“First trip to Belize”

Ranked #9 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Toronto
“First trip to Belize”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I went to Belize and arrived to late for the ferries and needed a room for the night and looked up the Belgrove on tripadvisor and booked a room the city itself looked seedy but my stay at the Belcove was very good the room was super clean and the best shower I had on my trip.

Room Tip: I had the room with ac and a tv
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bgagnontc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Great clean hotel and rooms. We chose a private bath and got a spacious room on the second floor with a little fridge. I loved it. We were pointed to some nearby restaurants and had everything we needed. It was great to sit out on the veranda over the water and just take in some of the local activity. I don't think I would wander the streets after dark but we were perfectly safe, secure and comfortable here at the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a corner room , so two large windows provided lots of natural light.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Make sure you have a room with AC and a bathroom and you'll be fine. It's all pretty basic with just a morning coffee offer but there's a morning cafe just up the street. Great location for onward travel and access to the cayes. There's not much to hold attention in "downtown" Belize City as the centre is little more than a small town. Decent restaurants are a cab ride away (just hail a passing car).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank OnwardTraveller
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We only stayed for one night in this hotel waiting to go to the cayes. It is very clean and has rooms with AC. It is a basic hotel with no restaurant or breakfast, but the service is good and the location is great (just two blocks from the water taxi docks). It has a restaurant just beside it, so you can have breakfast or a couple of beers in the evening.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FelipeTGil
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed at the Belcove hotel travelling across Central America with my daughter. The hotel is very good located, nearby city center, by the river, however for some tourists the neighbourhood may be a bit unpleasant. The rooms and bath are clean and tidy. The receptionists are kind and nice. We had a room from the street side and it was quite. We booked the hotel over the Internet but I did not get the confirmation from the web page. Unfortunately after we arrived I was asked to pay for the hotel again as the communication between the reception employees did not work properly. WATCHOUT! The biggest issue I had was the conversation with the Hotel Supervisor Lady (I do not know her name as she did not introduce herself properly) about the double payment I have made. I have kindly asked her to refund the double-payment. I must say the conversation was complete disaster. The Supervisor was rude, agressive, arogant, told me this is not her problem and once she was upset by the merit and calm conversation she just turned around without any notice and showed her back without any single word. I was astounded, bewildered and slack-jawed. I have never had such a bad experience with the Hotel service in my entire life before. The situation took place at the reception desk in front of her reception-employee and in front of the other hotel guests. Due to the fact I was forced to contact the owner of the hotel Mrs Myrna directly. She was very professional and solved out my issue with the proper attention and customer care and without any delays. I would like especially to thank Jermaine for a great support and help as well as understatding and professional approach, which was NOT the case with the Supervisor Lady. I believe the owner should take the only one right decision and fire the Supervisor Lady (especially that Belcove was Trip Advisor Award Winner 2013) and replace her with Jermaine. JERMAINE IS VERY PROFESSIONAL, KIND AND GENUINLY NICE GUY! I believe the situation will not happen again to anybody in the future, but just in case, be careful to contact the Supervisor Lady. The rest was good;)

Room Tip: Steet side room with private bathroom was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter C
Quadra Island BC
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We spent one night at the Belcove on our way home to Canada from Placencia. It was clean and the A/C worked great! We really appreciated the pre-arranged transfer to the airport in the morning. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BCfamQuadraIslandBC
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Belize city overall is awful. We stayed there one night to recover from a 24 hour journey but if you can avoid staying there then do so.

The hotel is a nice, safe place to stay if you absolutely need to stay in the city. The double room we had was basic, clean, had a fan, private bathroom and TV although severely lacked ventilation....very stuffy night sleep. They do have a pretty balcony that overlooks the river. They provide a reasonably priced taxi service and free tea and coffee in the mornings.

The restaurant/bar next door also does good food despite the caged animal experience you might feel when sitting on their balcony.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple