“Property Horrible”

Seaside Guest House
Ranked #23 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The property itself is HORRIBLE by hostel standards. The room we were given had open cracks in the outside walls. We received no evening meal. The owners themselves argued loudly often. We way overpaid for our night here.

The only upside was the very friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjsugarcube

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed one night. The location was a bit far from the bus station but it is in the town centre by the seaside. The room was breezy and airy and clean. Room is a bit small but still acceptable. However, the kitchen was a real mess. There was no proper cooking utensils. Not to mention even a piece of towel for drying or cleaning the table. There was no dishwashing liquid or soap to clean the dishes. The kitchen was so run down and dirty. It was really impossible to cook
Worst of all, they charged you USD1 for 1 litre of drinking water. The room rates was USD22 for one night which is the MOST EXPENSIVE hostel I ever stayed in the whole of Central America incl. Mexico. With such bad amenities and poor conditions, it is not worth the USD22!

Room Tip: If there is no need to stay in Belize city, avoid at all cost.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chua H
Reviewed May 25, 2012

One of the least expensive places that you will find in Belize City, and therefore a good value. The staff were very nice and helpful, and the food was really good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2012

On the outside staying at this budget guest house may not be a good idea (downstairs rooms too close to the common area, other guests may be too noisy, new paint and repairs to verandahs and steps are advised), but the location on the waterfront in an historic area is ideal, the price is reasonable, the history is interesting, the place is clean, the meals and friendly helpful ambience of the staff who treat you like family are good and much appreciated (by this writer) and the experience is unforgettable eg I got bitten by a dog at another place in Belize on my first day and Gordon, a Canadian volunteer who decided to apply for Belizean citizenship because he fell in love with the place and the people bandaged my wounds, took me to the clinic, ran around town looking for medication and gave me a professional massage. Adelmar the manager is a celebrity in Belize and respected by all. She personally attended to matters in the aftermath of my dog ordeal, and drove me to the bus at the end of my stay. She and the rest of the staff are doing all they can to improve the way things are done at this guest house and complaints I read here from other reviewers are getting fixed.

The Seaside Guest House is colourful to say the least. Right out of a Caribbean or Hemingway novel. In fact the owner is writing his life story in words and drawings. For one meal, he took a bunch of American university students on spring break down to the nearby waterfront to catch fish and showed them in great detail how to fillet them, a short time later we were all eating them. That wouldn't happen at the Hilton;.

Room Tip: Go upstairs to a room with a bathroom. I will submit photos later when I get them to my computer.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynHancock
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed in this place for two nights, in a good private room for which I was charged less than the dorm price.
I think the price was good because the wall doesn't go all the way to the roof... So when people smoked in the living room (like the owner does) I had to breath the smoke. And in one of the nights I couldn't sleep because there was a party going on there.
The people who work there are really nice, though. Michael and the girls are great. The owner, however, can be a bit annoying... He is not a bad person but I think he has serious problems and he is very touchy- feely. I was a bit uncomfortable and I come from a country where people ate touchy... So I imagine that someone who comes from a country where it's uncommon would be REALLY annoyed.
And about Belize city, it's not dangerous, it feels like a small village and the locals are really nice and love to chat! Im really glad I stayed there.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I understand the previous comments. I stayed there 22 - 24 JAN 12. My room had screens which appered new. The place itself is not horrid. The folks who run it are great. Their evening meal and beer was good. To say "it needs repairs" is an understatement. The problem is the owner. I arrived mid-day on a Sunday and the owner watched multiple US football games on TV, in the commom room, with the volume at about 199 decibles (dB), switching from one channel to another in rapid succession. Frequent shouts of the "F" word signaled his dismay with the footballer. This continued until late: I took a sleeping pill and slept. The next day, there were no football games so he watched multiple US network programs, again switching from channel to channel. There is no apparent Belize smoking ban. Fortunately the constant sea breeze carried his cigarette smoke leeward from my room. However, the upstairs porch was windward and he smoked there. Otherwise this is an OK place. If the owner took the TV to his quarters, it would be recommended.

Room Tip: All second floor rooms I so are OK.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This hostel was by far the worst value of anywhere we stayed during 12 days in Belize. I agree with every one of the terrible comments before me, including those about the crazy owner with weird relationship troubles and a habit of including his guests in them. I also agree with the disparaging comments about Belize City in general.

I know that across town at the Sea Breeze Hotel you can get a big, clean room with crisp white sheets and a modern bathroom and AIR CONDITIONING for US$5 LESS per night! Do not stay here!!!

Room Tip: Go to the Sea Breeze Hotel, across the bridge! Much better room and cheaper!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple