“Online reservations don't mean anything”
Review of Bakadeer Inn

Bakadeer Inn
Ranked #8 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Online reservations don't mean anything”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We were traveling with 4 very hungry older teenagers from Placencia to Belize City on our way back to the United States. I made the reservations online at THEIR website and even had a confirmation. Two days and two rooms. When we arrived, we showed the printed out confirmation and were told they didn't have enough room for all of us--they just had one room. No apologies or explanation. Very disappointing as we have stayed here before and it was affordable and pleasant. We wandered Belize City for another hour trying to find a hotel. I will not be staying or recommending again due to this experience. It's unfortunate for them because we get many people inquiring where to stay when traveling to Placencia through Belize City.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank CliffofCliffwix

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Jasper, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Clean, friendly and helpful. Excellent accomodation for the cost!
Driver to and from airport arranged, no problem
Excellent restaurant in the vicinity.
Breakfast available on request.
Stayed twice, consistent service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank madnomads
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Good things: it has wifi, it's a relatively good spot in town, I can print stuff, has cable, it has cloth washing and ironing, serves breakfast, etc.
Bad things: it had a smell (not good, not bad, it just had a smell), it doesn't have the best architecture, breakfast is so so (be careful, they'll serve you any meal without asking you what you wanted, and they run out of supplies), the toilet wasn't fasten to the floor, bathroom is a bit small, etc.
In conclusion, you get what you pay for, 'cause is cheap.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank leoberreondo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 24, 2013

It is what it is. That is the best way I can describe it. This hotel is close to the airport and the taxi ride here cost $25 US. Miss Rashida greeted me with a warm and pleasant smile. My stay started off by me not getting the bed choice that I had booked on www.booking.com. When Rashida showed me to my room I was surprised to see two single beds instead of one double bed, but this is not a show stopper. I took a nice luke warm shower, but had no hot water. I didn't really care at the time because the room was so hot because the air conditioner was not turned on prior to me checking in. Before I went to the local watering hole, The Riverside Tavern, I asked Rashida about suggesting a tour guide for me. She made one phone call and hooked me up with Manny. When I got up the next morning I still did not have hot water, but this time it bothered me a little because the room had cooled down over night. I told Rashida and she had maintenance change the propane bottle that heats that water. I had an average American breakfast and another pleasant conversation with Rashida. It had rained off and on all night and started raining again while I was eating my breakfast. The water actually rose up high enough to find its way into the dining room floor, which is not a big deal because I was wearing flip flops and like adventures. When I went to leave for my tours that day, the water just outside the hotel entrance had risen to about 6-8 inches deep. Again, this is not a big deal to me because I did come to Belize for an adventure. When I took my second shower later that day, I finally had hot water. The WiFi did not work very good at all on the first day and night due to bad weather, but they did get it back up and running on the second day. So my stay had a few minor mishaps, but nothing to make me shy away from coming back in the future. The best thing about staying at this hotel for me had to be the approximately five minute walk to The Riverside Tavern and the suggested tour guide Manny. The hotel is a very basic money saving stay for anyone that is open minded and likes adventure. I stayed two nights and then went to the islands for some beach and mojito time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
North of Boston
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Booked hotel online based on reviews. Hotel safe area on outskirts of Belize City, not too far from airport. Only needed hotel for one night. Room on second floor, sparse but clean. A/C worked, TV worked, shower had hot water. Bed comfortable even for someone my size. Hotel run by husband and wife who are very nice and hospitable. No breakfast available as promised, kitchen closed both days i was there. Asked for a cup of coffee and got one without a problem. Hotel mostly caters to Europeans on their way to somewhere else inland or hiking. Rate was very good compared to others found on web sites. The owner picked me up soon after I arrived at airport and drove me back the next day. $25 USD one way, $40 USD RT. Very reasonable pricing based on my 10 years of going to Belize. Family made me feel welcome and I enjoyed the homey casual sense about the place. very quiet no outside noise. Would have loved to sight see if I had more time. Great launching point for your further travels in land.

Room Tip: Take a room on second floor at top of stairs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I recently spent 9 days at the Bakadeer, and loved my stay there. The room was clean and charming. The room A/C units worked better in some rooms than in others, but always provided respite from the heat outside. I can't say enough for the staff's hospitality; I was with a large group, and they worked very hard to provide us with a great stay. I hope to return!

The hotel is within very short walking distance of the Riverside Tavern, a great place to go for food and drinks.

Room Tip: Bottom-floor rooms are tiled; upper-floor rooms are carpeted. They are otherwise very similar.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Akron, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2013

What a bummer! Our stay would have been excellent had it not been for the transportation payment kerfuffle. The rooms, including the bathroom were clean, below average in comfort with the beds but will do since the AC actually worked quite. Used the laundry services and were extremely pleased, they were done the same day and smelled very very fresh. Food was ok, after seeing the kitchen though, and with great panades about 2 blocks away, I would say go get your food elsewhere! Overall, as I said, an ok stay for the proximity to things, and the functioning AC, but very disappointed on how they handled our transportation payment. The very last day when we were getting ready to pay for everything, Many, the transportation/tour guide dude, claimed that he had made a mistake on the invoice and that the cost for transportation from the Bakadeer to the TEC, and from the TEC to the airport was $240 USD not $240 BZD. The invoice agreed on weeks in advance was all in Belize dollars, and at the last minute, Many got all up on our face about how we were ripping him off and how he has made a mistake on so we still needed to pay in USD. The problem truly was between the Bakadeer management and Many, however they decided to side with Many instead and acted all angry and aggravated at the fact that we were refusing to accept that he had made a mistake and that he meant US dollars not Belize. Because of time restrictions were ended up going with their services but figured we get somewhat even by warning all of you to be careful. Might be better off renting a vehicle, and note that a lot of things are within walking distance. Really was looking forward to write something nice sine our experience was good, but after that incident I am very disgusted at the lack of responsibility and unethical behavior, so much we probably won't go back, or if we do we definitely won't use any of their "extra" services.

Room Tip: Seems like the rooms on the top floor are nicer than those at the bottom floor, meaning the restroom...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends