“No customer service!”

Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Belize City
Reviewed February 21, 2011

No towels in bathroom, nowash rags, TV Remote did not work. made 3 trips to front desk. Room not clean. No hangers. No one seem 2 care.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Peaches37
There are newer reviews for Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel

Reviewed February 18, 2011

We stayed at the Princess on January 3, 2011 and were we disappointed! We paid $145 US for the room via a bundler on line. It was supposed to have a gym, a pool, a jacuzzi, a full breakfast included with the room, a hair and nail salon, transportation to the airport, among other things. In other words, a nice upscale place to stay.
When we arrived we saw a sign that said something like sorry for the inconvenience, but we are remodeling. We could see that the gym was closed and dark. We had requested a non-smoking room. When we were taken to our room, it became obvious that the room had been smoked in. The bedspread had holes in it, the wall next to the head boards in the room had chunks of plaster missing, and when the air conditioner was turned on the smoke smell amplified to disgusting. There were no towels in the room, nor was there a remote for the TV. We told the young man who accompanied us to the room that we expected two complete sets of towels, and a working remote and another room. We called the desk to let them know that the room was unacceptable. We were told to wait there in the room. About 20 minutes later they sent the young man back to take us to a different room. It turned our that some other disappointed guest had already been assigned this second room. Ultimately, we were taken to a third room. This room did not smell like smoke and the bed spreads were complete, but old. The TV did not have a remote and there were still no towels. After another 20 minutes, the young man returned with a universal remote, 2 mismatched bath towels and a bath mat. He explained that they didn't have hand towels. He told us that we could turn the TV on and off with the remote, but that it would not change the channels. We had to do that from the TV. Additionally, the TV would not stay inside the cabinet. The sliding shelf upon which the TV sat was slanted toward the front, so the TV would slide out and stay out. The young man put a phone book under the shelf to keep the TV in place! There was a pool, but there was no water in it. There was no jacuzzi, nor hair or nail salon. The full breakfast included precooked hard boiled eggs, white toast, cold cereal, milk, orange juice, and about three fresh fruits that had been cut up, as well as instant coffee and tea. While there was a restaurant, it was open for only a few hours in the morning, a few at lunch and for a few at dinner. Otherwise it was closed. When it was open, it had a very limited menu and very few customers. The primary customers seemed to be hotel employees. There are no other restaurants within walking distance from the Princess, so we really were stuck. The restaurant consists one huge room with a nice view of the Caribbean, which is it's one saving grace. You could see that at one time it probably was quite a place, but not now. As for the transportation to the airport - they do have that - it costs $30 US per person for a shuttle and more for a cab! (Our cab from the airport to to town when we arrived cost $20.) I talked with the management about the room, the excessive cost, and the lack of amenities in working order. After speaking with the manager, she said she couldn't do anything about what we paid because we didn't book through the hotel's website. She did ask if there was anything else she could do for us. I suggested, she could give us our breakfast and lunch and a ride to the airport. She readily agreed to give us those things which did soften the blow. So while the workers at the Princess were helpful, the place itself would be comparable to about a $59 older room in the US. My suggestion is to wait until the place is rennovated to stay there. If you do decide to stay there now, make sure you get the room at a bargain price and don't expect much.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spunkynan
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We 5 people from the Latvian stayed Princess Hotel from 2011. in January. We can say only one - do not use this hotel. Absolutely nothing and not conforming to what they claim. The hotel does not leave the feeling that you are the last guest before the closure of the hotel completely closed off. Nothing worked, no pool, kitchen terrible, no business center, wi-fi very narrow area, and of course for an additional fee. It might still continue for long. The only thing that is, the local armada at the casino floor ...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2010

all the reviews are true from the smell of the lobby to the door to the hot water and the pics are false advertising its not a beautiful view. Its the main attraction so you have a lot of traffic from outside (non guest) we checked in went to our room looked at the view of our nasty water (dirty brown) and we left didnt even check out since we couldnt get a refund. And we went to San Pedro it was beautiful and even though we lost all the money for the princess it was worth leaving! I booked the hotel before I read ALL the reviews but once I read about it I still wanted to give it a chance it failed. But for Belize City it is a very nice place but not for a vacation spot, and they warned us not to go outside at night because it was in a dangerous area (not a good look).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank listen2thereviews
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I don't know where to begin...I have stayed here several times throughout the past few years. Years ago, the place wasn't all that bad...but it has progressively gotten worse, and this past say...well, needless to say I'm not sure I will ever go back. To begin with, we arrived at the hotel, and they never told us that there would not be hot water. Paying over $90 US per night, you think they would let you know. Then they told us the pool was closed due to rennovations. Then later they told us it was open, so we thought we would go down for a swim. When we got to the pool, there were no chairs to sit on, no towels, the place looked like it has been deserted for years and abandoned. We got in the pool as it was the only place to go and immediately saw that it had not been cleaned in who knows how many weeks. There was tons of stuff floating in the pool and as you moved through the water you could see dirt going everywhere. We got out...it wasn't about an hour later that my friend had a full-body rash. A trip to the concession stand left a sour taste in our mouth. The woman working behind the counter (with glasses) treated us like it was a complete disservice that we were asking her for anything. She might hate her job, but atleast try to be kind to customers. We did nothing to her. RUDE. In addition, the front desk called us to ask us if we were going to stay another night. We told them yes....then at 11:51 p.m, they called our room again to ask us if we were staying. I don't know why in the world you would call a room at that time of night when people are sleeping. I called the front desk earlier in the day to ask if they had wireless access for the room, they said yes, and that it was $25 dollars for 24 hours...pretty steep if you ask me, but i paid it anyways to find that the internet does not work in the rooms, and that you have to come use it in the lobby where you have to sit on plastic covered dirty white couches. I know i'm complaining a lot....but this place is really run down. I don't understand how you can charge people this much for a room when the service is barely mediocre, everything is filthy, and theres tons of staff just standing around. We had to call 3 times to get someone to clean our room. I'm not a picky traveler, but not impressed with rude customer service and uncleanliness. If you need a clean and nice place to stay, go up the street to the Radisson Fort George....the food, service, and rooms are much better. Everytime I come to the princess, I imagine the great things they can do with this space... but nothing is ever done. It's time for an overhaul for this place.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank moondancerbelize
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I was traveling with 4 other people, we stayed for one night to catch a plane from Belize city to Atlanta. This hotel is horrible maybe at one time it was great but now it is rundown, no lights in hallway to the elevator, security is poor. Casino is the worse I have seen, some machines won't take your money, and when you do win, the staff take forever to pay up. My friend had a fellow following her at the casino, and when she went to her room, he followed her there and tried to ram the door when she closed it, thank God she quickly hit the second lock, if not who knows what would have happened to my friend, later at around 2300 i came back to my room, it was pitched black and also had someone following me and tried to open the door after i was already in bed. My friend and I could not sleep from being so scared that someone could come into room.
The bowling alley is not in use. So please do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.
My other friends in other room, did not get towels at this hotel.
Food is terrible expensive and not very tasty, staff smile under the circumstances they are working in.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank ruthspillers
Reviewed September 5, 2010

I spent one night at the princess hotel and casino as a necessary stop off before heading out to the reef islands.
As Belize city is such a small and deprived place this is actually one of the largest buildings. The hotel generally feels like it was once quite grand before falling into disrepair and is now part-way through being slowly renovated. I noticed the famous 'smell' in the corridors downstairs, it's a bit like a mixture of rotten cabbages and onions. Our room was actually great. We were high up with a brilliant view of the Caribbean. The room was clean with air conditioning and the on-suite bathroom was nice and large although there were a few small chips in the tiles and scratches on the mirror. We were told the gym was free so went to have a look but were amazed at how dirty it was. It had broken equipment and loose electrical wiring. It's funny, but I would have had a much better view of the hotel if they just said the gym was closed for renovation rather than allowing guests into the worst areas of the building. The pool was a bit odd too, fairly big but it was crowded with local children when we were there.

Our stay was very cheap, half the price of the nearby luxury Radisson, so it was is basic but good value for money.

I would probably recommend the Princess to anybody needing a quick place to stay in Belize city, but if I returned I would definitely skip Belize city altogether and spend more time in other amazing parts of the country.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Best Caribbean Belize Pickwick Hotel
Island Magic Beach Resort
Island Magic Beach Resort
#6 of 19 in Caye Caulker

Been to Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel? Share your experiences!