“Bit out of the way”

Ranked #7 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Bit out of the way”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

This place is a bit out of Belize City and a bit away from the airport. This could be a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on what you are looking for. For us, it worked well. A US$7.50 taxi ride from the city centre and a $20-$25 from the airport at the time of writing.

The room we had was large - we had a comfortable king size bed in ours. The air con was already on when we arrived making the room a relief to walk in to. The en suite bathroom was okay. My only gripes with the room are petty, but I felt that it was a tad overcrowded with furniture (as per the photos to be honest - we just thought they were bad photos, they are not) and the sheets and towels were "cheap".

The furniture on the shared rooftop patio suffered similarly from being "cheap" plastic and nylon - well, that's how it felt.

That said, this is probably reflected in the price. Getting rid of some of the furniture would be a cheap start. Sheets next before towels! Then add an extra $5 to the price of the rooms to cover the additional comfort.

(I did say the gripes were petty)

On the positive side, the hosts were great and put a lot of effort into helping us feel comfortable, being there when needed and absent when not needed. Lewis cooks a great breakfast too. It is a short walk from a huge supermarket should you feel like getting your own food. Drinks are on site with an honesty bar.

Would we stay there again, yeah, why not? It is value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
redhutinn, Manager at The Red Hut Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your advice. We will try our best to continue to make improvements to serve our future guests, and hope someday we may see you in the future again. Thank you for choosing us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I came to Belize entirely unsure as to where one was to stay. Belize City is touted as a "dangerous place" by many westerners, and we were given strange glances when we said we were staying in the city. Truth be told, Belize City is probably not much more dangerous than most US cities, it just depends on where you go and at what time. The Red Hut Inn is located in a pretty quiet residential area, in which my wife and I were able to peacefully sit on a rooftop patio overlooking a river the runs parallel to the neighborhood. The only drawback is that within the city itself most Belizeans will tell you that there is not much to do. This is true. However, the people who own and work at the Red Hut Inn are always willing to assist you with travel needs. During our stay we were easily able to go to the Baboon sanctuary, San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and other places due to the willingness of the staff to help us get there. You can also put everything on your final bill so you don't waste your cash on travel expenses. Best of all, they charge fair prices and let you know how much a taxi rate should be from specific locations. It was a very comfortable stay.
The primary reason I give 4 stars instead of 5 is that the advertisement is a bit of a stretch. While I know that the principles of marketing have tendency toward embellishment, the idea that this place is a short walk from the Caribbean Sea is only partially accurate. I went with the expectation that the coastal setting might foster some nice beach side R&R, but the sea is largely inaccessible, and the coastline of Belize City is not established as a relaxing beach front. If you are traveling to Belize with the expectation of basking in the sun every day, you might be better off staying on Caye Caulker or San Pedro, as it would be cheaper to pay a slightly more expensive nightly rate than traveling to and from Belize City to the islands via taxi. If you plan on doing a bit more, such as visiting the zoo, museum, or interior tourist destinations, this would be a good centralized location with a friendly staff that truly aims to please. There is also a supermarket a short (walkable) distance away and a pretty good Chinese restaurant also within walking distance. I was a bit discouraged, however, that no restaurants with local Belizean cuisine were located nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tyler P
Thank you very much for choosing us. It was our pleasure to have you and for you to give us a chance to serve you. Thank you!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

There really isn't much to choose from in Belize City when it comes to accommodation. Red Hut is nothing much to look at, but it combines good value (in a country which is generally pricey for budget travellers) with basic comfort. The Inn is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the water taxi terminal and 20min from the international airport which means it is well positioned. There isn't much point staying near the taxi terminal has the historic centre of town doesn't have much to offer. Red Hut is in one of the nicer areas of the city just off the northern highway. It is about the same distance from centre of town as the Best Western. I paid $60 per night for a comfortable room. The AC was wonderfully cold and the shower had hot water. There is a pleasant terrace area with hammocks and good wifi. Sadly couldn't get wifi in my room. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts are good, but the $7.50 price is too high. There is a honour system for drinks, so you just record what you take from the fridge and pay on check out. Finding dinner is difficult. There is a decent Chinese restaurant about 500m away, but otherwise not much choice. A pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Julia and Lewis were excellent hosts and they definitely went the extra mile to make sure we were taken care of. This is a great place to stay with a friendly cozy atmosphere, very basic and clean rooms, and delicious home-cooked Belizean meals carefully prepared by Lewis, the chef. Definitely recommend it!

The location isn't very central (10 minute bus ride from downtown with a supermarket and a couple restaurants a short walk away). However, it was safe and didn't matter too much since the tour guide Trish lived onsite and drove us to everywhere we wanted to go. Trish was very knowledgeable and adaptable with what we wanted to see from the tours, and having it arranged through Red Hut Inn certainly made it more convenient and put me at ease as compared to arranging with other independent tour operators.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Warning to anyone travelling to Belize City NOT to make the mistake I made by booking through Booking.com to stay at the Red Hut Inn. I arrived there armed with a google map (from Booking.com) and had planned to walk the 'less than 2km' as stated on the website (don't try!) I eventually arrived at a house (no Red Hut Inn sign!). I entered through the garage/car port and was shown into a cluttered room with a desk in the middle (reception?) The owner advised me I could check in early for $10 which I declined but asked if I could see the room and leave my rucksack. I had booked a double bedded SUITE at US$60 a night (no breakfast), I was shown a small room packed with furniture with a toilet and small shower behind a curtain in one corner (Suite?)
Description of Red Hut Inn on booking.com's website is as follows:-
1. '100mtrs from Belize City's sea front'. Reality, sea is 100 mtrs at the end of the road but could not be accessed. Seafront does not exist. Belize City's seafront is in the City itself.
2. Less than 2 km from the City Centre. Reality it involves a good 10 min bus ride then a 15 minute walk.
3. Red Hut Inn boasts an onsite supermarket. No such thing exists!
4. Red Hut Inn is described as being within 15 minutes walk of many cafes, bars and restaurants. Reality, I walked for 15 minutes and only places I saw was a couple of fast food place on the side of a 4 lane Highway (no sidewalk).
This place is not as it is described on Booking.com's website and I decided I would try and find alternative accomodation that was really situated in Belize City. I explained this to the owners and left. Arriving back after my trip I find that The Red Hut Inn has charged me $180 for a 3 night stay! On contacting Booking.com I found that the owners contacted Booking.com and stated I was a 'no show', without hesitation or any contact with me, my account was debitted the full amount. Please take this as a warning. Ensure you read the actual Hotel's policy when you book anything online, they all vary. My argument with Booking.com is that the description of this accomodation is a serious case of misrepresentation. As far as the Red Hut Inn is concerned, you have been warned what the place is really like, it is expensive rooms in a house in a suburb of Belize City!

Room Tip: Anywhere other than Red Hut Inn, Belize City
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lisa G
Julia H, Manager at The Red Hut Inn, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
We find it surprising that Ms. Lisa G has posted this unfair review.
The truth of the matter is this: She arrived at 7am, having traveled by bus from Cancun, Mexico. Our stated check in time is 2 pm, but we do offer an early check-in for guests if the room is available. We charge $10 US for this. Naturally, she had the right to decline this charge and wait for the normal check-in time. She did so, but asked if she could use the bathroom and leave her baggage in the room, having decided she would like to go into Belize City. Upon her return at 11am - 4 hours later - she said she did not like the city and wanted to continue on her journey to another destination and that she would like to cancel the reservation. We explained that our terms and conditions published on Booking.com, Tripadvisor and our own web site state that a last minute cancellation will result in a charge being made for the total number of nights reserved. She stated that she was never aware of the cancellation policy published on Booking.com when she booked it, claiming it said there were no charges for , but that no charge would be made after you seen the place and toured the city and realized that it is not as you had expected. She agreed that she was never charged when the reservation was made and insisted that she would not pay for the 3 night’s accommodation she had reserved. We offered to keep the reservation open for her for up to one month, subject to the room being available, so she would be able to return at a later date but she declined.
None of the complaints she is making in this review about the property and the room was raised with us at the time.
We can accept that she did not like the property from the get go, though we do offer a clear and honest description of the property – including pictures of the rooms – and would have offered her another room more to her liking, but the accommodations themselves were not her stated reason for deciding to move on: she said she ‘did not like the City and intended to move on to her next destination’.
We suppose she had hoped that she would not be charged since she was never charged when she initially made the reservation. But the fact is: our ‘No Show’ and ‘Last minute cancellation’ policies, as stated on Booking.com, are essentially the same thing! She contacted Booking.com about the cancellation and was told she would still be charged for the reservation. Perhaps, if we had waived the charges, this negative review would not have been posted.
We are known for a high level of service and the review does not reflect our genuine desire to accommodate our guests in a way which meets their expectations.
Puyallup, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Julia and Lewis were great hosts! I was there for 8 days and it was really relaxing. Lewis is a exec chef and his dinners and breakfasts were outstanding. My room was very comfortable. Makes a great HQ will in Belize. I met several interesting people. They went out of their way to make me feel as if I lived there. Only draw back was the live-in British expat. Outside of that it was real and relaxing.

Room Tip: I had room 6, I think it did me fine. Only reason for the fitness center was, they bdo not have one...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Cobán, Alta Verapaz, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

First of all Julia and Lewis are two of the kindes and inviting people. Always making sure you are relaxed and enjoying yourself. My Girlfriend and I stayed there 2 nights and really enjoyed ourselves. It is a safe and clean place to stay. Rooms had comfy beds, a fridge, at T.V. anything you would need for a couple nights stay. Lewis is an amazing chef and I highly recommend trying out any of his meals. Best part of our stay was just the relaxed environment and the effort by our hosts to make us feel comfortable. Don't have a bad thing to say about our stay at The Red Hut Inn. Thank you Julia and Lewis!
-Alex and Lucas

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms and both were perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
redhutinn, Manager at The Red Hut Inn, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you very much, it was our pleasure to serve you and hope to see you in the near future.