“Excellent day with Allen and Jeff”

Experience Belize - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$55.00*
and up
Belize City and Altun Ha Mayan Site Tour
Ranked #24 of 81 Tours in Belize City
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a sightseeing tour operator offering tours to Altun Ha Mayan Site.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My in-laws, kids, my wife, and I did a tour with Allen and his son Jeff this week, and it was a fantastic look at Belize City and the Altun Ha ruins. Allen patiently answered ALL my questions, and trust me, there were plenty of them. Allen was able to answer all but one of them off the top of his head. I learned all I wanted about the Mayan ruins and the countryside. We had plenty of time at the ruins to explore and climb them.

This is the best Belize tour I have done.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I booked this tour after I read the reviews on Cruise Critic. Best tour I have ever been on. Allen was waiting for us when we got to the lighthouse (and we were late). Allen was very knowledgeable about Belize and the Altun Ha ruins. He answered every question we asked. Would highly recommend Allen as your tour guide!!

2  Thank Prue48
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Even though I was staying in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, I booked this tour from Belize City because it included not only the tour of Altun Ha, but also a tour of Belize City. Allen is a great tour guide because he has a lot of knowledge about Altun Ha as well as Belize City and Belize in general. He gave me plenty of time to take photos and climb the different temples. He also provided soda and beer to quench my thirst. This tour exceeded my expectations and I will definitely use this tour company in the future when I’m in Belize. The fee for this tour is well worth it and a great value.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I booked this tour based on recommendations from Cruise Critic and I am so glad we did.

We got on the 2nd tender and our tour was to start at 9, however since the others in our party were off at 8 they all started the city tour early. We showed up at 9:05 and they were about done with it. Which was a bit of a bummer but i didnt book this to see Belize City anyway.

We met up with the bus and were quickly on our way to the ruins. We had about a 35 minute ride with a stop at a gas station to use the restroom, and of course buy something. I think you should buy something at these bathroom stops since the tour must have a deal with the station, plus in most countries outside the US you cant just stop and use the restroom for free anyway.

After the stop there was about 30 more minutes on a very poorly maintained road. This didn't bother me but if you have any back issues you should bring some advil.

The site was fantastic! Allen was a great guide who was quite knowledgeable. We visited every structure and he shared something about every one of them. He kept trying to maneuver us to all the shady areas that are available. This however makes no difference to me but i am sure the others in the tour appreciated it. They also had plenty of cold water and beer available for everyone. There were only 10 people the day of our tour and that was perfect if you ask me. I hate being herded in those big tour buses with 80 of the closest strangers. This was a very personal tour.

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants to have a taste of what the Mayan life may have been like. Also if you are interested in Belize and current life in Belize this would be a great tour as Allen and Leah are both natives and can share many aspects of life in Belize.

1  Thank vtoria981
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We traveled with Allen and Leah as our tour guides to the Altun Ha ruins in August 2013. We got off to a somewhat frustrating start since some of our fellow passengers on our Carnival Dream cruise decided to sleep late. So, we were waiting in Belize City with Allen and Leah for some other cruise passengers to get off of the tender, which leave the ship in the order of when you get your number at the designated tender gathering point on your ship. If this happens to you, you can ask Allen to start the tour of the city on time, and the rest of the passengers on your ship who decided to sleep late can catch up to the bus after the city portion of the tour is complete, and when the bus is ready to travel to the ruins. The tour of Belize city was an hour. Then, an hour drive to the ruins, spending 1.5 hours at the ruins, and then one hour drive back to the port. So, the tour was 4.5 hours total. Allen is an excellent tour guide, and Leah was great. Both grew up in Belize, and are so knowledgeable. Allen saw a person riding a bike along the road wearing a hat and sunglasses. It looked like nobody to me. Allen explained that the person riding the bike wearing a hat and sunglasses was a member of a certain political party who had recently held office, and who was recently voted out of office in Belize. To anyone who was less knowledgeable it would have appeared to be just a person on a bike with sunglasses. There were so many things that Allen and Leah shared with us that impressed me, I was trying to soak in all of the great pieces of knowledge about this unique country. At $45 per adult, and $25 per child, this tour was a good value, and children under age five are free. It included cold beer, water and soda, but no lunch. One person on our tour needed a potty break on the way to the ruins. So, we asked to stop and we stopped at what appeared to be like a convenience store. We got juice, chips, cracker jacks, snacks, etc. I am so glad they asked to stop since this turned out to be our lunch. I enjoyed the convenience store since it was a glimpse at real life in Belize, and not just life at the Mayan Ruins, which is obviously a tourist destination. The convenience store items cost $22 Belize dollars which translated to $11 US dollars, and they accepted my credit card so the transaction was easy. The lunch at the Mayan Ruins was optional to purchase and we did not buy it, but bought a few bags of M&Ms instead there. The optional lunch area at the ruins was not appealing to me, as sanitation was uncertain. To summarize, Allen and Leah have been tour guides for nine years, and they only do trips to Altun Ha now. I highly recommend them as knowledgeable guides. We even got to see their neighborhood where they live currently, and also the neighborhood where Leah grew up. However, you will have to tender into this port of Belize from your cruise ship. Tendering takes much patience, and my advice is to get up early to be on an early tender. Ask Allen for the tour to start on time, and the late risers on your cruise just miss some of the tour that includes Belize City. Enjoy, as this was my favorite part of my entire cruise! Now, I feel like I know so much more about the unique country of Belize which became a country in 1981 .....(P.S. English is the language of Belize!) Also, the tender back to the ship went quickly and was very easy. So don't hesitate to tender which means you can hire a private guide that you have researched and conversed with over the internet. Leah answered many of my questions over the internet before we even left home.

1  Thank esther046