“Unique Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 26 Belize City B&B and Inns
Southampton
“Unique Hotel”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed here in March 2007. I stayed here for 4 nights but had not pre booked, so my wife and I stayed in 3 different rooms. So funny that they have one price for all of them, and to be fair the smaller of the rooms was a lot better quality than the biggest room we stayed in. The hotel has a lot of charm and there is nothing quite like it in Belize City.
The only thing I would say is that the bathrooms are a little bit dated which is nothing to do with having the rooms in the colonial style, and also I think it is a little bit expensive at $140 a night, baring in mind the alternatives in the City that have swimming pools. (Although if you do stay, just take your towel and walk straight into the Radisson and use their pool! As long as you spend money at their bar you should be fine.)
The Smokey Mermaid downstairs is a nice restaurant that complements the hotel well, although they are 2 separate businesses.
The place is unique and I would recommend you try and stay at least once if you travel through Belize a lot.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank atmontejo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was in Belize on Business and my colleagues and I stayed there for two weeks. The staff are absolutely wonderful, the rooms are great, very large, with comfortable beds, a large comfortable reading chair and a great desk for working. There is a refrigerator in each room and that was wonderful for drinks and snacks for the two weeks. Not to mention the beautiful wood floors and the ambiance of this great old inn. The hotel has satellite and about 100 channels most from the US and so watching TV was like being home. The rooms have individual air conditioners and it worked great. The bathrooms are large and have lots of space for all my make-up and hair products.
The little bakery next door is great. You get a $5.00 BZ voucher each day and the coffee, pastries and jouney cakes are wonderful. The bakery is open till 8 PM so if you want coffee or sodas or an evening snack it is right next door.
We ate most meals at the Radisson and it worked out great. The food is good and you can get a burger or a meal. The Smokey Mermaid restaurant right down stairs was closed for renovation for most of our trip. It opened right before we left and we ate there. The food is good and the atmosphere is wonderful. A great place to sit, relax and talk over the day. Bring some bug spray for there.
The Great House doesn't have a pool, but for $5.00 US a day you can use the pool and exercise room at the Radisson, and that was also great. The Radisson has two pools and the one right next to the Great House is wonderful. By the way, I went into a room at the Radisson and look at it and the rooms at the Great House are 100% better.
In the evening after work we would sit on the third floor porch and discuss the day and have a drink, Like I said it was wonderful.
While there we didn't use a rental car, we rented a local driver Homer B, cell 604-4619. He is a Belize military veteran and a very reliable driver. He drove us daily, took us to the store or what ever we needed and for a very reasonable price. Much less than a rental car. Plus on my weekend off he took me to Altun Ha, the Mayan ruins. He stopped along the way and showed me plants, trees, birds and even tried to catch an armadillo for me. Once at the ruins he explained everything and even my photo guy while at the ruins.
On my return we will definitely use him as a driver and a guide. I missed the cave tubing and the other ruins and will definitely stay at the Great House and use Homer B as our driver.
By the way if you are there on business and need a place to meet 48 Baymen is a great facility. The staff are absolutely great and the facilities are very nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank LLH374
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I loved this hotel. The rooms were clean and the decoration lovely. We had a huge room. The staff were veary gracious and accomodating. I love the place and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This hotel is quite a gem in an otherwise unpleasant city. I was in Belize City for a work trip, and the hotel was surprisingly great. The rooms and bathrooms are big, and each room is uniquely painted and decorated. There is air conditioning in every room, and a small wall hair dryer in every bathroom.
There was a cute little bakery next door to the hotel, and The Great House gave every guest a daily voucher for 5 Belizean dollars to eat breakfast at the bakery. The hotel is a short walk to the docks where you can catch a boat to go snorkeling, scuba diving, etc. The food at the restaurant downstairs in the hotel wasn't great, but it was convenient. Some of my colleagues ate instead at the Radisson across the street and at a hotel named Chateau Caribbean down the street.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lab2011
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This is a copy of an email I sent to Steve Maestre, Proprietor of Great House. Note: ALL ROOMS were effected.:

Attn Steve Maestre,

We stayed at your establishment on June 17 and to say that is was not pleasant would be an understatement. I would call it totally unacceptable.

We failed to be able to get to sleep until after 3am.
There was a party going on at one of the bars beneath us and it was unbelievably loud. We were in room 1. We could not only hear the party, but the parking lot was filled with people yelling and partying.
At about midnight I finally went out to complain to the desk. No one was there. I went into the parking lot to find security. No one was there. The only security in your hotel was the fact that the front door was locked!!!!! That is it.

The next morning I asked to see the on site manager and waited an hour for her to come over. Her comment infuriated me! She said there was not supposed to be a party there. Further she stated that when there was a party, they were supposed to be notified before hand so they could warn the guests. WOW. What are the guests supposed to do?
She only charged me half the price for the room. I guess her logic was the since I got half a nights sleep, I should pay half.

I can assure you that I will not stay at your establishment again. I book hotel rooms to sleep, not to listen to partygoers having a good time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bookie13a
Shelly020, Guest Relations Manager at The Great House, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
We fully understand and accept that the above complaint is valid. We must however emphasize that neither does our wine bar or our restaurant stay open late and this is the first about any complaint about noise. We did check with our other guests and we were assured none of them heard any disturbances that night. We do know however that this guest room was located directly above the wine bar and some of their clientele were loud in the car park in departing. On Saturday morning a complaint was made to our Front Desk receptionist, our duty manager was to arrive at 9:00am but having received the complaint by phone she immediately prepared herself to meet our guest and drove to The Great House. The guest was offered our full apology and a 50% for the night stay. At the time the guest seemed satisfied with this arrangement. Again we fully understand the discomfort our guest endured and as that being the very first incident we can a sure this and all others we are committed to their solitude and comfort.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We had a recent overnight stopover in Belize City on the way to Guatemala. From looking here and in guidebooks, it sounded as if the choices in Belize City were somewhat limited and short on charm. The Great House was a good stop. The house itself is a wonderful old-style charmer. Their patio restaurant/bar is a relaxing spot to enjoy a meal/drink.
It's not 4-star...but doesn't claim to be. It's an old house. You have to haul your suitcase up a couple flights of stairs, the floors creak, the furniture is a bit old. But, we thought it had some charm...especially once we got out to walk around and saw some other choices. Belize City is not where I'd plan to stay much longer than an overnight visit and we thought The Great House provided a clean, comfortable overnight stay with a bit more charm than the Radisson next door. The staff arranged transport for us to/ from the airport with very nice drivers. There was ez, free wi-fi in the room. Some tables/chairs out on the terrace on the 3rd floor outside our room that were a nice place to relax in the evening. For a quick overnight in Belize, it's a good stop.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank TEEVEE
denver
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This is the second year we stayed at The Great House in Belize City with a group of students and we hope to be coming back for many years to come. The accommodations are very comfortable and everyone at The Great House makes us feel right at home. In addition, they are incredibly accommodating and arranged for all of our transportation needs with ease!

The location is great, walking distance from the tourist village, and with a view of the Caribbean from a number of rooms.

I wouldn't really describe any negatives. The Wifi access is a bit spotty, but that's relatively minor.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
#3 of 7 in Belize City
Villa Boscardi
Villa Boscardi
#1 of 26 in Belize City

Been to The Great House? Share your experiences!