of the hotel apologized for our loss at the same time told us off because we did not put our valuables in their safe but they never told us that they had a safe neither did they tell us when we expressed our plan of going to Guatemala for 36 hours. At the end the managers gave us a letter of apology plus about 20% of the price of the Ipad which we should not have accepted.

Room Tip: Watch for your valuables in the room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Arturo R
Belcove Hotel B, Front Office Manager at Belcove Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
In response to this review we at Belcove Hotel would like to inform you, as well as future guests, that yes according to the guests there iPad had gone missing. But to our knowledge the very pleasant elderly couple had gone to the Cayes for the day and not Tikal for the weekend. The office staff held onto the keys until their arrival Monday morning. They informed us shortly after that there iPad had gone missing our staff went and checked the room along with them to make sure that it wasn’t misplaced somewhere in the room. They had explained that they kept the iPad along with a laptop and external hard drive together in their luggage and were only missing the iPad and still had all their other possessions. We immediately called the police so that they could investigate the matter for themselves and have yet to contact us due to a lack of knowledge as to what could have happened. We asked the guests the model and information on the iPad and compensated them according to the current value of the item since apple has made newer models that depreciate the value of older models. This incident was the first of its nature that we have had since opening in 1972. We would also like to state that there is no way to verify that the loss was “stolen” and not simply lost during their travels because we were only going by what they felt had happened. That the iPad was taken from there belongings and all there other valuables and things had been left untouched in the room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I went to Belize and arrived to late for the ferries and needed a room for the night and looked up the Belgrove on tripadvisor and booked a room the city itself looked seedy but my stay at the Belcove was very good the room was super clean and the best shower I had on my trip.

Room Tip: I had the room with ac and a tv
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bgagnontc
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Great clean hotel and rooms. We chose a private bath and got a spacious room on the second floor with a little fridge. I loved it. We were pointed to some nearby restaurants and had everything we needed. It was great to sit out on the veranda over the water and just take in some of the local activity. I don't think I would wander the streets after dark but we were perfectly safe, secure and comfortable here at the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a corner room , so two large windows provided lots of natural light.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Make sure you have a room with AC and a bathroom and you'll be fine. It's all pretty basic with just a morning coffee offer but there's a morning cafe just up the street. Great location for onward travel and access to the cayes. There's not much to hold attention in "downtown" Belize City as the centre is little more than a small town. Decent restaurants are a cab ride away (just hail a passing car).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OnwardTraveller
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We only stayed for one night in this hotel waiting to go to the cayes. It is very clean and has rooms with AC. It is a basic hotel with no restaurant or breakfast, but the service is good and the location is great (just two blocks from the water taxi docks). It has a restaurant just beside it, so you can have breakfast or a couple of beers in the evening.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FelipeTGil
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed at the Belcove hotel travelling across Central America with my daughter. The hotel is very good located, nearby city center, by the river, however for some tourists the neighbourhood may be a bit unpleasant. The rooms and bath are clean and tidy. The receptionists are kind and nice. We had a room from the street side and it was quite. We booked the hotel over the Internet but I did not get the confirmation from the web page. Unfortunately after we arrived I was asked to pay for the hotel again as the communication between the reception employees did not work properly. WATCHOUT! The biggest issue I had was the conversation with the Hotel Supervisor Lady (I do not know her name as she did not introduce herself properly) about the double payment I have made. I have kindly asked her to refund the double-payment. I must say the conversation was complete disaster. The Supervisor was rude, agressive, arogant, told me this is not her problem and once she was upset by the merit and calm conversation she just turned around without any notice and showed her back without any single word. I was astounded, bewildered and slack-jawed. I have never had such a bad experience with the Hotel service in my entire life before. The situation took place at the reception desk in front of her reception-employee and in front of the other hotel guests. Due to the fact I was forced to contact the owner of the hotel Mrs Myrna directly. She was very professional and solved out my issue with the proper attention and customer care and without any delays. I would like especially to thank Jermaine for a great support and help as well as understatding and professional approach, which was NOT the case with the Supervisor Lady. I believe the owner should take the only one right decision and fire the Supervisor Lady (especially that Belcove was Trip Advisor Award Winner 2013) and replace her with Jermaine. JERMAINE IS VERY PROFESSIONAL, KIND AND GENUINLY NICE GUY! I believe the situation will not happen again to anybody in the future, but just in case, be careful to contact the Supervisor Lady. The rest was good;)

Room Tip: Steet side room with private bathroom was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter C
Quadra Island BC
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We spent one night at the Belcove on our way home to Canada from Placencia. It was clean and the A/C worked great! We really appreciated the pre-arranged transfer to the airport in the morning. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family