“Much Improved”

Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Belize City
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Stayed here 3 years ago, and had lots to complain about. Mostly to do with the service at the hotel bar to be fair. Anyway we thought we would come back again as the hotel is well located with big rooms, with a great view of the sea. Obviously all these things are still there. We took a regular suite for $125, which is only $5 more than a regular room. You just get a bit more space which I think is worth the money. The bed was a super king and was really comfortable.
Only problem with the room was we didn't have a tv control. We asked at reception and eventually this issue was sorted, in a much better manner than I have experienced here before.
The bar staff have changed since we were last here and the lady was polite and attentive. It seems the Princess are trying to improve the service of their staff and at last are starting to realise how important this is.
Breakfast was included within the price. It was a good spread with eggs cooked to order and lots of different options.
All in all the place has improved a lot. If you haven't been here before and you are staying in Belize City with your family then this is a good option, as there is a large pool, bowling alley, cinema, gym and casino. I am giving it 4 stars purely because it is better than a lot of options in the City. Let me make it clear that it is not a 4star hotel, but it could be.

Room Tip: Book a Regular Suite which is only $5 more than a normal room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank atmontejo
There are newer reviews for Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel

Reviewed December 30, 2011

I don't like giving average or bad reviews, but I can't help with this one. Me and my husband spent 3 nights there, and we have problems. First of, they took 2 days to fix the hot water that wasn't running in our bedroom. They gave us two remote controls for the tv that didn't work, they charge an absurd amount of money for internet and the casino stinks a lot. The bowling area was dirty, also the little souvenirs store was WAY too expensive, if not the most expensive one I've been. We wouldn't mind to pay what we paid to stay there if the quality was better.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VenusianTaurus
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I have been to many Belize hotels but this was my first time to the Princess. Had scheduled one night. Room was clean and spacious. No amenities, frills, or extras. Bathroom was worn, sink drained slow. Shower was nice, good pressure. Beyond that it was a standard room with two double beds. I had a nice view of the bay which I think all rooms have, at least 4th floor and above. I thought the staff was very attentive but also, for the quantity of people, they did not seem to be doing much. I ate two meals, dinner was over fried but breakfast was great, with omelet made in front of me. They also have a seperate location selling baked goods and drinks. Casino was small but friendly. Mostly slots with a few table games. They do have a poker room but it was not open while I was there. They also have a twin movie theater if you are traveling with kids. Parking lot is gated and guarded, which you understand if you've been to Belize City.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I actually stayed in this hotel back in June 2008. To be fair I knew what to expect as have been in the hotel a number of times while in Belize but hadn't actually stayed there. I got married in Belize City in June and had brought 50 people over from the UK with me. To be fair to the Princess they had given me a good rate on 26 rooms for my guests. We actually got married at the Radisson but the price per room was alot higher, and there was more to do at the Princess.
The pro's of this hotel is that it has a casino has a lot of space, has a night club, also a cinema gym and bowling alley so my guests were thoroughly entertained while there. It is located nice and centrally and on the water.
The Cons - rooms are a bit tired and wouldn't even need that much work to bring this hotel up to a really good standard. I'm pretty sure this has not been sorted in the 3 years since I was there. Also the staff behind the hotel bar possibly provide the worst service I have seen in the world. Look I'm half Belizean so im being objective. Maybe the staff have changed in the last 3 years, but like the rooms I don't think so. I think the problem they have is that a drink costs more than they earn in an hour.
Thing is I would stay here again if with a large group, saying that I have booked the Biltmore for a couple of nights in December.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atmontejo
Reviewed March 24, 2011

No remote, no internet, no room service, False advertised Happy hours and specials. Like the location, onsite casino also nice. Would not mind the downfalls if it was less expensive.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Princess Hotel and Casino (PHC).

It's hard to describe PHC, it was definitely substandard when compared to American standards, but it was decent. I had looked at some of the other hotels in the area and this one was by far the nicest and also had free parking, they also had a nice little casino which I enjoyed.

Here's the thing, the place is a little run down, but the room was of decent quality. I usually just like a nice, safe place to lay my head so this was good for me. We had an amazing view of the Caribbean Sea and I got to watch the sun rise, which I haven't done in years.

You have to look at this hotel from the perspective of a non-American tourist. In America even your most basic of rooms is larger than most city apartments, furnished with tables, Egyptian cotton towels, and marbled floors. Those of us who are from Europe are not accustomed to those luxuries when we enter a bargain hotel. The hotel was more than adequate for 2 persons at $120 a night.

Included in the $120 a night was free parking and a free breakfast. The breakfast was out of this world, it was 100% fresh and homemade. My car was safe and did not get broken into or damaged in any way.

Now, people are right about the customer service to a degree. I was being helped by this Belizean woman at the front desk when all of a sudden this American guy, who was about 6'5, comes up, pushes me to the side and starts barking at this woman. I kindly told her I would be back and that she could help him first. Everyone was very polite to me.
The only problem I had with customer service was the fact that people expected tips for things I am not used to tipping for, things that I am pretty sure were part of their job description. But this is the standard in 3rd world countries, so I didn't give it a second thought.

No, when you enter your room you aren't going to find 1000 thread count sheets or piles and piles of the fluffiest towels you've ever felt in your life. But my friend and I sufficed with 2 towels and 2 wash cloths. Somehow we managed to survive.

The casino was nice, believe it or not. I won about $45 USD/$90 BLZD there, so I was happy with that. They give you ample liquor for free.

Calypso, the restaurant, was actually really good. We had no idea what they did to a basic hamburger and fries to make them so good, but they were just amazing.

Don't be such a snob, you're in a 3rd world country and you're not even paying enough to get the cheapest room possible in New York City. Get a grip and try to have fun.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank JamisonH
Reviewed February 21, 2011

No towels in bathroom, nowash rags, TV Remote did not work. made 3 trips to front desk. Room not clean. No hangers. No one seem 2 care.

• Stayed: February 2011
Best Caribbean Belize Pickwick Hotel
Island Magic Beach Resort
Island Magic Beach Resort
#6 of 19 in Caye Caulker

Been to Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel? Share your experiences!