“Safe and Value for the $”

North Front Street Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Belize City
North Front Street Guest House
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have stayed here twice and for the money, its OK. Its safe, which is most important. Second, its close to the water taxis. They finally paved the street out in front, which makes it much better. The family who runs it is nice, and if you are looking for a cheap room in Belize City, this could be the place. I pay $25 for a private room and shared bath. Not bad. I would stay here again if I am alone and looking for something cheap.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael W

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Based off of the price, we can all expect it to be a little under a 5 star quality. The new owner, going on two years now, is putting a lot of work into the hotel, from hiring an artist to paint murals in every room, to being available whenever needed, and willing to assist in basic requests. The location was nice too, right down the street from the water taxi, and located by many quaint eateries. The only downfall I found was the window situated in the front lobby area, that allowed all sorts of noise to pass through. Luckily for me, I'm a heavy sleeper, so it didn't bother me, but a forewarning to the lite sleepers. And yes, the mattresses are made of foam, but if you're only staying for a night or two, it's not a huge deal. In comparison to the Smokin' Balam (located right across the street) , I would much rather choose this guesthouse based off of the tight rules the owner has about a 11pm curfew and a $10 wifi charge.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Biana M
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband & I arrived too late to get a boat to Caye Caulker so had to stay a night in Belize City. We looked up Lonely Planet & decided on this hostel because it said that the owner of this place "runs a tight ship" & it was "basic, clean & safe" & that it had wifi & was close to the water taxi for Caye Caulker.
Location was fine although the area felt a little dodgy at night (the shop across the street had bars, like a prison) to separate shopper from the owners, but it was close to the water taxi.
The guy who runs is was friendly & helpful & we had a fairly nice meal for quite cheap in the evening.
However, it was so dirty. The sheets in our bedroom had stains on & we couldn't sleep on the pillows as the smell was so bad. The mattessess were so thin that you could feel the solid wooden base through it. The shared bathroom was grimy & smelled of urine. The whole place had a nasty smell to it as well.
Our room was at the front & the whole room shook when large trucks drove past!
Also when we asked about the wifi (advertised in LP) they knew nothing about it! They've never had wifi! I guess that's more of a LP error however.
Also it was $40 Belize for a room which is way above what they should be charging considering how it is.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Jessicabladen
Reviewed December 1, 2012

It's cheap for a reason people. It is very basic but for backpackers it is okay for 1 night passing through Belize city. Bathrooms are not very nice. i had a lock on my door so that made me feel better about leaving stuff in my room.it's a 5 minute walk from city center and to the boat departing for the islands. people were very friendly there.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back as the street is very noisy!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mosseyutd
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed in a tiny room with two single beds. It was a bit hot inside but we were given two fans so we managed. The mattresses were old and thin and one of the beds was missing a bottom board which was kind of uncomfortable. The bathrooms are really damp and there is only cold water which is not a problem in these climates. There were lots of people around and it was at times difficult to tell who was a guest, who was working there and who was just hanging around. In the middle of the night my friend found a man locked in a bathroom calling for help which was a bit strange since the cubicle had been locked from outside.

All this said this place is an ok place to stay and the people are very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MiiFinland
Reviewed January 15, 2012

The review above is a very accurate one: the place is friendly, cheap and smelly, which is not bad, just average for a city that has many drawbacks. I will write a separate review of the place across the street which I don't recommend either.
One important thing to consider is the safety of your property. If you come to Belize please do not bring a lot of valuables, it's not safe.
For the rest, this property also has a kitchen and a line to dry your clothes in the back.
They don't mind you drinking or smoking if that's your kind of thing, and I haven't had a bad experience there, but I noticed other people lost their stuff in their own rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street, of course.
Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I arrived late at night in Belize City so relied on our Lonely Planet guide. We first went to Smokin Balam Guest House but the staff there were extremely rude and unhelpful that we didnt want to stay there. Just across the road is Front Street Guest House which LP describes as "basic, safe and clean". Both places are pretty similar to each other. The guy working in Front Street Guest House was super friendly and always gave us info on anything we needed. He even let us use his mobile phone and gave us contacts for some activities we wanted to do. It is situated about a 5-10minute walk from the water taxis to Caye Caulker and a 15minute walk to the main bus station so good location.

I cant say the LP book was accurate though. It was basic yes, we had a room with 2 single beds with old saggy matresses that smelt damp and musty - making our clothes smell the same! It wasnt the cleanest place and the walls were super thin - probably just drywall! So you could hear pretty much everything that went on - even 5 rooms away! As for safe, we had one of those small cheapie padlocks that you could pretty much just pull off and it would break so I wouldnt say it was safe, although the guy running the place did seem to be near the front door a lot of the time. But I still would have liked more security on my door!

The bathrooms were extremely old, cold water. 2 showers, 2 toilets and 2 sinks situated downstairs. A bit doom and gloom but it all did the job for 1 night. Wouldnt have stayed any longer.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple