“Best Value for great room and superb service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel

Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Belize City
New Orleans
“Best Value for great room and superb service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel was great! Staff, especially Ashante were also very helpful. Stranded at the airport after a 3 week stay in Belize- we were forced to stay in Belize City. After all we had heard, we were scared. My wife, 12 year old son and I. Someone suggested another major chain hotel in the area at 2 times the price plus! Quickly trying to make a booking for the hotels discounted rate on line, my son was reading reviews to me and I was hesitant to say the least. But, I needed a place for 3 nights, and the other hotel would have wiped our budget out.

I was shocked when we arrived! The Princess Hotel & Casino was absolute perfect. Sure, some weird smell is in lobby floor area- from the sea perhaps. But, Lobby was grand spacious, with 2 movie theatres, restaurant, coffee shop. Greeted by Ashante at the desk, who was super helpful and understood our situation. She made numerous calls for me to airport and gave clear directions and made us feel warm and welcomed! The place is still going through some new renovations, like pool bar and other public space stuff. Our room was wonderful, 6th floor, new decor, super clean with large bathroom, TV, AC and was by far the best hotel we stayed in our entire time in Belize. I don't know what these other people are talking about regards the pool and other items. The pool was "HUGE" and clean and very inviting. We admired our room and ran to it. While at the pool we met other travelers, and a large student group that was traveling all of Belize. We all spoke of how nice it was and how suprised we were compared to what we had read. New beds, furnishings, fridge in room, a safe.

I asked the security guard if a cheap family restaurant was near by, and he gave me directions to one. Later, at dinner time we decided to "splurge" in the main floor restaurant... which turned out to not be a "splurge" at all! The steak sandwich with fries and cole slaw was less then 6 USD, I had a large portion of fish and chips for under 6 usd, and service was great! Super friendly staff all around. In the AM, we took advantage of the breakfast buffet included. Large variety of fruits, cereals, breads, meats and an omlette bar, juices, coffee etc!

I can't say enough about our great stay here. I would recommend it to friends and family and would for sure stay there again on my next visit to Belize. Perfect for big groups too-
also had a health club and spa, which we never got to use, but looked great

Room Tip: Tell the desk clerk at check in what you want, we compromised a smoking room for top floor views. Al...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was basic. Our room was Ocean front overlooking the marina ($110 per night with breakfast). We had to pay an ADDITIONAL $21 USD for the third adult in the room even thought we SPECIFICALLY and REPEATIDLY told the reservation specialist (3rd party but phone number from hotel website) that we were THREE adults. I was disappointed that I couldn't simply check in and go straight to the beach. Grrrrrrrrr. We had to take a taxi to a "water taxi" center and from there go to an island. The buffet was included in our price (which is why I didn't mind paying additional per person just wished when I made the reservation they would have included it in the price). The room was okay but I wish it was cleaner. There's crazy security to get in the hotel (a metal detector). The buffet was pretty good. They had an omelette station and an orange drink that was delicious. Wish they had more soda and fresh water options. I may or may not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

My Fiance and I spent 3 nights at the Princess Hotel & Casino and I would NEVER recommend this hotel to any of my friends, let alone strangers. The hotel is worth more like 25 dollars a night as oppose to 100+ per night. When we checked into our room, we did not have a remote to the TV. Apparently they do not trust their guest. We had to ask go down to the front desk to ask for a remote. On top of that, the "cable" in our room was out! at about 1pm they said someone would be right up to check on it, no one came until 8pm. After the maintenance man came up, they said they couldn't do anything about it but call the cable company. We asked for a different room and when we got our new room, the cable was working but the TV was not clear at all. The bathroom smelled horrible. I am currently pregnant and was just constantly throwing up because smelled like dead fish or old period blood. (excuse my description but that was exactly what it smelled like) We had a ironing board but not an iron. We sent our laundry in before 9am and we told we would get it back by 5 pm. We DID NOT get it back until 2 days later and when we did get it back, it was not dry cleaned. it was washed in a washing machine and our clothes had faded. We tried to leave during the day on a tour to avoid the maid service but when we got back at 4pm the maid was in our room cleaning. She left without leaving us any towels. When she did bring towels back in the room, she only brought large towels. The breakfast was horrible but thank God it was free. The milk for the cereal was left sitting out and was very warm. We paid for dinner at the hotel at the first night and my fiance's steak was cooked completely done when he asked for a medium rare steak. The t-bone steak was so small. The waitress' were extremely rude as well!! Long story short, SAVE YOUR MONEY! Find a different hotel and have a great trip!!

Room Tip: Look around and dont book online! If possible, check the hotels yourself and then make your decision...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NSL1212

Travelers are raving about these Belize City hotels

Belmopan, Belize
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Whenever we go into Belize City for work, we usually stay at the Princess. It was good a long time ago, in 2003 or so. It has gotten progressively worse. The smell on the compound is awful. The grounds are not well kept, trash all over, dog poop, pool looks uninviting, ground staff not too friendly at all, and parking is taken up by the Casino guests. Parking in the back is terrible, and back access not always open. The lobby reeks of smoke. The girl at the bar took ten minutes to acknowledge my presence before asking what I wanted.

The room itself had issues. The light fixture in the bathroom was hanging open. The hot water did not always work. The AC did not always work. Ironing table but no iron, and only large towels, no small face towels. Bed felt itchy. Only saving grace was a girl named Guadalupe at the front desk, she was the ONLY person who smiled. If you can stay at the Great House Inn or Radisson, do so.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Weston, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here for a conference. The rooms are good, beds comfortable, flat screen tv. Bathroom could do with a bit more updates. Exterior of building needs a lot of work. Conference staff and front desk staff were very helpful. Staff at the restaurant that we go for breakfast was not so helpful and not very pleasant. Calypso restaurant food is good but could be quicker. All and all it was average at best. Had one problem, where I asked for my safe to be fixed and the maintenance guy came and tried to fix it and was to return but never did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hendersonville, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our third time staying here. We'd probably choose some place different, but we stay because one of our travel companions likes to go to the casino, and we don't like to wait up for him. We can retire, he can play and we don't have to worry about transportation to a different hotel.

The staff has been friendly and helpful both times. The rooms are large and they have sea views. The attached Calypso restaurant has good seafood. They have made some improvements since last year. We had newer towels and our bathroom was cleaner. Our a/c this year worked better, but that may have been the room. The jalousie windows in the bathroom aren't great for noise reduction or humidity control. Remember when you stay in Belize City, your hotel will probably not be like one of the resorts out on the islands.

The gift shop staff is very friendly. They have a decent selection and prices are very comparable to anywhere else.

I am not a gambler, but like I mentioned, our traveling companion is. Casino seems to be mostly locals (especially on the weekend). Last time we were there, there was a live show (dancers) that was entertaining and not too risque.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel smells awful! The ocean front is full of seaweed an smells like sewage. The food was edible, but not very good. A/C didn't work in 3 out of the 4 rooms our group had. My guess is that this was a nice hotel when it was built, but that was a long time ago.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Best Caribbean Belize Pickwick Hotel
The Great House
The Great House
#2 of 26 in Belize City

Been to Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel? Share your experiences!