“Fantastic day snorkeling with Sea Sports Belize” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea Sports Belize

Sea Sports Belize
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea Sports Belize offers daily diving and snorkeling trips to visit Belize's most popular reefs along the Belize Barrier Reef, Turneffe and Lighthouse Atolls. Our Wildlife Encounter tours are also very popular with families and our fishing charters popular with anglers! Come see Belize with us for the day, or spend a week with us exploring more of Belize! Scuba instruction is also available. We do it with LOVE!
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fantastic day snorkeling with Sea Sports Belize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I booked a snorkel tour with Sea Sports Belize for a day when my cruise ship was in port. The email booking process went smoothly. The minimum # for this tour was four people and, as I was solo and only one other couple had inquired, there was some question whether we would go. Eventually, they confirmed and said we'd go out even if it was just the three of us. Price was $90, paid in advance via paypal. Since the other couple was on the same cruise, they introduced us via email so we could coordinate and head over to their dive shop together. When we got to the shop, we were early so they invited us in to wait inside, where we chatted with the staff until our guide Victoria and the boat showed up. As it turned out, they'd added a couple of divers to our group. The plan explained to us when we set off was that they'd take us to a snorkel spot, which included a little sandbar in the middle of the reef, drop us there, and take the divers a little farther out to dive. Then they'd pick us up and take us for lunch on another little island Victoria's grandfather owns, and then we'd have a second snorkel opportunity while the divers did their second dive.

This was, by far, the best snorkel excursion I've ever been on. I can attribute that almost equally to the beauty of Belize's clear water and reefs and the skills, experience, and charm of our guide Victoria. The positives:

--The reef spot with the sandbar island in the middle of it was perfect. The coral and sea life was amazing there and the sandbar close by gave a feeling of safety and a spot to warm up in the sun after being in the water for a bit.
--Victoria grew up in the area and knows the reef, its history, and its inhabitants intimately. She kept us safe from the coral and the coral safe from us. At the same time, she pointed out the different types of coral and fish and what they were called, and carefully dove down and brought us things like sea cucumbers and urchins to look at up close. Then she gently put them back to continue their little lives. Without being too over-mothering, she keps us all in sight and checked in to make sure we were comfortable and safe. When the other woman's mask kept leaking, Victoria offered her own, which worked much better. And wherever we went, she towed a life-saver so we had something to grab onto when we stopped to talk about something or adjust equipment. I really couldn't have asked for a nicer, more knowledgeable guide.
--Lunch on the island was adequate: turkey pastrami and cheese sandwiches, chips, and sugared soft drinks or water. (I would have liked diet soft drink, but small matter.) The island encampment was rough living, and Victoria showed us all around it and explained how it all works. There were 5 dogs staying there with the guy watching over the place. At least one needed serious vet care, which was concerning, but Victoria assured me they were treating it. One can't expect the same pet care standards in other countries that we have in the US, I suppose.
--The after-lunch snorkeling consisted of us dropping our bags on the same sandbar island but going out to the dive spot on the other side and snorkeling back to the sandbar from the other direction. Victoria pointed out Queen Victoria's bathtub along the way (the story being that the sandbar was much bigger and Queen Victoria had a vacation residence on it before a hurricane in the 20's blew it to pieces). After about 45 minutes of snorkeling and another 15-20 warming up on the sandbar, the boat picked us up and dropped us off at the cruise port. Fresh fruit and water was offered on the trip back.

My only negative: there didn't seem to be enough drinking water for the group for the whole day's activities. We drank up every little bit and I would have liked a little more. Had something gone wrong and we were left on that sandbar for a little while, it would have been uncomfortable.

Also, this is not a negative comment about Sea Sports Belize: I was very disappointed that the other couple I was with did not tip Victoria when we exited the boat. I don't know if they just didn't know you should, or were short of cash or what, but she was so fabulous and it was a small group anyway. Guides often count on a substantial amount of their income coming from tips, so PLEASE REMEMBER TO TIP WELL WHEN THEY DO A GOOD JOB. Such a pity that the only tip she got was from me.

I can't wait to go back to Belize and get back out on the water with Sea Sports Belize.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Kaydub08

Toronto
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Hol Chan Marine Park & Shark Ray Alley with Sea Sports Belize”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We visited Belize city on a cruise in March and had prebooked a snorkelling trip through SeaSports. Linda was always professional and helpful in answering my questions via email. Upon arrival Seasports is just a short walk from the ship dock. We arrived, got forms completed and then waited awhile for our group to assemble. Some of our passengers were divers so we were a bit delayed in getting started as equipment had to be checked and loaded. The boat was a large open motor boat with a sun canopy - so nothing fancy. If you get seasick take heed and use seasickness medication as the trip was rather bouncy. I was anticipating a 45 minute trip tot he marine park but it ended up taking alot longer ..... more like 90 minutes which was a very long time in a small boat and I was glad it was not sunny.

Upon arrival at the Marine Park we got our snorkel gear on and our guide took us on a snorkel tour which was fabulous. It was worth the ride as I got to see lots of very colourful and interesting fish including two very large black rays with white spots. The variety of fish and corals was amazing and well worth the journey. We were given lunch on board which consisted of a rice and bean dish and chicken which was very tasty. Drinks were also on board including water and pop. The next stop was a 20 min ride to Shark Ray Alley. This was less impressive but there were lots of nurse sharks and small rays. It was quite choppy at that location and there was a current so most of us did not stay in the water for too long.

We then made the almost 2 hour boat ride back to the mainland in plenty of time to catch our ship. If I had to do it over again, I likely would have spent all my time at the Marine Park and skipped the Shark/Ray alley. I also would have considered doing a dive rather than snorkelling.

I would definitely recommend Seasports. Their guides were very knowledgeable and professional. They ensure that everyone was taken care of and were able to assist with equipment.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Satie37
Mobile, Alabama
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Murky day but GREAT dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We booked with Sea Sports and dove with them on April 23rd. Our dive master was Eli and Captain was Paul. These guys are GREAT and knowledgeable. Part of our group snorkeled while the majority of us dove. They took our group in separate boats and we met for lunch, which was an Island favorite. We had the option of going onto the beach or anchoring with the possibility of spotting Manatees. We chose Manatees, and that was successful. Eli is energetic and very knowledgeable of the area. I would definitely recommend this dive operation. Short walk from the tender terminal for cruisers.

Water was murky but the visibility was still around 80' which is still great.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Freddy T
Brandon, Mississippi
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Low viz diving, but good operation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in Belize on Carnical Conquest. Booked with this dive op and had a great experience with the group, we just had poor visibility. They took us to a pier where they served us homemade lunch. The dive master was very knowledgable about the sea life and pointed out several fish I have never seen.

Visited February 2013
Salem, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic Safe Dive Shop - Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My brother and I dove with Sea Sports Belize on April 3rd 2013. We booked this trip on our own several weeks before before arriving on Norwegian Cruise lines since Norwegian did not offer any port excursions that involved scuba diving. I am a former scuba dive instructor from New England Massachusetts and in my opinion the level of professionalism was excellent and started with my initial communication with Linda. She answered my emails promptly and answered all my questions. Linda sent a very detailed direct map of how to get to the shop from the ship so there was no problem walking there even with all of our gear. When we got to the shop my brother noticed that he needed a new mouthpiece on his regulator which the dive shop was quickly able to install a new one. Our dive master was excellent in that he fully explained our dive plan at each site and reviewed how we were to communicate remaining air left. The boats were small but fast. Back roll into water - no problem and quite easy. We were only 5 divers on board. Upon exiting the Captain was right there to help lift your weights, then all your gear, then fins out of the water (which I prefer un-gearing in the water) enabling an unencumbered climb up the ladder. At the surface interval we pulled up to a deserted beach which was amazing. The water was a surreal color of blue. (check out their Facebook page for my video post of this 360 view of the beach) We had a great hearty lunch included in the price of the dive which was delicious. Then another great second dive and then back to the shop. The dive master washed out our gear for us without even asking and even had someone from the shop go make a run for us to a nearby store for a six pack of some local bottled beer when we remarked that the only thing that would make this day better would be a cold beer! The captain offered to bring us back to the tender dock which we greatly appreciated! Tip these guys well... they work hard to make it a great day! I highly recommend this professional scuba operation and would definitely dive with them again! Email me with any questions.

Visited April 2013